Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2015, 06:44 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What do you guys think of someone upgrading to this camera (K-S2) from a Kr for wildlife/birding and a good lens to match?
I suppose we have to wait and see, right?

JP

02-09-2015, 06:48 PM   #32
Veteran Member

II'm having a good feeling about the S2. I did not care much for the S1 because of its look but this one seems to be a nice camera. And the launch price, for once, seems reasonable.
02-09-2015, 07:00 PM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
What do you guys think of someone upgrading to this camera (K-S2) from a Kr for wildlife/birding and a good lens to match?
I suppose we have to wait and see, right?

JP
I'd say it would be a huge improvement, but so would be the K3 at a similar price. Would you use the flip screen?
02-09-2015, 07:03 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
I'd say it would be a huge improvement, but so would be the K3 at a similar price. Would you use the flip screen?
That wouldn't be for me : for my daughter looking to upgrade from her Kr.
But yes, she would definitely use the flip screen for landscapes. She has started to do birding (with a tele lens) but also scenery: she even got a Sigma 10-20 recently.

JP

02-09-2015, 07:08 PM   #35
Pentaxian

I like how they put the red ring around the mount and the green ring on the outside of the lens.
02-09-2015, 07:19 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Yep, the attitude shift here is nothing short of amazing. I'm not sure I can stand all the positiveness................ I wonder if everything will be announced prior to CP+ or if they saved something back. Already an impressive list, though.
The K3 replacement at CP+? Or maybe a new GR? Some more FF lenses for the upcoming FF? Redone FA limiteds? Or a close to working model of the FF camera? I'd be happy with any of those lol.

Pentax/Ricoh is on point right now. I might actually get this KS2 in that olive green for birding/wildlife photography.
02-09-2015, 07:22 PM   #37
Veteran Member

I like the K-S2 more than a K-3. Lighter weight, WiFi and swivel screen are big advantages.

02-09-2015, 07:32 PM   #38

Some very nice firsts here for Pentax, and in a slim body. The Stone Gray's my favorite followed by Desert Beige. Looking at the specs it's rated to 32F instead of the usual 14F for Pentax WR. A different kind of sealing for this body?
02-09-2015, 07:37 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I read this: "Plus, it also brings unique features to the table, such as the AA filter simulator and in-body Shake Reduction which can not only stabilize any lens, but also make any lens act as a shift lens! "

Read more at: Pentax K-S2 Officially Announced - Pentax Announcements | PentaxForums.com

Not quite sure I understand this part: ALL lenses will then be useable as a real "quick-shift" lens ??? Probably not the same thing ... I am (again) confused !

JP
02-09-2015, 07:47 PM   #40
Veteran Member

The K-S2 camera specs look great. Finally a Pentax with an articulated LCD screen. Sure took long enough !

I'm slightly disappointed that this doesn't have at least 60p video recording, if not 4K - but I guess that will be on the FF model.

I don't really care for the colors, though. And the colored models are not all that colorful - only a little bit at the bottom, not the whole body, except for the white body.

Let's see how long it takes for the price to drop to a more reasonable level. I paid over $800 for my K-30 back in 2012 so not about to pay early adopter price again
02-09-2015, 07:49 PM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Just to point out the K-S2, if it does replace the K-50/500, does away with the AA battery option.

As it is appears to be a K-50 spec including WR I would say the K-S2 is the replacement.

The built-in wi-fi and NFC are very welcome additions.
02-09-2015, 07:50 PM   #42

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
I read this: "Plus, it also brings unique features to the table, such as the AA filter simulator and in-body Shake Reduction which can not only stabilize any lens, but also make any lens act as a shift lens! "

Read more at: Pentax K-S2 Officially Announced - Pentax Announcements | PentaxForums.com

Not quite sure I understand this part: ALL lenses will then be useable as a real "quick-shift" lens ??? Probably not the same thing ... I am (again) confused !

JP
The composition adjustment feature (not just limited to the K-S2) allows you to move around the sensor, mimicking the effect of a shift lens. Check out mikeSF's thread chronicling his use of it, and an these two articles/videos by the PF staff
02-09-2015, 07:56 PM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by goodnight Quote
The composition adjustment feature (not just limited to the K-S2) allows you to move around the sensor, mimicking the effect of a shift lens. Check out mikeSF's thread chronicling his use of it, and an these two articles/videos by the PF staff
Ok !! Now I get it !
I had it all wrong.

So, that can be achieved with the K5 as well ... interesting.
02-09-2015, 08:03 PM   #44
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I don't get the logic of coming up with 20MP sensor. It's targeted to customers where MP matters and more importantly Nikon/Canon entry models have 24MP.
02-09-2015, 08:28 PM   #45
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by yusuf Quote
I don't get the logic of coming up with 20MP sensor. It's targeted to customers where MP matters and more importantly Nikon/Canon entry models have 24MP.
I'm not sure what customers this is targeted to, but I know that I'm someone who will be in the market soon for a camera exactly like this, and I am concerned that they are reaching a point where the sensor may be too crowded, and loss of other IQ characteristics may overwhelm improvements in detail.