Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-28-2015, 11:10 AM   #331

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
I am not sure if anyone agrees that it is useful or not, but after switching between spot metering and center-weigh metering in a recent gig, suddenly something occurs to me - why can they not make the spot metering to center-weigh metering in steps or something in between (or perhaps make the spot size adjustable). That would be a great feature to have in the pro/advanced camera model.
The most interesting thing they could do would be to reduce the spot surface which is too big on th K3. Pro models from other brand have a smaller spot so it's more precise to set a good exposure.

02-28-2015, 11:20 AM   #332
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Black_Wizards Quote
The most interesting thing they could do would be to reduce the spot surface which is too big on th K3. Pro models from other brand have a smaller spot so it's more precise to set a good exposure.
smaller spot is not necessarily a good thing either... something adjustable would be most helpful.
02-28-2015, 11:48 AM   #333
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
AFAIK the only problems with KatzEyes (and co.) screens with split screen are hen using spot metering fith f5.6 or lower (when it becomes dark so obviously throws the metering off).

As for the spot metering itself, I use a 1░ spotmeter when shooting 4x5. I really would like 1░ spot in a Pentax. I don't see the problem with a 1░ but if 3░ can get someone happy, lets get 1/3/5░ spot
02-28-2015, 12:37 PM   #334
Pentaxian

I ran into a situation where I have 2 kungfu masters doing their moves on stage, one is dress in all-black and the other one in all-white. I seem to be able to hit the one dressed in white more often than the one in black....and it is on-stage and lighting is on the stage only - otherwise, pretty much dark aside from the stage. I am using TAv mode, I later try using M mode after a few tries.

Last edited by aleonx3; 02-28-2015 at 12:42 PM.
02-28-2015, 12:56 PM   #335
Loyal Site Supporter

I ran into a situation where I have 2 kungfu masters doing their moves on stage, one is dress in all-black and the other one in all-white. I seem to be able to hit the one dressed in white more often than the one in black....and it is on-stage and lighting is on the stage only - otherwise, pretty much dark aside from the stage. I am using TAv mode, I later try using M mode after a few tries.
In such a low light, low contrast situation you may be better off with manual focus, Aleonx.
02-28-2015, 01:18 PM   #336
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
In such a low light, low contrast situation you may be better off with manual focus, Aleonx.
Thanks, you are correct about focusing and I am with you on that, but I am referring to metering (so I don't have blown highlights in many of the photos focusing on the one dressed in black and too dark for the one dressed in white).
02-28-2015, 01:30 PM   #337
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks, you are correct about focusing and I am with you on that, but I am referring to metering (so I don't have blown highlights in many of the photos focusing on the one dressed in black and too dark for the one dressed in white).
Oh, apologies, Aleonx - of course you're talking about exposure.

Are you not metering their faces, though?
02-28-2015, 01:37 PM   #338
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Oh, apologies, Aleonx - of course you're talking about exposure.

Are you not metering their faces, though?
It is not possible as they moved very quickly.... I use MF m42 lens and snap focus-release (higher success rate than auto-focus). For the most part, I get the body in focus which is the reason why APS-C in this case works better with a more DOF than those guys using FF and longer lens.

02-28-2015, 01:38 PM   #339
Pentaxian

M mode is the (only) way to go in such situations - if you can be sure the lighting does not change during the shooting.
02-28-2015, 02:49 PM   #340
Pentaxian

Thanks guys, for all the great input... nonetheless, a more refined 'spot' metering option would be very helpful; otherwise, a bit of trial-and-error will still work (this is where experience comes in very handy). Cheers!!
02-28-2015, 05:32 PM   #341

The MOST AWESOME spot metering system strategy that I ever encountered, regardless of being in-camera or a dedicated meter- was offered in the Olympus OM-4 as 'Automatic Multiple Spot Averaging'. It could handle up to 9 measurements- although I found that no more than 3 were typically really necessary. The display info in the viewfinder was laid-out as a linear bar along the bottom of the screen showing individual segments of 1/3 stops along with shutter speed or aperture (according to mode). Each reading placed a fixed diamond at its particular value along the bar graph, a flashing diamond then indicated the averaged result. At the time Olympus used the ring equivalent to the Pentax depth of field switch to clear the measurement memory. Incredibly fast, informative and easy to use! 1st spot on the darkest or lightest part of the subject, 2nd spot on the opposite- immediately can read the contrast range of the subject against the speed or aperture settings. The average between the two is already blinking and locked-in ready for automatic exposure. At this point you can instantly choose to accept the average and press the shutter release, or change to manual override (knowing what your contrast range is and its average camera setting), or you could instantly bias the automatic exposure system by including an additional spot reading(s). For example just placing a 3rd spot once again at either the darkest or lightest part of the scene will bias the exposure to 3/4 of the contrast range in favor of that end. This was incredibly useful in the days of 5 stop slide film and only 3 stop printing latitude! Being able to apply and simultaneously view more than 3 measurements enabled scene tone mapping. In cases where the contrast range of the image greatly exceeded the latitude of the medium- you could always elect to quickly clear the memory and substitute metering the extremes to metering the items you wanted near the distinguishable limits of the restricted latitude. Incredibly powerful in terms of information gathering, decision making, convenience and speed!
02-28-2015, 05:44 PM   #342
Veteran Member

I find photographing birds in trees difficult with the size of the centre spot on my K5. A smaller centre spot would sure be helpful.
02-28-2015, 07:07 PM   #343
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bobell69 Quote
I find photographing birds in trees difficult with the size of the centre spot on my K5. A smaller centre spot would sure be helpful.
I am not sure if spot metering and focussing spot are the same (or may be they are)... agree with you that smaller focusing point could be helpful especially in the situation you mentioned.
02-28-2015, 07:16 PM - 1 Like   #344
Pentaxian

I am not sure if spot metering and focussing spot are the same (or may be they are)... agree with you that smaller focusing point could be helpful especially in the situation you mentioned.
Yes they are. So spot metering is very dramatic on the K3. Very easy to meter on a small white spot. I often spot meter on the brightest part, hit ae-l to fix the exposure, recompose and shoot. That may work for you.
02-28-2015, 07:51 PM - 1 Like   #345
Pentaxian

Original Poster
For the most part, I get the body in focus which is the reason why APS-C in this case works better with a more DOF than those guys using FF and longer lens.
If you had an FF camera, you would just stop down your lens accordingly to get the same DOF as you are getting with APS-C.

In other words, there is no "deeper DOF" advantage for APS-C (unless you go into f/22 territory).

Regarding metering, I'd really like a "highlight protection" mode that exposes in such a way that the brightest parts in the image do not get blown out. This would support the "ETTR" (expose to the right) approach that works well for me as I'm always post-processing anyhow.

It would be acceptable to me, if the camera adjusted the metering based on prior shots of the same scene, evaluating the actual sensor data, which is more accurate than just relying on the metering chip.

Last edited by Class A; 02-28-2015 at 08:02 PM.