Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 199 Likes Search this Thread
02-28-2015, 08:11 PM   #346
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
If you had an FF camera, you would just stop down your lens accordingly to get the same DOF as you are getting with APS-C.
Sure, Class A, but you now have to crank up the ISO or drag out the shutter speed.

02-28-2015, 09:11 PM   #347

If you had an FF camera, you would just stop down your lens accordingly to get the same DOF as you are getting with APS-C. In other words, there is no "deeper DOF" advantage for APS-C (unless you go into f/22 territory).
often for me having to stop down my lens is a disadvantage particularly in low light
02-28-2015, 09:17 PM - 1 Like   #348
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Sure, Class A, but you now have to crank up the ISO or drag out the shutter speed.
You can leave the shutter speed as it is and just increase the ISO setting by a factor of 2.25.

The inrease in the ISO setting comes at no cost regarding IQ compared to the APS-C image. The larger sensor compensates for that.
02-28-2015, 09:22 PM - 1 Like   #349
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by windhorse Quote
often for me having to stop down my lens is a disadvantage particularly in low light
You are not stopping down compared to the APS-C image. To let in the same amount of light you have to use a higher f-ratio on the FF camera when using a respectively longer lens.

You want the aperture diameter to be the same, not some number (f-ratio) that cannot be transferred 1:1 between formats, just like you cannot transfer focal lenghts in a 1:1 manner.

I don't want to derail the thread, though. If someone wants further discussion perhaps they should create a new thread and point to it from here.

02-28-2015, 11:53 PM - 1 Like   #350

I don't want to derail the thread, though. If someone wants further discussion perhaps they should create a new thread and point to it from here.
Good idea. I did here
03-01-2015, 05:47 AM   #351
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you had an FF camera, you would just stop down your lens accordingly to get the same DOF as you are getting with APS-C.

In other words, there is no "deeper DOF" advantage for APS-C (unless you go into f/22 territory)..
Huh? Of course there's deeper DOF advantages to smaller formats. I experience it everyday when using APS instead of the old 645 film format; many images couldn't be shot at all with the latter. If you do landscape photography with near/far relations you'll experience it frequently; many images cannot be shot the way I'd like to because I cannot get near enough and simultaneously getting enough DOF for my prefered angle of view.
DOF depend also on focus distance and subject magnification. That means that the APS photographer will get higher magnification than the FF shooter when comparing the same type of lenses giving the same angle of view on their respective format. The APS shooter will even get thinner DOF wide open due to this magnification even when comparing lenses with the same maximum aperture. That means that the, say, flower photographer who wants close-up with smeared out backgrounds is better served with APS than with FF. You can shoot images that cannot be shot with FF and cropping won't help.

---------- Post added 03-01-15 at 01:49 PM ----------

The inrease in the ISO setting comes at no cost regarding IQ compared to the APS-C image. The larger sensor compensates for that.
Then you are trading away the main reason for using a larger format in the first place.
All you need to know is that when using a larger format you'll tend to use longer shutterspeed than smaller one in order to get the best out of your format. Thats why those medium format guys "always" use a tripod. Hardly an advantage....

Last edited by Pål Jensen; 03-01-2015 at 05:55 AM.
03-01-2015, 08:57 AM   #352
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums

In other words, there is no "deeper DOF" advantage for APS-C (unless you go into f/22 territory).

Regarding metering, I'd really like a "highlight protection" mode that exposes in such a way that the brightest parts in the image do not get blown out. This would support the "ETTR" (expose to the right) approach that works well for me as I'm always post-processing anyhow.

It would be acceptable to me, if the camera adjusted the metering based on prior shots of the same scene, evaluating the actual sensor data, which is more accurate than just relying on the metering chip.
Thanks, Class A for correcting my typo. I was typing away speedily without even thinking, I meant the focal length perspective not DOF I get from a 58mm lens instead of longer lens where the perspective is compressed. The whole issue of equivalence and DOF between FF vs APSC has been discussed to death which I don't real subscribe to that much except that the fact is if I use a FF lens on APSC sensor, I get the same as FF lens on FF sensor, but mine is already cropped in the camera whereas with FF, they have to do it in post processing or they use longer focal length lens.

I agree with you that I chimp a lot with the initial shots (usually TAv mode) and then settle in M mode for the remainder of the shots.

---------- Post added 03-01-2015 at 11:01 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
Yes they are. So spot metering is very dramatic on the K3. Very easy to meter on a small white spot. I often spot meter on the brightest part, hit ae-l to fix the exposure, recompose and shoot. That may work for you.
I am with you on this... but my thumb is usually on the AF button on the back of the camera and in the heat of the moment, I could bother with the AE-L button; but you're right, I will do that in the first shots while I am chimping.

03-01-2015, 09:34 AM   #353
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
I am with you on this... but my thumb is usually on the AF button on the back of the camera and in the heat of the moment, I could bother with the AE-L button; but you're right, I will do that in the first shots while I am chimping.
Good technique = growing another thumb. Menu C1 3 let's you set how long the ae-l will stick. Up to 30 secs.
03-01-2015, 09:42 AM   #354
Veteran Member

Guys, I think we have digressed from the origin intent of this thread as the OP (Class A) started... all I want to have (may be) in the new FF model is the refined 'spot' metering mode as enhancement feature.

---------- Post added 03-01-2015 at 11:42 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
Good technique = growing another thumb. Menu C1 3 let's you set how long the ae-l will stick. Up to 30 secs.
Thanks again....

Last edited by aleonx3; 03-01-2015 at 09:59 AM.
03-23-2015, 12:30 PM   #355
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
There may be some major changes from the mock up: http://translate.google.com/translate?ie=UTF8&prev=_t&tl=en&u=http://digicam...v8ocm47TxqUkPw

QuoteQuote:
In Photo of the Day (photographer Tanaka Nozomi man's blog), expected on the full-size SLR Pentax has been posted.
- I predict the PENTAX full size SLR

CP + mock-up model, which has been exhibited in the show model there is that incorporates intentionally deception part. Should also be added from now minor modifications also a big change.
Maybe flash will not built-in.
The most of the target point back of the LCD monitor. Though looks like fixed at that mock, such separately not. Are fixed to movable.
CP + in super-resolution by pixel shifting had developed announced at the same time (sense of resolution enhancement techniques), it must have come equipped with the naturally new full-size SLR. If perchance, the model to be presented before that, it may come equipped earlier.
Image stabilization of the sensor-shift is of course equipped with (almost certainly). Low-pass selector, horizontal correction, composition tweak, Astro racers as usual, may become more parallel shake correction and rotation shake correction also possible.
And that the mock-up is intentionally cheated portion is included, I just whether interesting product version Pentax full-size machine is what design.

Also, "model to be released prior to full size" super-resolution by the pixel shift is estimated that there may be mounted, is where anxious.
Whatever google made of that, it is not very clear
03-23-2015, 12:41 PM   #356
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
There may be some major changes from the mock up: Google Translate

Whatever google made of that, it is not very clear
I took it as mere speculation... Though someone stronger in the ways of googlish (or Japanese, lol) might see it differently.
03-23-2015, 01:08 PM - 1 Like   #357
Pentaxian

I understand perfectly little, but also my googlish is strong (almost always) but not yet. this talk deliver more then certainly. Very good.
03-23-2015, 02:50 PM   #358
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
I understand perfectly little, but also my googlish is strong (almost always) but not yet. this talk deliver more then certainly. Very good.
Likewise I understand your deliberation of such matters. Nearly,
03-23-2015, 03:53 PM   #359
Veteran Member

Pentax full-frame [mockup/lump of plastic] is currently on display in Birmingham UK, according to PhotographyBlog

QuoteQuote:
Ricoh are exhibiting the Pentax full-frame DSLR mockup at the Photograph Show in Birmingham, UK. Scheduled for launch by the end of 2015, a very early prototype of the new full frame K-mount DSLR is being shown under glass. No additional details were forthcoming from the tight-lipped Ricoh staff...
Puzzlingly, the lens they have mounted on the mockup is the Pentax HD DA 20-40 mm f/2.8-4.0.
It looks good, but putting a non-FF lens on the mockup seems a strange idea.
03-23-2015, 03:56 PM - 2 Likes   #360
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
It's like a holy relic, isn't it, with lines of Pentaxians hoping a glimpse of it will cure their afflictions?