Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-04-2015, 02:18 PM   #691
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
Yes, thats my concern..The AF have to be much much better on the FF. But the lenses and sensor quality is no concern at all
Twenty years ago my primary camera was an aging Pentax Super Program, and I was ready to move to the auto-focus age. After looking at various cameras, I picked a Canon EOS because I was most comfortable with the AF they provided and with their user-interface. My camera was kitted with one of their USM lenses; I bought several other lenses, but I'd have to rummage through that camera bag to figure out exactly what focus motor was in each one. I had already decided to move back to Pentax because Canon didn't appear to be keeping up in several areas, when my second Canon Rebel (in eight years) died and forced the issue. Our bank account isn't quite what I would want it to be, so I needed a real deal, and I got that from KEH, which sold me a used-like new (shutter-count=2) K-30 kit for $290, including a Pentax-DA 18-55mm AL WR lens. I didn't realize at the time that it used the screw-drive AF system; I already had a Sigma 70-300mm lens that also uses the screw-drive AF. The K-30 arrived yesterday, and I have now taken a grand total of three pictures with it, but already I can say that I was right twenty years ago - normally I was barely aware that my Canon EOS system was focusing, but the K-30 screw-drive system is very noticeable by its noise. Don't get me wrong - I still think that this is a better camera than any Canon Rebel; I still don't have experience with any Pentax lens with a built-in focus motor, so I suppose I should buy one some day when me wallet has some money in it, but right now I would concur that AF is an area of improvement for Pentax.

Last edited by reh321; 06-04-2015 at 02:25 PM.
06-04-2015, 02:39 PM   #692
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reytor Quote
Jared Polin likes the Canon 5Dsr results so far, so maybe 36MP is too low pixel count...
But I doubt Pentax will go for close to 50 MP sensor, though the 645Z is totally different animal.
Maybe it will have a 42MP sensor...
Jared Polin is only good for over the top comedic relief....
06-04-2015, 02:51 PM   #693
IOO
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
Time will show, I guess we'll get som leaks in august or september. Untill then we can only guess, as long as those who knows a little bit more can keep their mouth shot. Anyhow we will be positivly suprised, I'm sure! And there will be more lenses to come to look forward to. A nice year for Pentax. And a reborn legend, K2.
06-04-2015, 03:01 PM   #694
Pentaxian

I hate to say it, but if its 36mp+ I probably won't buy it because it's just. too. much.

my hard drive and memory cards fill fast enough with my D800. The files are massive and contain beautiful beautiful data. but there is no need for this kind of resolution.

24mp is preferred. but 36 is max.

its not about cost either or computing power. it's about whats reasonable for my workflow.

06-04-2015, 04:12 PM   #695

I know! But he is Nikonist and if he goes further and declare that Canon beats Nikon (D810=Sony sensor) then things just might get interesting...
06-04-2015, 04:50 PM   #696
Site Supporter

I hate to say it, but if its 36mp+ I probably won't buy it because it's just. too. much.

my hard drive and memory cards fill fast enough with my D800. The files are massive and contain beautiful beautiful data. but there is no need for this kind of resolution.

24mp is preferred. but 36 is max.

its not about cost either or computing power. it's about whats reasonable for my workflow.
I hope its 40MP then crop will be something like 18MP? so can use for birding & landscape--all in one camera,as long as FPS is 7 or so..HD are so cheap now so storage is no problem,& workflow will be faster than my Sigma DP3 at least
06-04-2015, 06:38 PM   #697
Den
Veteran Member

I like making very large prints, 16x20 min, so 36-50 MP (closer to 50) is ok with me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
06-04-2015, 07:07 PM - 1 Like   #698
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Capability for more should not create a data problem if resolution can be adjusted in camera - i.e. downsizing from 40Mp to 24Mp to 16Mp etc.
What would be even more nifty would be downsizeable RAW images.

06-04-2015, 10:48 PM   #699
Pentaxian

I'm not into full frame but, does anybody know when is the exact time that this will come? I hope it's going to be better than the others. I'd like to say to the others we have a better system.
06-05-2015, 12:21 AM   #700

I have been considering a move to a 645 format because of the amount of data collected. Now that the Canon EOS 5Ds has a 50Mp sensor and at, probably, one third or less of the Pentax 64Dz it will make my decision a lot easier. If Pentax is not going to make a big sensor FF camera, I might as well stick with Nikon and jump to their 50Mp when it comes out. I will save a lot of money by not having to replace all of my real nice Nikkor glass.

I don't understand anyone wanting less data, especially with inexpensive storage together with muy fast processors and gigantic RAM , I will give that a smaller sensor but with larger pixels has a deeper well and will collect more data per pixel per exposure, but the larger 50Mp sensor provides a wider slice of data meaning more view to manipulate.
06-05-2015, 12:38 AM - 1 Like   #701
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Shanti Quote
I hope its 40MP then crop will be something like 18MP? so can use for birding & landscape--all in one camera,as long as FPS is 7 or so..HD are so cheap now so storage is no problem,& workflow will be faster than my Sigma DP3 at least
You should stick with aps-c since you crop the rest a way anyway.
06-05-2015, 01:36 AM   #702
Pentaxian

Maybe it will use this sensor: New Sony “foveon” alike sensor patent. | sonyalpharumors

The sensor could have "only" 30mp, but the images will result in much higher mp images.
06-05-2015, 03:10 AM   #703
Pentaxian

But no dxo-mark rankings... I think it will be a step to far. Anyway I don't see anything about it being full frame.
06-05-2015, 03:45 AM   #704
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Anyway I don't see anything about it being full frame.
Of course not... That's comming somewhere around Oktober. LOL!
06-05-2015, 05:26 AM   #705
Pentaxian

A Sony rumour that might be of interest to us Pentaxians since it states that the successor to Alpha 99 will be announced in September and include a new sensor:

(SR3) Finally some A99 successor rumor. Coming mid September and has 4K recording. | sonyalpharumors

"– The A99II is now scheduled to be announced in mid-September
– It has internal 4K recording and new sensor
"