Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-05-2015, 06:12 AM   #706
Site Supporter
Zygonyx's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Ile de France
Posts: 2,951
Interesting enough : sensors are very likely to be different according to their use, btw mirrorless and SLR/T

06-05-2015, 06:13 AM   #707
Pentaxian
Class A's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Posts: 8,937
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
"– The A99II is now scheduled to be announced in mid-September
– It has internal 4K recording and new sensor
"
If Pentax could offer an FF model with internal 4K recording and bring back sensor-based image stabilisation for video, they could make some waves.

I don't see it, but one can fantasise.
06-05-2015, 06:14 AM   #708
Pentaxian
D1N0's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: ---
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,614
That would be a new sensor. The read out of the old 24 en 36mm is not fast enough for 4k. Maybe it will have phase detection points for video? They wouldn't only make it for the A99 II. I don't think that sells very well.
06-05-2015, 06:45 AM   #709
Pentaxian
Wired's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Edmonton, AB
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,494
QuoteOriginally posted by Shanti Quote
I hope its 40MP then crop will be something like 18MP? so can use for birding & landscape--all in one camera,as long as FPS is 7 or so..HD are so cheap now so storage is no problem,& workflow will be faster than my Sigma DP3 at least
its not the cost for me. its the amount of hard drives I'll have kicking around. at Canadian Fashion Week I shot 6 out of 9 days. I averaged 500 frames per day. this came out to around 40gb of data every day. Most of it was because I kept second guessing myself on timing, but thats a lot of images. I'm shooting 3-4 times per week, lifestyle/editorial shoots averaging 50 frames a shoot. Weddings I average 200-400 depending on requirements. I do a weeding once a month tho.

This means a LOT of backups and hard drives. it adds up faster than you think. I buy a 1TB external about one every 4 months, I have a dresser half-drawer thats gonna fill up probably within 2 years. It's one thing for a hobbyist or semi-professional who takes the odd job compared to a part time-professional or a full fledged pro.

That being said... if they worked Canon's resolution adjustment feature into the camera...now that would be interesting! I could shoot at full resolution (call it 42?) for landscape work or billboard work, drop it to 36 for editorial/lifestyle, then drop it to 24 for wedding, finally drop it to 16 for that extra low light advantage when shooting bands or sports. Oh man I'd be happy happy!

06-05-2015, 08:31 AM   #710
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 5,414
QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
This means a LOT of backups and hard drives. it adds up faster than you think. I buy a 1TB external about one every 4 months, I have a dresser half-drawer thats gonna fill up probably within 2 years. It's one thing for a hobbyist or semi-professional who takes the odd job compared to a part time-professional or a full fledged pro.
You have to be very judicious in selecting which files to save. How many of the files you have saved will you ever actually print? That is how many you should be saving.

In the last 25 years I have only had one occasion where I had saved old files and I had to go back and reprint. It was a very unique set of circumstances. I had some images from a wedding that I really liked, but because of technology (Canon 5D) they just were to noisy for a decent print. The couple had a house fire and I went back and reprinted their album. Because of improvements in RAW processors and my skill with RAW processing I was able to use about a dozen prints in the album that I had left out previously.

Why are you saving images that aren't good enough to print? What's the point?
06-05-2015, 08:32 AM   #711
Pentaxian
Wired's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Edmonton, AB
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,494
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
You have to be very judicious in selecting which files to save. How many of the files you have saved will you ever actually print? That is how many you should be saving.

In the last 25 years I have only had one occasion where I had saved old files and I had to go back and reprint. It was a very unique set of circumstances. I had some images from a wedding that I really liked, but because of technology (Canon 5D) they just were to noisy for a decent print. The couple had a house fire and I went back and reprinted their album. Because of improvements in RAW processors and my skill with RAW processing I was able to use about a dozen prints in the album that I had left out previously.

Why are you saving images that aren't good enough to print? What's the point?
Very valid question. And I have a very valid answer.

I'm effin lazy. which means I have no room to complain about my HD's filling up.


06-05-2015, 10:23 AM   #712
Forum Member




Join Date: May 2009
Location: Sweden
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 55
QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
its not the cost for me. its the amount of hard drives I'll have kicking around. at Canadian Fashion Week I shot 6 out of 9 days. I averaged 500 frames per day. this came out to around 40gb of data every day. Most of it was because I kept second guessing myself on timing, but thats a lot of images. I'm shooting 3-4 times per week, lifestyle/editorial shoots averaging 50 frames a shoot. Weddings I average 200-400 depending on requirements. I do a weeding once a month tho.

This means a LOT of backups and hard drives. it adds up faster than you think. I buy a 1TB external about one every 4 months, I have a dresser half-drawer thats gonna fill up probably within 2 years. It's one thing for a hobbyist or semi-professional who takes the odd job compared to a part time-professional or a full fledged pro.

That being said... if they worked Canon's resolution adjustment feature into the camera...now that would be interesting! I could shoot at full resolution (call it 42?) for landscape work or billboard work, drop it to 36 for editorial/lifestyle, then drop it to 24 for wedding, finally drop it to 16 for that extra low light advantage when shooting bands or sports. Oh man I'd be happy happy!
Just a tip: With that much data you must find a better back-up workflow; buying (relatively small) 1 tb-disks each couple of months is neither safe (some will fail eventually, but also what if there's a fire?), practical or economical (considering time spent managing them as well, connecting, moving etc). Have a look at google's online storage, or amazons glacier storage for perhaps cheaper per gb if rarely accessing it. It would be safer, easier and less hassle than buying disks and keeping track of them. Just my 2c..
06-06-2015, 12:29 AM   #713
Senior Member
gorme's Avatar

Join Date: May 2014
Location: Galway - Ireland
Posts: 212
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
If Pentax could offer an FF model with internal 4K recording and bring back sensor-based image stabilisation for video, they could make some waves.

I don't see it, but one can fantasise.
RAW video would be an amazing option too ! Lots of people use DSLR only to shoot movies and a 4.2.2 output is one of the best possible features for video !

06-09-2015, 08:21 AM   #714
Pentaxian
D1N0's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: ---
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,614
or maybe it has a curved sensor...... not likely when using sr

(SR2) Strangest A7rII rumor so far: Two “testers” said it has curved Full Frame sensor. | sonyalpharumors
06-09-2015, 10:08 AM   #715
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2011
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,615
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
or maybe it has a curved sensor.
Suddenly making those flat-field macro lenses obsolete?
06-09-2015, 10:35 AM   #716
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Romania
Posts: 8,423
SR2 means "they were drunk" or "it says April Fools, but I'll write about it anyway"
Curved sensor which will have to work with lenses made for a flat focal plane?
06-10-2015, 10:44 AM - 1 Like   #717
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 5,414
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
So its not the same pixel density as the 20MP in the KS-2. Sony was rumored to have an 18MP APS-C sensor in the works and that would scale to 42MP+/- on a FF.

Pretty sure the sensor and image quality will to top of the line. Its the AF that is going to make or break the camera for professionals.
Sony a7R II Alpha Mirrorless Digital Camera (a7RII Camera Body) B&H

Sony showing a new 42MP BSI FF sensor in the A7rII.
06-10-2015, 10:53 AM   #718
Pentaxian
D1N0's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: ---
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,614
didn't see that one coming... BSI 42mp 18mp in crop.
06-10-2015, 10:59 AM   #719
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jul 2011
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 675
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Sony a7R II Alpha Mirrorless Digital Camera (a7RII Camera Body) B&H

Sony showing a new 42MP BSI FF sensor in the A7rII.

Hmmm... and I also quote "The a7R II also gains 5-axis image stabilization that is rated at 4.5 stops, according to CIPA standard"...


So, could this be the new Sony sensor Kenspo said would have to be released well before the FF announcement in the fall?


Curious and curiouser. This rabbit hole is awful dark... can't see a thing! Heh.


Eric
06-10-2015, 11:06 AM   #720
Pentaxian
redcat's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Paris
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,804
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Sony showing a new 42MP BSI FF sensor in the A7rII.
maybe that sensor is what the new FF Pentax will use
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
aps, aps-c, camera, card, conversation, cp, dof, ff, flash, focus, format, full frame, images, k-3, lens, lenses, magnification, mp, off-topic, pentax, pentax news, pentax rumors, plastic, pop-up, popup, ricoh, sd, unveiling
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First image of the Full Frame Curved sensor!…made for the RX2? interested_observer Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 12 09-15-2014 10:04 PM
Economics of full frame mikemike Pentax Film SLR Discussion 47 06-24-2014 03:47 PM
From Full-Frame Sony... to Pentax... to Full-Frame Canon Mr_Canuck Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 42 01-21-2014 12:50 AM
Full frame or no full frame.... Deedee Pentax K-3 14 10-08-2013 05:39 AM
Is full frame the medium format of the digital era ? ghelary Photographic Technique 2 05-28-2009 08:50 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:29 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top