Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 199 Likes Search this Thread
06-10-2015, 06:30 PM   #751
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by starjedi Quote
Frankly speaking, I hope Pentax will take 36MP sensor and price it at $2000. It will be much better than taking the latest sensor but price it at $3500.[COLOR="Silver"]

Better in what way?

06-10-2015, 06:42 PM   #752
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nakedgun Quote
Better in what way?
Obtainability for more customers.
06-10-2015, 06:59 PM   #753
Veteran Member

What can be the more expensive part on the FF camera? Prism, Sensor, SR mechanism? Development, logistic distribution? or sale expectative too low or too high to set the price where everybody win
06-10-2015, 07:05 PM   #754
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Doubt they'll make it a 42MP, since it'll be competing against & take sales from the 645Z.
I think it'll be more likely 24 or 28 MP, with at least 8FPS minimum, dual SD cards.

06-10-2015, 07:12 PM   #755
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by disconnekt Quote
Doubt they'll make it a 42MP, since it'll be competing against & take sales from the 645Z.
I think it'll be more likely 24 or 28 MP, with at least 8FPS minimum, dual SD cards.
OTOH, Ricoh needs to compete with D810, D750 etc. as some have already suggested, it is likely this sensor that they have been waiting for... Sony needs to release their new model first before Ricoh can have it (some months later)....
06-10-2015, 07:15 PM   #756
Pentaxian

The thing I'm not certain of is where a FF sensor becomes so crowded that it starts losing some dynamic range and color depth advantages; I hope Pentax stays on the right side of that line.
06-10-2015, 07:17 PM   #757
mee
Veteran Member

That is the other part to this... make it too high resolution and you sip sales from the 645 line..

I'm thinking it would be smarter to make it much less MP and more DR oriented.

06-10-2015, 07:23 PM   #758
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Wow, just recently a 1" BSI sensor was big news and now Sony presents an FF version!

Sony surely went all out with their NY press conference announcements.

Did they perhaps collaborate with Ricoh on the image stabilisation and shutter (regarding vibration & noise)? Seems like they have addressed almost all their previous shortcomings.

If Sony now also offers true RAW data instead of their lossy compressed data then only the EVF (and perhaps the form factor) would speak against the A7R II.

As much as the 42MP sensor would rock in the Pentax FF, I fear it would make the camera too expensive, unless they can save considerable cost by forgoing internal 4K recording.
06-10-2015, 07:28 PM   #759
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
OTOH, Ricoh needs to compete with D810, D750 etc. as some have already suggested, it is likely this sensor that they have been waiting for... Sony needs to release their new model first before Ricoh can have it (some months later)....
and Dec is a few months after...Kenspo said it will be a notch above anything out there now..so that means to me above D810.exciting times
06-10-2015, 07:28 PM   #760
Veteran Member

Sony being a huge sensor shop, they may also have developed another new BSI FF sensor other than the 42MP one.

There could be new Sony 24MP or 28MP or 36MP BSI FF chips out there too. Ricoh and Nikon may have access to them for new cameras, while Sony keeps the 42MP chip for themselves. Who knows.
06-10-2015, 07:47 PM   #761
Veteran Member

Ricoh is going after the PRo and want to be seen as Pro FF. Forget the low cost FF. THey want to protect their 645 business or people who have 645 add the Pentax FF to their stable . That the people who have money and they can make more money per unit than selling cheap FF.
06-10-2015, 08:11 PM   #762
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
don't think so... should be consider lucky if Pentax FF get the 36MP A7R is using.
QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
You didn't listen to kenspo either...
So long as Ricoh is willing to pay for it Sony will sell it to them. We're just accustomed to Ricoh (by previous owners) not being willing to pay up for the newest sensors.
06-10-2015, 08:11 PM - 1 Like   #763
npc
Veteran Member

If you don't cannibialize yourself - others will do it. The sensor is out there - it is better for Ricoh that people buy a Ricoh camera that has it (and lenses) instead of 645Z rather than a Sony camera and most probably later a Nikon as well.
06-10-2015, 08:31 PM   #764
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I think Ricoh has to make a $2000 camera and a $3500 camera to stand a chance. Without both, they won't get the volume on the lenses they need to make a viable system.

If they can't release them at the same time, it makes much more sense to release the high end one first. Pentax is never going to be the cheapest FF option while there are second hand cameras on the market from their competitors anyway. Also, look at what happened to Sony when they tried the cheap conventional FF strategy with the AX00 cameras.

Ricoh needs to make a splash with the best image quality and new features if they are too stand a chance of getting people to switch from Canon and Nikon. I don't see how a D750 clone alone will help them do that.

This might not make people who are expecting for a cheap FF in November happy, but I think it makes sense if Ricoh wants to make a success of K-mount FF.
06-10-2015, 08:40 PM   #765
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
I think Ricoh has to make a $2000 camera and a $3500 camera to stand a chance. Without both, they won't get the volume on the lenses they need to make a viable system.

If they can't release them at the same time, it makes much more sense to release the high end one first. Pentax is never going to be the cheapest FF option while there are second hand cameras on the market from their competitors anyway. Also, look at what happened to Sony when they tried the cheap conventional FF strategy with the AX00 cameras.

Ricoh needs to make a splash with the best image quality and new features if they are too stand a chance of getting people to switch from Canon and Nikon. I don't see how a D750 clone alone will help them do that.

This might not make people who are expecting for a cheap FF in November happy, but I think it makes sense if Ricoh wants to make a success of K-mount FF.
That's an interesting thought. The primary issue I see with this, however, is if Ricoh does as you say and releases the top end FF body first, if they then dont release the lower cost body soon after, they jeopardize sales of the lower cost body due to second hand sales of the top end body. I mean, once the top end FF body is out there for sometime, prices inherently lower. Second hand prices are usually at least 25% under that price. The Lower cost body then comes out and why buy it when one can get a better specced camera for the same or slightly more (even if having to buy second hand) ??