Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-11-2015, 03:34 AM   #781
Pentaxian

The medium format market was supposed to be destroyed by the 36MP sensors. It didn't happen.

06-11-2015, 03:40 AM   #782
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Its very possible that we see 2 FF bodies. One with the 24MP and one with the new 42MP. The 24MP would allow Ricoh to hit the sub $2,000 price point. The 42MP would give them a higher end option to compete with Canon's 50MP and the A99II.
I've got that info 2 months ago.
There will be two bodies.
Second body will be probably introduced shortly (few months) after flagship model together with a new standard zoom lens (28-105mm f/4 of f/3.5-4.5) included.
Don't know anything about the sensors.

p.s. Source reliability is unknown. I had only one verified "prediction" until now. It was about Pentax full frame camera, in january a few days before Kenspo start talking here on pentaxforum. The second was in april (two full frame bodies). 50-50 situation.
06-11-2015, 03:42 AM   #783
Pentaxian

Probably someone misread a list containing both a body-only and a kit version of the same camera
06-11-2015, 03:50 AM   #784
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
That said, I don't see why that should push the price in the 3500 dollar range. That seems silly to me. Sony isn't going to sell their camera containing this sensor anywhere near that price.
According to Photo Rumors, the Sony is priced at $3,198.

06-11-2015, 04:22 AM   #785
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote

They aren't going to release two cameras and they aren't going to release a cheap version of the full frame camera, at least not initially.
I agree with what you are thinking... the initial release of FF needs to make a splash; and then shortly after (may be a few months later) followed by a slightly cheaper version.
06-11-2015, 04:37 AM   #786

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
I agree with what you are thinking... the initial release of FF needs to make a splash; and then shortly after (may be a few months later) followed by a slightly cheaper version.
Yeah ! That's true, even Kenspo said that they "wanted to be ahead there".. So I think that for now the aim is just to produce the best possible full frame at a competitive price with D810 and 5Ds and after maybe a second FF will be released..
06-11-2015, 04:42 AM   #787
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Actually it's not. They will start with one body, and Asahiman said ages ago it will have more than 24MP.
Hitting a sub $2000 price point is not important IMO. Competing in price - which is done by cost cutting - means competing with older, discounted models.
True. Pentax have a pent-up demand for an FF body. Most of those will buy it even if it is expensive. No point in not exploiting this advantage. A budget FF body will in no way be a game changer and attract users of other brands anyway.
A 24mp FF body is in my opinion pointless; I for sure wouldn't buy it - I already got a 24mp Pentax DSLR.
06-11-2015, 04:49 AM   #788
mee
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
According to Photo Rumors, the Sony is priced at $3,198.
It is not a rumor. Sony a7R II Alpha Mirrorless Digital Camera (a7RII Camera Body) B&H

06-11-2015, 05:08 AM   #789
bxf
Site Supporter

Once in awhile I get a thought in my head that it would be great if it were possible to replace the sensor in my ageing Leica Digilux 2 with a more modern one. Now, with all the inevitable speculation encountered in this thread, and with the suggestion of two Pentax FF bodies, it had occurred to me to consider the concept of interchangeable sensors. Not especially to enable the user to select a particular sensor for a specific purpose (though that may be useful too), but rather to make it possible to market one body at different price levels, depending on the chosen sensor. Also, this could make it possible to upgrade without having to replace the entire body, though this may not be a great option from the manufacturer's perspective.

I'd consider that sort of achievement to be ground-breaking. I suppose there is the implied assumption that all other variables would be controlled via firmware.

One can wish...

Just did a quick search and found this: Nikon Files Patent for an Interchangeable Sensor Camera
06-11-2015, 05:32 AM   #790
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
From the B&H listing of the A7RII:
The AF system received its own massive upgrade with the use of 399 phase-detect points and 25 contrast-detect points for a speedy Fast Hybrid AF system which will offer extremely accurate tracking.

That's a pretty awesome AF system for a full-frame. Plus the exposure metering range is 'Metering Range: EV -3.0 - EV 20.0', so the AF may also work down to -3 EV. Nice. Still only 5fps though, so sports shooters won't be getting too excited.

The Pentax FF, 42MP or not, will certainly have to offer more AF capability than the K-3 when you start to see FF's appearing with specs like that.

The Sony 42MP FF BSI sensor seems impressive. I wonder if we will see it in Nikon before Pentax? Maybe this time it will be Sony - Pentax - Nikon.
That sensor would be great for a full frame mirror less k-mount. Lets call that K-11 just for the fun.
06-11-2015, 05:44 AM   #791
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by disconnekt Quote
Doubt they'll make it a 42MP, since it'll be competing against & take sales from the 645Z.
I think it'll be more likely 24 or 28 MP, with at least 8FPS minimum, dual SD cards.
What sales from the 645z? The medium format market is tiny, and the numbers are miniscule. So is Pentax's market share generally. They have no position to protect, aside from the guaranteed failure of those strategies in technology markets.
06-11-2015, 05:59 AM   #792
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Pentax have a pent-up demand for an FF body. Most of those will buy it even if it is expensive. No point in not exploiting this advantage.
Personally, I want the FF model, but I won't pay any price.

I also believe, that I'm not alone with this attitude.

Just selling the Pentax FF to core Pentaxians that will pay any price for it, won't be commercially viable. Too few of them are left. The pricing has to be attractive to shooters from other brands or those that are looking for a brand as well.

A 24mp FF body is in my opinion pointless; I for sure wouldn't buy it - I already got a 24mp Pentax DSLR.
If you think a 24MP FF body is pointless then you don't know what the true value of an FF sensor is. It surely isn't increasing the MP count.
06-11-2015, 06:05 AM   #793
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Just selling the Pentax FF to core Pentaxians that will pay any price for it, won't be commercially viable
agree ^^ there are too many FF out there, I think Pentax will make the best FF they could with an affordable price. Around 2000$ is "affordable" for a great FF camera.
Just for info, D750 is easily found at 1500$ used !
06-11-2015, 06:10 AM - 1 Like   #794
Loyal Site Supporter

Then the 16MP D4 and Df must be really pointless. The 18MP 1Dx must be pointless. The 21MP 5DIII must be a failure.
06-11-2015, 06:19 AM - 2 Likes   #795
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My prediction is based on Kenspo's silence. This one hit close to home, and is looking more and more like it, or maybe another soon to be announced variation in it's family for an OVF Sony model, I think the 42mp sensor will be "the one".

Anyone else notice Kenspo hasn't said a word since the Sony announcement? I think he just painted himself into a corner by saying the new Sony FF sensor would have first dib's to be on the market ~6 months in it's own product line before the 3rd party release. What can he say without getting in trouble now?

Silence can be another form of affirmation.

I'd love to double dog dare Kenspo to post a reply to this, but I wont. I like him, and just assume he lay low and keep his job!

Eric