Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-18-2015, 06:44 AM   #871
Loyal Site Supporter

We could still see a version of this 42MP BSI sensor produced for DSLRs which don't need 4K. No PDAF, no DRAM.

Once Sony produces enough sensors to meet it own needs, they will be looking to sell this sensor to other companies. The only reason for Sony to keep this sensor off the market is that they can't produce enough to meet their own demand. Sony isn't the only company with BSI sensor technology. I don't think Sony wants to open the door for their competition.

06-18-2015, 08:18 AM   #872
Pentaxian

I still hope the FF will be able to do 4K. I'm ok with a 3200€ starting price.
06-18-2015, 10:31 AM - 1 Like   #873
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Sony amazingly expensive? What, did I fall through a wormhole into an alternate dimension? They're the ones with the sub 1000$ FF ilc remember?
I love when people quote pricing for discontinued end of life cycle product pricing.

especially when they start comparing it to new technology just over the horizon.
06-18-2015, 10:47 AM   #874
Pentaxian

What, sub 1000$ FF ILC? That's so expensive!
Kodak DCS Pro 14N 13 9 MP Full Frame Digital SLR Camera | eBay

06-18-2015, 11:03 AM   #875
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote

Interestingly on that oldie, a little digging reveals that one is not a Sony "The fourteen megapixel full frame CMOS sensor is made by the Belgium company FillFactory and is actually produced by Tower Semiconductor in Israel."

Eric
06-18-2015, 12:22 PM   #876
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
I love when people quote pricing for discontinued end of life cycle product pricing.

especially when they start comparing it to new technology just over the horizon.
Yet that discontinued end of life cycle product that you are referring to is high-tech compared to any current Pentax product. Lol
06-18-2015, 12:32 PM   #877
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Yet that discontinued end of life cycle product that you are referring to is high-tech compared to any current Pentax product. Lol
but fills little to no needs for this Pentaxian

lets run it though...using two discontinued products

A7 vs K3

K3 - sensor stabilization (win)
K3 - faster autofocus (win)
K3 - larger rear screen (win)
K3 - 2 SD card slots (win)
K3 - faster boot up time (win)
K3 - double the battery life (win)
K3 - higher ISO range (win)
K3 - still cheaper (win)
A7 - 35mm sensor (subjective win)
A7 - tilty screen (win)
A7 - higher resolution screen (win)
A7 - smaller/lighter (win)
A7 - built in wifi (win)
A7 - NFC (win)
A7 - able to mount almost any lens (win)
A7 - EVF (win?)

It's got some tech advantages, and the MKII updates it to beat or match the K3 in many situations. However at the end of the day, in terms of first party support there are still hardly any lenses in production for the a7 that are compatible with it, and many of them are pretty expensive. It's a different tool than the K3. Just like the new FF body will be a different tool than the K3. It just depends on what tool you want in your bag.

For me personally, I have not yet met a mirrorless I liked outside of one. I've had A7, XT1, EM5, EM1, and GH4. All of which I've owned for minimum a month before letting them go. The EM5 lasted the longest (almost a year), and the XT1 next in line at 4 months. The XT1 was my favorite camera, and if I didn't have to invest in another mount and give up on my Pentax kit which is fully fleshed out I would have converted. Still haven't enjoyed the use of EVF though, I get nauseau when I use them.
06-18-2015, 01:46 PM   #878
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Because the Kodak DCS 13.9 MP camera includes batteries, you can always be ready to capture your life's great moments!!
WOW that seals the deal for me

06-18-2015, 01:49 PM   #879
Pentaxian

It's based on a film camera. The Nikon F80.
06-20-2015, 01:04 PM   #880
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
It's based on a film camera. The Nikon F80.
Indeed.

06-24-2015, 05:28 AM   #881
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fuent104 Quote
Hasn't Kenspo stated that he's a "brand ambassador?" Unless you have the same designation as Kenspo, I'm not sure you how could know what information is or is not shared with him.
I had my fair share of experience with Pentax Europe management.
06-24-2015, 05:52 AM   #882
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
but fills little to no needs for this Pentaxian

Still haven't enjoyed the use of EVF though, I get nauseau when I use them.
the A7range's viewfinder is absolutely the worst abomination... Talk about dumbing down, a point and shoot with no optical quality checkpoint. Just ghastly. The camera is a nice idea, but it has all of the artistic feel of a reciprocating saw....
06-24-2015, 07:03 AM   #883
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GlassJunkie Quote
the A7range's viewfinder is absolutely the worst abomination... Talk about dumbing down, a point and shoot with no optical quality checkpoint. Just ghastly. The camera is a nice idea, but it has all of the artistic feel of a reciprocating saw....
Overstated..It's an award winning camera that can basically do anything you want or need a camera to do.
06-24-2015, 07:23 AM   #884
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sliver-Surfer Quote
Overstated..It's an award winning camera that can basically do anything you want or need a camera to do.

I played with the full A7 lineup in a BB on a floor day when they had sony reps on site a couple months ago. I thought the viewfinder was really nice for stills, and there might be some advantages there for older people with vision problems, because it's a little artificially bright and contrasty to my eye.

BUT... for tracking stills of BIF, Sports or shooting even leisurely paced video, I think the minor stuttering, even as good as the A7 is, would not be ideal.

It would work, just wouldn't be the best choice for me for those types of shooting.

Eric
06-24-2015, 07:54 AM   #885
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Erictator Quote
I played with the full A7 lineup in a BB on a floor day when they had sony reps on site a couple months ago. I thought the viewfinder was really nice for stills, and there might be some advantages there for older people with vision problems, because it's a little artificially bright and contrasty to my eye.

BUT... for tracking stills of BIF, Sports or shooting even leisurely paced video, I think the minor stuttering, even as good as the A7 is, would not be ideal.

It would work, just wouldn't be the best choice for me for those types of shooting.

Eric
It does work well for that type of shooting. Better than my k5 in fact in my opinion.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
ILCE-7  Photo 

Last edited by Sliver-Surfer; 06-24-2015 at 08:02 AM.