Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-12-2015, 11:41 AM   #91
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
OoOoOoOoOoOo I sure hope the FF comes in hot pink like the K-S2!

Just kidding, but I kinda like the orange on the K-S2. For the market the camera is trying to reach I think it adds a bit of fun sporty feel to a entry level slr.

02-12-2015, 11:41 AM   #92
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
DPReview gonna be airbrushing it's history soon (no K-3 review because press wan't lined up at the Ricoh booth clamoring to see it).
That's too harsh. They will surely have their interview with a Ricoh official: "Exclusive from CP+ - our interview with Mr. X from Ricoh Imaging. Unlike the K-S1, he had no blinking LEDs!"
Then, 5 short question would follow, all about why Mr. X had no blinking LEDs.
02-12-2015, 11:43 AM   #93
Veteran Member

Yep... that FF thing is going to be huge...

K-3 and olympus...
Compare camera dimensions side by side
02-12-2015, 11:45 AM - 2 Likes   #94
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Now, I know this is just a 3d-printed lump of plastic, but the details on it tell me it came from a very detailed design file, which indicates serious time spent on the body design. Considering all the engineering that goes into a camera, I'm not freaked out they haven't got a prototype ready for public display- their working models/engineering samples are most likely completely inappropriate for public display (as I would imagine all companies' are- engineering models are probably the true frankensteins of the camera world). So, what this mockup shows us is serious consideration, along with a willingness to say 'yes, we're doing it' as loud and clear as possible.

Even still, this by itself would be slightly questionable, but there are related developments that make this all the more promising. First, the new lenses. You don't release $2,500 lenses of that size, explicitly stating they cover full 35mm, without having plans for a full 35mm body. Secondly, the K-S2 feels too much like a test-bed camera for new technology: Wifi, NFC, and WR articulated screen. Pentax has shown with the 645d/k5 and 645z/k3 that they will use tech from one camera on another to share costs, so by developing these more minor technologies (compared to the engineering hurdles of full 35mm) in prior cameras they can focus the development efforts of the new camera on the stuff that really matters.

All this tells me that Ricoh does indeed have a deliberate plan and have been making large investments into their imaging division. They're swinging for the fence.

All that being said, please let there be improved AF

02-12-2015, 12:19 PM   #95
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clawhammer Quote
Now, I know this is just a 3d-printed lump of plastic, but the details on it tell me it came from a very detailed design file,
I am wondering if the reason for the 3D print is not becuse a proper prototype is not ready, but because they are not ready to show their hand to that extent. This deviates from recent practice, so there is clearly a reason for the change.
02-12-2015, 12:23 PM   #96
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tesla Quote
I think it is almost the same size as the K-3, just a little taller.

no.... the 31mm looks small on the prototype, compare to a K3.

but I like it, it's like a Pentax 67!
02-12-2015, 12:25 PM - 1 Like   #97
Pentaxian

The usual suspects passing the Ricoh booth.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 

Last edited by lukulele; 02-12-2015 at 12:26 PM. Reason: Grammar
02-12-2015, 12:26 PM   #98
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rangercarp Quote
I am wondering if the reason for the 3D print is not becuse a proper prototype is not ready, but because they are not ready to show their hand to that extent. This deviates from recent practice, so there is clearly a reason for the change.
probably, they 'needed' to show it so that: all the poor Pentaxians need time to save up money to buy it, so they figure announcing it a year in advance will give people enough time....

seriously though, I think they want to keep Pentaxians on board.... as Sony will unveil their 2nd generations A7 series and new pro line A9 series soon.
02-12-2015, 12:55 PM - 2 Likes   #99
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There's nothing magic about a 3-D printed model instead of a hand-formed plastic mock-up. 3-D printing is the modern way to create physical mock-ups.

Especially for a maker of printers.
02-12-2015, 02:01 PM - 1 Like   #100

I think they start with a 3d printed mock up to not reveal everything at once. More details will be published gradually. This will create regulary headlines on various news sites. Using this technique keeps the world talking about the Pentax FF until it is released...
02-12-2015, 02:05 PM - 1 Like   #101

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kdre Quote
I think they start with a 3d printed mock up to not reveal everything at once. More details will be published gradually. This will create regulary headlines on various news sites. Using this technique keeps the world talking about the Pentax FF until it is released...
Makes perfectly good sense to me being I'm checking for updates on a regular basis now and they're not coming fast enough.
02-12-2015, 02:57 PM - 1 Like   #102
Forum Member

well I guess Pentax is under a bit of pressure to show *something*. It feels a little premature to be unveiling a 3D plastic mock up of a prototype at a camera show... Other camera makers sometimes unveil a non-working prototype, but I dunno I really don't see many ppl unveiling a lump of a plastic to any amount of fanfare lol.

It's just so premature, no specs, no nothing. I'm hoping there will be more information soon. However from just the *LOOKS* of it - since Pentax is all but ASKING us to speculate, it looks like a pretty bulky camera, which already isn't something that at least I would be looking for in a Pentax...
02-12-2015, 03:18 PM   #103
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Yassarian Quote
well I guess Pentax is under a bit of pressure to show *something*. It feels a little premature to be unveiling a 3D plastic mock up of a prototype at a camera show... Other camera makers sometimes unveil a non-working prototype, but I dunno I really don't see many ppl unveiling a lump of a plastic to any amount of fanfare lol.

It's just so premature, no specs, no nothing. I'm hoping there will be more information soon. However from just the *LOOKS* of it - since Pentax is all but ASKING us to speculate, it looks like a pretty bulky camera, which already isn't something that at least I would be looking for in a Pentax...
If it is not a working camera does it matter if it is a 3D model, clay or metal? They announced that they are going to be releasing it this year. I do not think it is up for pre-orders or anything yet. It makes sense to release a prototype or model at this trade show if the camera is going to be released this year, combined with the new lenses and cameras Pentax should make maximum use of the exposure to promote the new FF. Later this summer they may release the specs and or images of the actual model garning a second batch of exposure for both the camera and the brand.

It would hard for it to not be larger than the existing models due to the increase size of the sensor. It is not a model that I am interested in purchasing but I do think that they were NOT premature in providing the 3D model at the show, in fact I think they would have lost some Pentax owners if they had not. Besides maybe being the first to use a 3D model at a camera trade show (not sure if they are) is also good publicity. They did not have to wait until either Canon or Nikon did that.
02-12-2015, 03:18 PM   #104
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Yassarian Quote
I dunno I really don't see many ppl unveiling a lump of a plastic to any amount of fanfare lol.
It is a bit strange. But it still attracted quite a crowd, and a lot of media. So the exercise met it's objectives, I think.

Granted, it would be strange indeed if every other camera maker at CP+ did what Ricoh did and just unveiled similar lumps of plastic.

On the plus side, Ricoh have now put pressure on themselves to deliver something impressive - and real.
02-12-2015, 03:21 PM   #105
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
It is a bit strange. But it still attracted quite a crowd, and a lot of media. So the exercise met it's objectives, I think.

Granted, it would be strange indeed if every other camera maker at CP+ did what Ricoh did and just unveiled similar lumps of plastic.

On the plus side, Ricoh have now put pressure on themselves to deliver something impressive - and real.

Japanese men don't deal well with pressure, the country has high suicide rates among professionals as is...