Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-12-2015, 03:22 PM   #106

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeodial Quote
Pentax F1
Why not FF1?

Have not seen any reference to the dimensions of the plastic brick or photos of anybody with the brick in their hands that could also give some idea of what to expect.

Is it likely to be a smallish-style DSLR or a big MFKer?

02-12-2015, 03:31 PM   #107
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeodial Quote
Pentax F1
But then they can't have a F2, F3 F4 etc or they are using the names of classic Nikon cameras and the F6 is still available to purchase new
02-12-2015, 03:55 PM   #108
Emperor and Senpai

K3* lol
02-12-2015, 04:03 PM   #109
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by redrockcoulee Quote
If it is not a working camera does it matter if it is a 3D model, clay or metal? They announced that they are going to be releasing it this year. I do not think it is up for pre-orders or anything yet. It makes sense to release a prototype or model at this trade show if the camera is going to be released this year, combined with the new lenses and cameras Pentax should make maximum use of the exposure to promote the new FF. Later this summer they may release the specs and or images of the actual model garning a second batch of exposure for both the camera and the brand.
Yes it does matter - if instead they have an *ACTUAL* mock up, with plastic/metal integrated, with the shell of the actual camera - even if the internals are not finalized - this still indicates to the viewer/reader that the camera is well on its way to pre-production. Some manufacturer will do this - to present a mock up, with the proper dimension/shape/even weight of the final camera/phone/goods. This indicates that this is more real than just a rendering of somebody's CAD model.

At any rate I'm hoping for more information shortly... I'd guess that if say by mid August, still not much is known about this mysterious camera, can probably kiss the EOY deadline goodbye. lol

02-12-2015, 04:08 PM   #110
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Yes, it would! A 100%, 0.8 x viewfinder - I would gladly give up on the built-in flash for that.
It wouldn't take me much to give up the built in flash

Not that they wouldn't go up in price already, but I suspect some old glass to skyrocket if this thing has built in SR.
02-12-2015, 04:11 PM   #111
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Yassarian Quote
Yes it does matter - if instead they have an *ACTUAL* mock up, with plastic/metal integrated, with the shell of the actual camera - even if the internals are not finalized - this still indicates to the viewer/reader that the camera is well on its way to pre-production.
But should it be, let's say half a year before going to production? Should they finish the chassis/body first, make the required tooling available for building it in quantity etc before the internal parts are finalized and fitted inside?
02-12-2015, 04:17 PM   #112

QuoteOriginally posted by redrockcoulee Quote
If it is not a working camera does it matter if it is a 3D model, clay or metal? They announced that they are going to be releasing it this year. I do not think it is up for pre-orders or anything yet.
sad the mock up is not up for pre-orders yet since if it was I would have ordered one as a valentine´s day gift for my wife
02-12-2015, 04:18 PM   #113
Pentaxian

AFAIK all 35mm-format AF cameras on the market have viewfinder magnifications under 0.8x.
Good point. Canon and Nikon DSLR OVFs are all in the 100% coverage at 0.76X and below category.

es, it would! A 100%, 0.8 x viewfinder - I would gladly give up on the built-in flash for that.
0.8X @ 100% would certainly be nice, I think having a better viewfinder would be one way pentax could distinguish itself from the other makers when it comes to FF.

02-12-2015, 04:36 PM - 1 Like   #114

Photos: Albums
Man this forum is alive. IMO Ricoh is pretty smart. They struck a nerve and sent a wave through the entire photographic community. A lot of Pentaxians wasn't expecting it.(me for one) Canikons were sure it wasn't going to happen, but it is. It was a deliberate move to show what they have there on display. Which wasn't too surprising to be honest. They have very recently asked Pentaxians our opinions of what features it should have. That in itself may suggest it is still in it's very early stages. Maybe they were trying to see if there were any features they've overlooked before actual production, yet wanting to show some tangible proof no matter how primitive.

Big is a nice statement as well for such an iconic camera. It looks somewhat imposing next to an "already proven K-3!" No matter lump of clay or block of plastic, "it say Pentax and makes me drool!"
02-12-2015, 04:42 PM - 1 Like   #115
Forum Member

But should it be, let's say half a year before going to production? Should they finish the chassis/body first, make the required tooling available for building it in quantity etc before the internal parts are finalized and fitted inside?
If half a year before going to production they still have not finalized the chassis/body *design*, they certainly would not be able to sell the camera half a year later. Remember even after finalizing the chassis, still need to work out the kinks of the assembly line, ramp up production, testing, distributing, etc. As far as we know this is not gonna be based on an existing body, so an entire new manufacturing line would need to be designed to it end to end. Testing/QA process alone would take about half a year for a ground-up product as complicated as this.

If for instance they have a real, non-working prototype, that's far far more down the development cycle than a lump of plastic. If presented with a non-working prototype then I'd have a little more confidence in a 2015 release date, IMHO.
02-12-2015, 04:47 PM - 3 Likes   #116
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I like it, it gives us something to talk about, chew the fat about, mull, argue, bounce baseless specifications at each other, and calms a certain section of our community down. Pentax have also publicly thanked us for being patient and also suggested that they want their former Pentaxian's back from the other systems.
Looks wise it is growing on me, I can see bits of K-5/3, some of the 67 line but strangely also a K20D vibe as well. Looks like it will become part of my body.
No one has extrapolated performance yet if based on the K-3 / 645Z, frame rate of 4 max?, raw buffer in the region of 10-15? Will that be enough? For me it will but how about the action Shooters?
02-12-2015, 05:27 PM - 1 Like   #117
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
THere are some things that Pentax are great at doing, and should continue to do for all their dSLRs: SR, DR, TAv mode (higher end cameras at least), solid construction.
The FF camera must have all this, and with the bonus of keeping up with >5 FPS (and >20 images at this rate) and switchable AA filter, this will surely be a camera worth waiting and saving up for.
02-12-2015, 05:32 PM - 3 Likes   #118
Pentaxian

I'm really digging the retro look of the new K-2/K-1:

Michael
02-12-2015, 05:38 PM - 1 Like   #119
Forum Member

Well i like it, looks like a mean manchine.
02-12-2015, 06:04 PM - 1 Like   #120
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Yassarian Quote
If half a year before going to production they still have not finalized the chassis/body *design*, they certainly would not be able to sell the camera half a year later. Remember even after finalizing the chassis, still need to work out the kinks of the assembly line, ramp up production, testing, distributing, etc. As far as we know this is not gonna be based on an existing body, so an entire new manufacturing line would need to be designed to it end to end. Testing/QA process alone would take about half a year for a ground-up product as complicated as this.

If for instance they have a real, non-working prototype, that's far far more down the development cycle than a lump of plastic. If presented with a non-working prototype then I'd have a little more confidence in a 2015 release date, IMHO.
It no longer takes that long.