Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 199 Likes Search this Thread
02-12-2015, 06:10 PM - 5 Likes   #121
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If they say 'before the end of the year' the mean 'before the end of the year'.

They said, "Before the end of the Year."

02-12-2015, 07:45 PM   #122
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dr_who Quote
OoOoOoOoOoOo I sure hope the FF comes in hot pink like the K-S2!

Just kidding, but I kinda like the orange on the K-S2. For the market the camera is trying to reach I think it adds a bit of fun sporty feel to a entry level slr.
I wish the K-3 had the option of a different color trim. I have two bodies and would like some easy means of telling them apart.
02-12-2015, 07:56 PM - 1 Like   #123
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you want this to be ready before the end of the year, they really should be nearing production, or at least laying out and sorting out the last of the ground work by now in terms of timing of it all. Many of the features can be tweaked by firmware and subsequent updates. It is more the physical aspects that takes time with production of casts, securing materials and parts manufactures, and then not to mention field testings. I am more than pretty sure there are working models that are being tested out in the field now. They need to time to ensure certain degree of quality control. They must be much further along than you many think. It is almost end of February. They are teasing you. Or that they were worried about leaks. I dunno.
02-12-2015, 08:06 PM - 2 Likes   #124
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wouldn't it be safe to assume that they already have a (working) prototype and that this "mock-up" is simply to keep us interested while they are almost done with it ??
Just a guess ...

02-12-2015, 08:48 PM   #125
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Quote
It means that the SR mechanism will be used to increase the effective megapixels, resulting in a 1.5-2x increase in image resolution. The files will be up to 4x larger. It can only be used when the camera and subject are not moving.
Or does it mean 4K video but only for time lapse alla the K-3
02-12-2015, 09:09 PM - 1 Like   #126
Veteran Member

A camera is still a camera on a production line ,this one will be bigger but most of the assembly process will be the same. Same thing, a working prototype could be done and they do not need to have a 100 % final exterior shell. The exterior shell can be easly be done will the 3D printer or older type of process
Tool for plastic and casting are done now in less than 8 weeks. Camera shell are not rocket science anymore.
02-12-2015, 09:22 PM   #127
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
I wish the K-3 had the option of a different color trim. I have two bodies and would like some easy means of telling them apart.
They sell a gun metal version as well as a silver version.

02-13-2015, 12:04 AM   #128
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is awesome. So far I'm good with all I've seen, especially the large OVF and SR.

Do we have any expectations on DR/ISO performance on the two candidate sensors (Sony 24mp or 36mp)? If we assume they are the set used in the A7 and A7r, we can look at dxomark...

I dug up this dxomark comparison:
Sony A7II vs A7R vs A7S: Horses for courses - DxOMark

I was surprised how well the 36mp sensor performed compared to the 24mp, especially on ISO noise performance.
02-13-2015, 12:07 AM   #129
Pentaxian

I could bet that it will be 36 mp. For me 24 could be enough thou.
02-13-2015, 12:30 AM - 2 Likes   #130
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
THere are some things that Pentax are great at doing, and should continue to do for all their dSLRs: SR, DR, TAv mode (higher end cameras at least), solid construction.
There is another thing that Ricoh is really good at doing; controlling the release of information.

The fact that they only showed a 3D printed mock-up tells us *nothing* about how advanced is their manufacturing process.
02-13-2015, 12:30 AM - 3 Likes   #131
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
How does a Pentax flash master communicate with its slaves?
strobe?
IR?
RF?
Whip.
02-13-2015, 12:32 AM   #132
Veteran Member

dunno what all the talk is about a camera, take a look at that crowd. That is the biggest crowd I have seen around a pentax/ricoh booth in... er... ever?
02-13-2015, 12:52 AM - 1 Like   #133
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by deus ursus Quote
Whip.
Wonderfully done, DU! :-)
02-13-2015, 01:49 AM - 1 Like   #134
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
I could bet that it will be 36 mp. For me 24 could be enough thou.
From experience with APS-C flagships, I typically don't need more than 24MP in an image. That might appear to mean that I could accept a 24MP sensor. But ....

I will sometimes use DA lenses that the camera will crop. So in effect it would no longer be a 24MP sensor, more like about 12MP. This would make a 24MP sensor inadequate.
02-13-2015, 02:15 AM   #135
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by grispie Quote
hm, I have a classic K2. no excuse not to buy the digital K2 now..
Me too. It'll be nice to have mirror lockup button just like old K2. I bet to top button on the left side.