Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-14-2015, 11:54 AM   #226

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
You're not the only one - I don't think it's the ugliest camera ever, but the mirror box with its weird pyramid is seriously hideous. I hope they'll replace it with something that looks more like the K3.
Heck naw! I'd be hurt if they did. Besides, we could tell Canikons how it needed room in the mirror box for the extra Pentax components that unfortunately they don't have.

02-14-2015, 11:55 AM - 1 Like   #227
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am not a potential future FF buyer of any brand, and my opinion is of little or no value...and I know it. However, this camera looks like the perfect example of "ORDINARY". A big ugly plastic blob with some knobs and dials. I would have hoped that Ricoh would have given design innovation some thought, but apparently not?

Looks like keeping the cost to a minimum is all important, and plastic blobs are plenty cheap to make...the world is full of them from every maker! Ugly boxes that all look the same from a few feet away.....

Regards!
02-14-2015, 12:01 PM   #228
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I am not a potential future FF buyer of any brand, and my opinion is of little or no value...and I know it. However, this camera looks like the perfect example of "ORDINARY". A big ugly plastic blob with some knobs and dials. I would have hoped that Ricoh would have given design innovation some thought, but apparently not?

Looks like keeping the cost to a minimum is all important, and plastic blobs are plenty cheap to make...the world is full of them from every maker! Ugly boxes that all look the same from a few feet away.....

Regards!

Let's not forget it's a 3D printed, plastic mock-up. Anything can change between now and the release date.
02-14-2015, 12:05 PM   #229
Veteran Member

Looks like keeping the cost to a minimum is all important, and plastic blobs are plenty cheap to make ... the world is full of them from every maker!
Judging from what Pentax has produced so far (K5, K5 II, K3) the new FF will be anything but plastic - more like an all-metal, tank like terminator. Just a rather ugly one, based on the mockup.

02-14-2015, 12:06 PM   #230
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was hoping it would be the size of that old tank, the venerable Pentax 67!

Michael
02-14-2015, 12:10 PM   #231

I think it looks pretty damn good, and will look better with larger lenses.

BUT, with all this talk about size and looks, I'm more interested in how much it's going to weigh!

Pentax cameras can be a little on the heavy side. If the FF is a lot heavier than the K-3 then it could be an issue for some people. It could be twice as heavy as far as we know.
02-14-2015, 12:15 PM - 1 Like   #232
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
I think you are polluted by all existing bullshits and didn't get it right : such a bump has nothing to do with style.... it IS the pentaprism.
^^^
You're not the only one - I don't think it's the ugliest camera ever, but the mirror box with its weird pyramid is seriously hideous. I hope they'll replace it with something that looks more like the K3.
I want a prism like an MX.

But the legacy prism suggested was probably even better.

Last edited by monochrome; 02-14-2015 at 03:19 PM.
02-14-2015, 12:20 PM - 2 Likes   #233
Pentaxian

I would have hoped that Ricoh would have given design innovation some thought, but apparently not?
After the flaming of the K-01 and K-S1?
02-14-2015, 12:55 PM   #234
ogl
Banned

If mirror box is huge...maybe Pentax FF camera will have the biggest OVF in the world?
Canon EOS-1D X has the biggest VF between DSLR 100% 0.76x . Am I right?

Lets dream...100% 0.9x. But 100% 0.8x will be very good too.
02-14-2015, 12:57 PM   #235
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

....this is what I had in mind for a sexy and functional solid metal body....
The FUJIFILM X-T1 Graphite Silver Edition boasts a rich, high-quality finish, a 1/32000sec. electronic shutter and amongst other additions, a new Film Simulation mode. | Fujifilm Global

It certainly resembles the Pentax of old....and could easily be made to be modernly functional as well as handsome and sexy, solid in the hands, and a joy to use.

It's thinking "out of the box" instead of in an old big ugly plastic looking box. Just my opinion, and I already know that has little value, but it is a thought that has made Fuji a ton of cash in their X series cameras. They went from nothing to being a real contender with their handsome X cameras....think of what Pentax could do with their superior ( in my opinion) menus and user friendly controls.

Get out of the ugly box, look around, change the world!

Regards!
02-14-2015, 01:51 PM   #236
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by slip Quote
I guess if this is the case I would not be giving up my k5iis any time soon
If it serves your needs why would you even consider giving it up? I can't imagine *not* having an APS-C body to compliment the FF.
02-14-2015, 02:03 PM   #237

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
If it serves your needs why would you even consider giving it up? I can't imagine *not* having an APS-C body to compliment the FF.
Sure this guy would agree! Him too! And also her...so you are not alone
02-14-2015, 02:07 PM   #238
bxf
Veteran Member

....this is what I had in mind for a sexy and functional solid metal body....
The FUJIFILM X-T1 Graphite Silver Edition boasts a rich, high-quality finish, a 1/32000sec. electronic shutter and amongst other additions, a new Film Simulation mode. | Fujifilm Global

It certainly resembles the Pentax of old....and could easily be made to be modernly functional as well as handsome and sexy, solid in the hands, and a joy to use.

It's thinking "out of the box" instead of in an old big ugly plastic looking box. Just my opinion, and I already know that has little value, but it is a thought that has made Fuji a ton of cash in their X series cameras. They went from nothing to being a real contender with their handsome X cameras....think of what Pentax could do with their superior ( in my opinion) menus and user friendly controls.

Get out of the ugly box, look around, change the world!

Regards!
That X-T1 gorgeous!

People who grow up in the digital camera age believe that DSLRs look he way they do because that is nicer than the pre-digital bodies. They don't seem to realize that the bodies are thick and chunky by necessity, to accommodate all the electronics, etc. I paid a fortune for my first digital (Leica Digilux 2) mainly because it looked (and worked) like a non-digital.
02-14-2015, 02:24 PM   #239
Pentaxian

You're not the only one - I don't think it's the ugliest camera ever, but the mirror box with its weird pyramid is seriously hideous
. Apart from housing a massive chunk of pentaprism, to me that pyramid hump looks really good.
02-14-2015, 02:32 PM - 1 Like   #240
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums

Regards!
This NOT the camera for this. You don't get Pros with you by inovating the forms. You deliver.

---------- Post added 14-02-15 at 22:35 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
That X-T1 gorgeous!
It is but feels cheap as an Eos300D. Tried to turn its speed dial? It is the same kind as on my LX3: very cheap plastic. It may be sexy but it is nowhere near solid enough for the market Ricoh wants to get in.

And this has nothing to do with the other qualities the XT1 has.