Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 199 Likes Search this Thread
02-14-2015, 02:35 PM   #241
Forum Member

I never thought that a large pentaprism could cause so much anxiety. If low end pentax dslrs have better viewfinders than the competition, why it shouldn't be the case with this camera ?

02-14-2015, 02:36 PM   #242
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Because sometimes people prefer form over performance. We all do at times.
02-14-2015, 03:16 PM   #243
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd prefer functionality instead of form. And one can really argue of taste, and form. For ages. And still you cannot find solution what pleases everyone. I like metal body and plastic cover. About 5 months I shoot in cold enviroments. In that case metal even with your cloves on is not as pleasant as plastic. And it takes beating too.

I just love that hump and as every one have pointed out. It is plastic, doh! Well let us say that they cannot nake it any worse than it now is. So every peace of class and metal is just going in better direction, right?
02-14-2015, 03:18 PM   #244

QuoteOriginally posted by pacu Quote
I never thought that a large pentaprism could cause so much anxiety.
I get your point

02-14-2015, 03:42 PM   #245
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
It is but feels cheap as an Eos300D. Tried to turn its speed dial? It is the same kind as on my LX3: very cheap plastic. It may be sexy but it is nowhere near solid enough for the market Ricoh wants to get in.
Ricoh doesn't have to make a cheap equipped camera, even if you think the X-T1 is cheaply made....I have never used one so I can't say.

I can tell you that if this was made into a FF camera it would sell like crazy...all solid, machined dials and very solidly built. Cameras of this quality tend to be used more often, kept longer, and appreciated more than an ordinary plastic box.

Cost must be a big factor? Still, I would pay more for a camera of better design and construction and I think most others would too. Maybe not? I'm just voicing my feeling.....and I'm not always right......we could ask Otis...he is always right!

Regards!
02-14-2015, 03:57 PM   #246
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'd love to have a split rangefinder again, that was always the best way to focus
02-14-2015, 04:25 PM   #247
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What did I miss here ... some talks about the not-yet-here FF being ugly ??
What's the consensus ?

Is it at all possible to have an ugly FF camera that will actually perform ??

JP

02-14-2015, 04:35 PM - 1 Like   #248
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Is it at all possible to have an ugly FF camera that will actually perform ??
Yep, just like having a fat ugly wife that can cook like a gourmet chef. If that is all that counts, heaven is at hand!

However, there is nothing that says you can't have a lovely gorgeous wife that can cook equally well.

Bottom line...one may be cheaper than the other......

Regards!
02-14-2015, 04:37 PM   #249
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Yep, just like having a fat ugly wife that can cook like a gourmet chef. If that is all that counts, heaven is at hand!

However, there is nothing that says you can't have a lovely gorgeous wife that can cook equally well.

Bottom line...one may be cheaper than the other......

Regards!
02-14-2015, 05:22 PM   #250
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
This PS image found on the web coveys a more complete image of what the final product will look like
Attached Images

02-14-2015, 06:11 PM   #251

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
I'd love to have a split rangefinder again, that was always the best way to focus
at least unlike the mirrorless FF brethren this will probably have a focusing screen :-/

katzeye makes a split image focusing screen for the K-5 but most likely the same one will not fit this beast though why not hope and anyways if it doesn´t fit rest assured some genius will figure out how to make it fit anyways even if it can only be done by cutting open that big pentaprism with a blow torch and sticky taping the old focusing screen on top of the new one... the only uncertainty in my mind is if the micro-adjustment feature will accommodate this kind of backyard engineering?
02-14-2015, 06:16 PM   #252
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
After the flaming of the K-01 and K-S1?
Well said. Had enough drama with the K01, please just let me have ordinary and functional. The designer's signature on the bottom of the K01 was a major turn-off for me.
02-15-2015, 01:21 AM - 2 Likes   #253
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote

I can tell you that if this was made into a FF camera it would sell like crazy...all solid, machined dials and very solidly built.

Regards!
Believe me, it's illusion.
Fujifilm's cameras are retro speculation and imitation.

I think it's niche products and a lot of users prefer modern classical cameras. Not Fujifilm's stuff.

Buy Fujifilm FF camera in fake retro design. Or Leica M240.

Why do you want Pentax to be Fujifilm?
02-15-2015, 01:39 AM   #254
ogl
Banned

It's really cool camera.
Attached Images

02-15-2015, 03:03 AM   #255
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
I used to like microprism focusing. But I wouldn't argue with split-image focusing. (I miss having one or the other of those).