Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 199 Likes Search this Thread
02-17-2015, 08:39 AM   #286
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lukulele Quote
Phil,
Agreed! Peugeot 304 with full roof racks for bicycle races, Merckx, Campagnolo, Pinarello, Columbus, etc. factory decals covered the entire car. Virtually every control was on a 1 or more second delay (somewhat like my K-01) but it was fun and did the job well.(also like the K-01)
I had a Peugeot 504 with roof rack for my Doniselli with Campy gears. The only real delay in the controls was the heater, it would kick in as soon as the outside temperature became very warm, usually by July. I never could pedal fast enough to be in a race unless it was against kids on trikes.

I have used the Fuji X100 and it was a very nice camera A freind bought a X-Pro1 kit used and loves it. He also uses or has had Nikon D1X, D2X,D3,D4,D800,D7000,F2.F3,F4,F5. The Fuji is different from the Nikons and he likes most of them. I think the F3 and the X-Pro1 may be his favourites.

Pentax should not try to be Fuji unless it is to continue producing medium format film cameras. Copying Fuji and people would think if I am going to get a Fuji copy why not just get a Fuji.

What I wonder if Pentax and others can make a retractable lens can they make a retractable lens mount. That way a thin mirrorless camera could be made with mirrorless lenses but put a K mount on it and the lens mount comes out the necessary amount for registration. Come out first with a cropped sensor and then add a full frame mirrorless that can use all of Pentax lenses the same way a DSLR can.

02-17-2015, 10:19 AM   #287
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
Thankfully my nostalgia doesn't extend to cameras, for others it does - i get that.
I bought into Fuji with the X-A1. It is decidedly not nostalgic. (Not that there is anything wrong with that.)

One of the Fuji reviews, pointed out that the nostalgic dials on the exterior interfered with some of the automated sub-routines we expect of modern cameras.
Sounds questionable to me. It turns out that an aperture ring is still the best way to control aperture, and an exposure compensation dial is still the best way to control exposure compensation! Changing ISO on-the-fly is new with digital. (Yes, I know that some people do this with film, but they are a tiny minority.)

With Pentax, we like our TVA mode. How do routines like that work with 3 basic control dials, i.e. shutter, aperture, iso, on the exterior. Don't remember what model the review was on, - just don't expect that such nostalgic cameras have all the features we have come to accept as standard in our modern cameras.
TAv mode is unique to Pentax, I believe. (So is Sv mode, right? Most only have Tv, Av, and M.)

So in this way you are correct - if Pentax's TAv mode is perfect for you, any other camera won't do. That's why it's a good thing to have choices.

But - for me, and I'm a long-time Pentax fan - the Fujis present a better interface for using a camera. I work almost exclusively in Av mode only, and like I stated above controlling aperture and exposure compensation is 95% of what I do. Having an aperture ring and ev dial are perfect. It's not perfect for changing ISO because you can't program the scroll wheel to do that, here's hoping Fuji updates the firmware to allow it. As it is, I have to press the Fn button then use the scroll wheel - not terrible, but not perfect.

Fuji also implemented a 'Quick Access' screen with most settings configurable there rather than through a deep menu. It's where I go for the other 5% of my changes, like setting the 2s timer. Pretty good idea IMO.
02-17-2015, 10:51 AM   #288
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by carpents Quote
TAv mode is unique to Pentax, I believe.
The name, yes, the function, no: It's M with Auto-ISO.
02-17-2015, 10:57 AM   #289
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by carpents Quote
Fuji also implemented a 'Quick Access' screen with most settings configurable there rather than through a deep menu. It's where I go for the other 5% of my changes, like setting the 2s timer. Pretty good idea IMO.
How does that differ from the INFO screen on the K-01 and K-3?

02-17-2015, 11:07 AM   #290
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
Well then the Fuji might work the same. I don't use Auto-ISO on any of my cameras.

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
How does that differ from the INFO screen on the K-01 and K-3?
Same idea, yes. (So I can't understand how the Fuji would present a functional impediment.)
02-17-2015, 11:13 AM   #291
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Belnan Quote
There is almost no chance of Pentax choosing the 24 MP sensor. 36 MP is likely the sweet spot.
GOD.....that's what Im praying for...please....lol. 36mp would be just perfect !

---------- Post added 02-18-15 at 02:20 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by cxdoo Quote
I don't think Ricoh wants to position itself as a el-cheapo alternative to Canikon, i.e. I don't think Pentax FF system will be cheap.
I don't either. I have a feeling we are all going to be very surprised. Not only on a high price point but on a very capable camera. I don't think Pentax will follow on this one....It will lead !

Last edited by Dlanor Sekao; 02-17-2015 at 11:20 AM.
02-18-2015, 10:01 PM   #292

That's actually the same as the K-01 and the Q.

QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote

02-25-2015, 02:00 AM   #293
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dlanor Sekao Quote
I don't either. I have a feeling we are all going to be very surprised. Not only on a high price point but on a very capable camera. I don't think Pentax will follow on this one....It will lead !
i would hope they don't go for the cheap & faster sales. After all, the FF should go for the pro market imo as alternative to nikon/canon/sony & complementing the 645 series in one way or another. No need to shoot low on this.

Ideally i'd wish they actually put two models on the market. One higher specced as per nikon d810 e.g. and one lower specced for advanced amateurs.
Don't know how feasible that is though.
02-25-2015, 04:52 AM   #294
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by grispie Quote
i would hope they don't go for the cheap & faster sales. After all, the FF should go for the pro market imo as alternative to nikon/canon/sony & complementing the 645 series in one way or another. No need to shoot low on this.

Ideally i'd wish they actually put two models on the market. One higher specced as per nikon d810 e.g. and one lower specced for advanced amateurs.
It is and they will IMO. Later.
02-25-2015, 07:47 AM - 1 Like   #295
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by grispie Quote
I don't think we'll have to wait too long for this. Every system needs an affordable body to get people on board and an advanced model for people to aspire to. Without the former, they won't get any volume on the lens sales. Without the latter, people will hesitate to invest in the system because there is no upgrade path.
02-25-2015, 09:14 AM   #296
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
I don't think we'll have to wait too long for this. Every system needs an affordable body to get people on board and an advanced model for people to aspire to. Without the former, they won't get any volume on the lens sales. Without the latter, people will hesitate to invest in the system because there is no upgrade path.
A factor here is that the new FF camera will be part of an established system from the start. While I expect that eventually there will be more than one FF camera, I suspect they can survive for some time without the "affordable model".

There are lots of people in these forums (and probably elsewhere) who have already made a start on the lenses, (some APS-C, some FF), used with APS-C cameras, and who now want the "advanced model" FF camera.

I wonder if it is at least as important for Ricoh/Pentax to have a cheaper range of FF lenses than the ones we have started to see? Lenses that can be sold to APS-C camera users, so that when they move from an APS-C camera to an FF camera, they have lenses ready for FF use?
02-25-2015, 09:23 AM   #297

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
It is and they will
+1
what is the point of a flag ship without a fleet... though if I remember right Denmark did send a submarine to the Gulf War so anything is possible
02-25-2015, 09:35 AM   #298
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Barry Pearson Quote
I wonder if it is at least as important for Ricoh/Pentax to have a cheaper range of FF lenses than the ones we have started to see? Lenses that can be sold to APS-C camera users, so that when they move from an APS-C camera to an FF camera, they have lenses ready for FF use?
HD/Quickshift versions of the FA 50 and FA 35?
They could even brand them "Takumar" to emphasize the cheapness.

Although sooner or later, the DC motor has to move in.
02-25-2015, 10:20 AM   #299
Pentaxian

DA35/DA50 with DC motor (ideally f/2 for the 35mm) would be good starts.
An updated (barrel but maybe optically too I dunno how this one fares on digital) M85/2 or K85/1.8 and they have nice cheap FF lenses.
Add an updated 28/2.8 (28/2 would be nice) and done.

---------- Post added 25-02-15 at 18:23 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Barry Pearson Quote
A factor here is that the new FF camera will be part of an established system from the start. While I expect that eventually there will be more than one FF camera, I suspect they can survive for some time without the "affordable model".
Factually, sort of.
Marketingly: not at all.
They need to juggle between those two but they'll need to emphasize on Pros and advanced photogs.
02-26-2015, 11:27 PM   #300
ogl
Banned