Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-27-2015, 09:53 AM   #316
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
KA and a number (7) sounds good, but it can be mixed up with K mount.
But R as in Richo (and also Leica R), R7 ok?

02-27-2015, 10:21 AM   #317
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bophoto Quote
KA and a number (7) sounds good, but it can be mixed up with K mount.
But R as in Richo (and also Leica R), R7 ok?

Hmmmm... I guess the guys from Mazda can argue something about using "R7"....
02-27-2015, 11:22 AM   #318
Veteran Member

I vote for either
K-Too
or
K-lusive
02-27-2015, 12:19 PM   #319
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Myself, I`m more interested in specifications and performance. As long as they don't name it "1st dl II" or anything similar, I´m good. ;-)

02-27-2015, 03:38 PM   #320
mee
Veteran Member

They can call it shapalapadingdong for all I care as long as the camera itself is a great performer. Why do some of you get so stuck on the name or color? Is our photography more about how we look in public than our craft?
02-27-2015, 03:47 PM - 1 Like   #321
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Is our photography more about how we look in public than our craft?
Well of course - I wouldn't want to be seen with an ugly camera! Seriously, I see a lot of people on (whispers) another place have called the full-frame mock-up ugly. I don't know if it will eventually look like that, but I think it looks great - very purposeful and tough. I can't be the only one, surely?
02-28-2015, 05:24 AM   #322
Pentaxian

No of course, if ugliness is your reaction, go mirrorless....

02-28-2015, 06:20 AM   #323
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by windhorse Quote
katzeye makes a split image focusing screen for the K-5 but most likely the same one will not fit this beast though why not hope and anyways if it doesn´t fit rest assured some genius will figure out how to make it fit anyways even if it can only be done by cutting open that big pentaprism with a blow torch and sticky taping the old focusing screen on top of the new one... the only uncertainty in my mind is if the micro-adjustment feature will accommodate this kind of backyard engineering?

Negative. The focussing screen has by definition the same size as the sensor.

Possibly you could rip the split prism from an old manual camera. Likely you will have metering problems though.
02-28-2015, 06:35 AM   #324
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
A Japanese site features photos of the unveiling of the FF prototpye.

Sadly, it is just a 3D print again, but one can see the back of the camera with an enormous screen.

More images of the Pentax FF mock-up at Gigazine.
Camera body looks like it was milled from a block of plastic. That increases my hopes that the final camera will be less clumsy and have little different proportions.
Some tme ago these mock ups were called design studies and NOT proto types.
02-28-2015, 09:26 AM   #325
Forum Member

So where are the specs, other than FF?

Curious if it has auto-zoom support. De-cripled the mount?

What I like about the high-end Nikons is that it does not have only an in-focus indicator, but also a short-focus and long-focus indicator. Will it have those?
02-28-2015, 09:43 AM   #326
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JohntheThird Quote
What I like about the high-end Nikons is that it does not have only an in-focus indicator, but also a short-focus and long-focus indicator. Will it have those?
I never use these. I don't find them particularly useful when manually focusing, but I know others do. My eyes tell me when something is in focus - if I watched the indicator, I'd probably lose the shot.

Last edited by Cynog Ap Brychan; 02-28-2015 at 11:59 AM.
02-28-2015, 10:30 AM   #327
Forum Member

Another thing that comes to mind for an advanced camera.

When using an alternative (split prism) focus screen it is well known that the metering may be off. It should not be very difficult to electronically correct this metering, possibly with some kind of metering calibration. Right?
02-28-2015, 10:35 AM   #328

QuoteOriginally posted by JohntheThird Quote
metering may be off
i was concerned about this when I replaced the focusing screen in my Contax 645 with a Maxwell split image focusing screen and was happy to discover as far as i could see it had no noticeable effect on the metering, so i guess it depends a lot on which screen you replace the original one with?
02-28-2015, 10:59 AM   #329
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by windhorse Quote
so i guess it depends a lot on which screen you replace the original one with?

I have no personal experience. Cats eye states that there may be problems in certain cases with certain screens with certain lenses and certain F-stops. I think other manufacturers would have similar issues.

If these problems can be predicted or measured in any way, the camera can be programmed to correct those problems.

For me, the potential of those problems is a major barrier to invest in a good split screen for my K5. If a camera can eliminate the effect, I am sure to buy one.
02-28-2015, 11:03 AM   #330
Veteran Member

I am not sure if anyone agrees that it is useful or not, but after switching between spot metering and center-weigh metering in a recent gig, suddenly something occurs to me - why can they not make the spot metering to center-weigh metering in steps or something in between (or perhaps make the spot size adjustable). That would be a great feature to have in the pro/advanced camera model.