Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 199 Likes Search this Thread
06-10-2015, 02:43 PM   #736
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Indeed...

but there have been even more interesting news since:
If readout speed is faster then FPS also? my guess was 40MP for Pentax FF..so this at 42 seems right,& 20MP crop? if FPS can be 8 or more then definitely an all in one landscape/wildlife machine!! even if it costs $3200

06-10-2015, 02:48 PM   #737
IOO

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Will Pentax use this sensor?
I ment that since the rumors says that it will be New Sony sensor, and this sounds briliant, and maybe there will be something as impressive in the A99II, what Pentax (Ricoh) will get this time, must also be impressive. I think that Ricoh is willing to pay Sony more thanbefore to have a newer sensor than Nikon.
06-10-2015, 02:55 PM   #738
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by IOO Quote
I ment that since the rumors says that it will be New Sony sensor, and this sounds briliant, and maybe there will be something as impressive in the A99II, what Pentax (Ricoh) will get this time, must also be impressive. I think that Ricoh is willing to pay Sony more thanbefore to have a newer sensor than Nikon.
What rumors are those? Haven't heard them before now

Anyway, it depends whether Pentax want to be contemporary or affordable with their FF camera. And is this new sensor available for them?
A 42mp FF would be great.
06-10-2015, 02:58 PM   #739
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Not exactly this one since the Alpha 7R II's sensor includes 399 phase-detection AF points.
AF in live view would stop being a pain.

06-10-2015, 03:03 PM   #740
Veteran Member

As a long time fan and supporter of the Pentax label, I fear Ricoh maybe entering a most difficult market at this time. ie, when I look at the changes and direction of the camera industry over the past few, I can't help but feel as though this one may be one of the most difficult markets to enter over the span of the last 10 years. ie, Sony seems to be pulling all the stops with the A7Rii which appears to be positioned to compete in the DSLR territory.
06-10-2015, 03:06 PM   #741
Veteran Member

Anyway, it depends whether Pentax want to be contemporary or affordable with their FF camera. And is this new sensor available for them?
Its very possible that we see 2 FF bodies. One with the 24MP and one with the new 42MP. The 24MP would allow Ricoh to hit the sub $2,000 price point. The 42MP would give them a higher end option to compete with Canon's 50MP and the A99II.
06-10-2015, 03:08 PM   #742
IOO

After what I've heard Pentax will this time have a brand new sensor, and it's likely to be one from Sony. I also heard that it will be better than what Nikon uses, so it must be something really good. You can sell the body with rather small profit, and hope that you will get a lot of new Pentaxians, and that they by many lenses too. And that the old Pentaxians can afford to by new lenses, wich would not be cheap, like the already announced 70-200 f2.8 and the 150-450. And there will be more to come this year I hope,

Last edited by IOO; 06-10-2015 at 03:28 PM.
06-10-2015, 03:09 PM   #743
Veteran Member

I dont know but a sub 2.5k price tag áspears to be impossible at this point, maybe im out of a Pentax FF camera until end of 2016
06-10-2015, 03:15 PM   #744
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
As a long time fan and supporter of the Pentax label, I fear Ricoh maybe entering a most difficult market at this time. ie, when I look at the changes and direction of the camera industry over the past few, I can't help but feel as though this one may be one of the most difficult markets to enter over the span of the last 10 years. ie, Sony seems to be pulling all the stops with the A7Rii which appears to be positioned to compete in the DSLR territory.
It is definitely a shot at Canon's bread and butter (5DIII). They don't have the lenses yet, but the 42MP BSI sensor should destroy the Canon 50MP across the board. The A7rII has some killer 4K and HD video specs which compete directly with the 5DIII. 8 more FE lenses to launch in 2016 and probably the A9 body with bigger battery, more rugged build, and more processing power and better AF/frame rate. Those Zeiss lenses are awfully nice.

Ricoh is expanding into a contracting market and its going to be a tough fight.
06-10-2015, 03:34 PM   #745
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Its very possible that we see 2 FF bodies. One with the 24MP and one with the new 42MP. The 24MP would allow Ricoh to hit the sub $2,000 price point. The 42MP would give them a higher end option to compete with Canon's 50MP and the A99II.
I find that extremely unlikely in the short term. Pentax will have a hard time selling an FF camera, let alone 2, except for the pent up demand from their users. I don't think they would risk dividing this small market on two models. I wouldn't expect another FF body until the first one needs a new sensor.

---------- Post added 06-11-15 at 12:36 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by IOO Quote
After what I've heard Pentax will this time have a brand new sensor, and it's likely to be one from Sony. I also heard that it will be better than what Nikon uses, so it must be something really good. You can sell the body with rather small profit, and hope that you will get a lot of new Pentaxians, and that they by many lenses too. And that the old Pentaxians can afford to by new lenses, wich would not be cheap, like the already announced 70-200 f2.8 and the 150-450. And there will be more to come this year I hope,
If it uses that new sensor you can expect it to sell for more than $3000. That is an ideal placement in their current line-up between the K3 and the 645z.
I would still bet on the 36mp sensor......

Last edited by Pål Jensen; 06-10-2015 at 03:41 PM.
06-10-2015, 04:22 PM   #746
mee
Veteran Member

I'm really, really hoping Ricoh gives us a sub $2000 USD body. The A7R II looks incredible on paper, but I don't have that much paper to spend on a camera body.. that is more than my entire camera system right now.. for just the camera body! Then I'll need a 24-70 FF lens at the least.... thats look like around 4-5k for the pair.
06-10-2015, 05:08 PM   #747
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
I'm really, really hoping Ricoh gives us a sub $2000 USD body. The A7R II looks incredible on paper, but I don't have that much paper to spend on a camera body.. that is more than my entire camera system right now.. for just the camera body! Then I'll need a 24-70 FF lens at the least.... thats look like around 4-5k for the pair.
Ricoh probably won't be providing in-body 4K video like the A7rII and that is some expensive hardware. I expect the Ricoh FF will be a lower spec body in several ways, so it will be cheaper than the A7rII. Probably not a sub-$2,000 body though.
06-10-2015, 05:33 PM   #748
Veteran Member

From the B&H listing of the A7RII:
The AF system received its own massive upgrade with the use of 399 phase-detect points and 25 contrast-detect points for a speedy Fast Hybrid AF system which will offer extremely accurate tracking.

That's a pretty awesome AF system for a full-frame. Plus the exposure metering range is 'Metering Range: EV -3.0 - EV 20.0', so the AF may also work down to -3 EV. Nice. Still only 5fps though, so sports shooters won't be getting too excited.

The Pentax FF, 42MP or not, will certainly have to offer more AF capability than the K-3 when you start to see FF's appearing with specs like that.

The Sony 42MP FF BSI sensor seems impressive. I wonder if we will see it in Nikon before Pentax? Maybe this time it will be Sony - Pentax - Nikon.
06-10-2015, 06:16 PM   #749
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
From the B&H listing of the A7RII:
The AF system received its own massive upgrade with the use of 399 phase-detect points and 25 contrast-detect points for a speedy Fast Hybrid AF system which will offer extremely accurate tracking.

That's a pretty awesome AF system for a full-frame. Plus the exposure metering range is 'Metering Range: EV -3.0 - EV 20.0', so the AF may also work down to -3 EV. Nice. Still only 5fps though, so sports shooters won't be getting too excited.

The Pentax FF, 42MP or not, will certainly have to offer more AF capability than the K-3 when you start to see FF's appearing with specs like that.

The Sony 42MP FF BSI sensor seems impressive. I wonder if we will see it in Nikon before Pentax? Maybe this time it will be Sony - Pentax - Nikon.
Frankly speaking, I hope Pentax will take 36MP sensor and price it at $2000. It will be much better than taking the latest sensor but price it at $3500.

---------- Post added 06-10-15 at 06:19 PM ----------

Sony alpha 7 is below $1000 already....
06-10-2015, 06:24 PM   #750
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by starjedi Quote
Sony alpha 7 is below $1000 already....
True, but the original A7 is lacking in many ways. I own the A7II and I would have never considered the A7. The A7 is going on 2 years and is a plastic body with poor ergonomics and AF.