Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2015, 10:18 AM   #16
Junior Member




Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 41
QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
What surprises me is that the answer was: "I think it is important". Because there's never been a DSLR with an aperture coupler since the *ist D.
645d an 645z have it

02-13-2015, 10:36 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 20,455
They said it's important but difficult (meaning, 'not gonna dew't'). They gave us important Green Button, not difficult aperture lever.
02-13-2015, 10:53 AM   #18
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Perrineville, NJ
Posts: 1,365
It will never happen. As proof:

In lieu of a mechanical coupler, they could automate the green button, maybe through a menu setting. So, with M and K lenses, when you hit the shutter button, the camera would actuate the green button for you, then fire the shutter. This approach would require zero space and no new parts.

They will never do this, as their goal is not to increase the value and compatibility of legacy lenses. The fact that we get a green button at all, is the only olive branch we are getting.
02-13-2015, 11:09 AM   #19
Senior Member




Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Berlin
Posts: 104
What`s so wrong with the green button? I use it quite often on my K-5, and most of the time the camera is mounted on a tripod when I do. So it's a rather slow procedure anyway, where the green button is no burden. Or am I getting something wrong?

02-13-2015, 11:12 AM - 2 Likes   #20
Veteran Member
blende8's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Bremen, Germany
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,484
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tanzer Quote
It will never happen. As proof:

In lieu of a mechanical coupler, they could automate the green button, maybe through a menu setting. So, with M and K lenses, when you hit the shutter button, the camera would actuate the green button for you, then fire the shutter. This approach would require zero space and no new parts.

They will never do this, as their goal is not to increase the value and compatibility of legacy lenses. The fact that we get a green button at all, is the only olive branch we are getting.
Why then is Nikon doing it?
02-13-2015, 11:25 AM - 2 Likes   #21
Site Supporter
geomez's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Preskitt Arizona
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,684
I, like a lot of you think they leave it out to sell more DA lenses. IMO, having the coupler wouldn't cut into DA sales any more than A series lenses do. I think their fear of lost profit is a silly one. If they really want to increase modern lens sales, why not ditch K mount all together? Because it would be costly. K mount is an asset. The stop down coupler wouldn't change that.
02-13-2015, 11:34 AM   #22
Pentaxian
thibs's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Belgium
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,267
QuoteOriginally posted by geomez Quote
I, like a lot of you think they leave it out to sell more DA lenses. IMO, having the coupler wouldn't cut into DA sales any more than A series lenses do. I think their fear of lost profit is a silly one. If they really want to increase modern lens sales, why not ditch K mount all together? Because it would be costly. K mount is an asset. The stop down coupler wouldn't change that.
It was a fear years ago but now, I agree there's little influence iMO.
But technically it isnt as easy as many think it is.
02-13-2015, 12:13 PM   #23
Site Supporter
geomez's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Preskitt Arizona
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,684
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
It was a fear years ago but now, I agree there's little influence iMO.
But technically it isnt as easy as many think it is.


I am exceptionally na´ve when it comes to camera engineering and design. All I know is I have some old Pentax film bodies that are tiny with stop down couplers.

02-13-2015, 12:15 PM   #24
Pentaxian
thibs's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Belgium
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,267
QuoteOriginally posted by geomez Quote
I am exceptionally na´ve when it comes to camera engineering and design. All I know is I have some old Pentax film bodies that are tiny with stop down couplers.
That's alright you don't need to be an expert
02-13-2015, 12:17 PM   #25
Site Supporter
boriscleto's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Liverpool, NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 12,874
QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
Why then is Nikon doing it?
Because it was the only way to add backwards compatibility. It can also be used as an upsell, because the low end cameras don't have it.
02-13-2015, 12:17 PM   #26
ogl
Pentaxian
ogl's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Siberia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,254
It seems to me that camera is ready not as mock-up. If the camera is in development, why they say that limited space for aperture coupler?
Is it problem to add it during developing? I don't think so...

That's why I think they have already working sample. All mechanical parts of camera is ready IMO
02-13-2015, 12:27 PM   #27
Veteran Member
blende8's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Bremen, Germany
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,484
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Because it was the only way to add backwards compatibility.
What's the difference to Pentax that the coupler was the only way?
02-13-2015, 12:31 PM   #28
ogl
Pentaxian
ogl's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Siberia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,254
QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
What's the difference to Pentax that the coupler was the only way?
It seems to me that they buried this idea many years ago. There is space in any camera. They found simple excuse.
02-13-2015, 01:14 PM   #29
Site Supporter
boriscleto's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Liverpool, NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 12,874
QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
What's the difference to Pentax that the coupler was the only way?
As far as I can tell Nikon DSLRs that have the AI coupler use it as a way to fool the camera into thinking it has lens with a chip in it mounted. When you mount an AI lens to a DSLR with the coupler you have to manually enter the focal length and min/max aperture into the camera. Otherwise the meter won't know how to handle it. Nikon never put electrical contacts on the F-mount until the AF era.

When the *ist D first came out it didn't have any way to use a non-A lens, just like any other 'crippled' KAF2 mount camera. Pentax added stop down metering as a work around. Much less engineering needed than the Nikon solution.
02-13-2015, 01:38 PM - 1 Like   #30
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: GMT +10
Photos: Albums
Posts: 10,851
Forgive my ignorance, but when I mount a Pentax (or any other) manual lens on my NEX-F3 via a simple dumb PK-NEX adapter, as I adjust the aperture, the camera just continuously meters the scene according to the light the lens lets in. I then simply manually focus and shoot.

Would a stop-down coupler enable Pentax lenses without the A setting to behave the same way on a Pentax DSLR (ie no need to use the green button to meter the scene with K or M series lenses, just adjust aperture on the lens, focus and then shoot)?
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
aperture, apertures, button, camera, coupler, glass, lens, lenses, lever, names, nb, niche, pentax, pentax news, pentax rumors, population, post, ricoh, space, stop, user, zx-5n
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What will the FF be like? Na Horuk Pentax Full Frame 52 02-06-2015 09:42 AM
Odd behaviour from Super A - aperture doesn't stop down Jonathan Mac Pentax Film SLR Discussion 15 10-21-2014 11:07 PM
Stop with the FF sensors will be the same price nonsense. normhead Pentax Full Frame 196 01-11-2014 12:21 AM
stop down coupler and t mount converter not meshing blackest Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 0 07-08-2013 07:22 PM
if there will be a FF pentax - will pentax enforce a reduced image from DA40 ? deejjjaaaa Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 7 08-20-2008 05:19 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:54 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top