Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-16-2015, 01:11 AM   #61
Pentaxian




Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: yesterday
Posts: 758
QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
This has been done already.
There was a thread here around 2010. Perhaps someone remembers it?

Is this the one you're thinking of?

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/124627-k-5-...-m-lenses.html

02-16-2015, 01:21 AM   #62
Site Supporter
p38arover's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Western Sydney, Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,012
QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
What surprises me is that the answer was: "I think it is important". Because there's never been a DSLR with an aperture coupler since the *ist D.
Even more reason to keep my *ist D - it also works with my AF080C TTL ring flash and AF400FTZ TTL flash.
02-16-2015, 01:24 AM   #63
Pentaxian
Asahiflex's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Netherlands
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,753
QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
Even more reason to keep my *ist D - it also works with my AF080C TTL ring flash and AF400FTZ TTL flash.
This reminds me to find a DS again because I also have that TTL ring flash
02-16-2015, 02:24 AM   #64
Junior Member




Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Hämeenlinna, Finland
Posts: 43
QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote

..
So it worries me not only that same question comes over again, but what worries me truly is the lack of any sense of reality in those request, especially after so many years. And also, it is the matter of delicate respect towards the manufacturer. It's like children nagging over and over again about the think they know they are not going to get. Why? Perhaps Pentax has better ideas than that? I, for sure, welcome lack of aperture coupler if it meant coming of the new line of DA Limited lenses! But with that damn coupler, more people would be using old glass not designed for digital, and there would be less incentive to deliver new, better lenses. Pentax needed smaller lenses, old lenses were not matching the need Pentax wanted to achieve and niche to conquer, and coupler would throw Pentax further back in time. To me, it's the end of story.
..
"But with that damn coupler, more people would be using old glass.."

With that logic it would be recommendable for Pentax to cut off all compatibility of older lenses in digital cameras. First, away with the damned "green button", right?

Backward compatibility with all K-mount lenses has been one of the wisest decisions by Pentax during digital age. Along with in-body SR.

The speak about "crippled K-mount", without aperture coupler is quite legitimate and will not vanish.

02-16-2015, 03:02 AM   #65
Veteran Member
blende8's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Bremen, Germany
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,484
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by .a.t. Quote
Yes, right, that was it.
Thanks!
02-16-2015, 03:22 AM   #66
Junior Member




Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: SG
Posts: 27
Ok, after reading 5 pages of opinions,

Here are what I get,

1. People want aperture level coupler, because they want "fast action shootig with their K M series lens", without need use of green button.


My thought is that How fast can you go with a manual focus lens, and How fast you can get accurate focus with manual focus lens, a button click not making any addition to already slow pace of manual focus lens.

Since dslr viewfinder are not good for fast accurate focusing, even u are fast at manual focus, today 24MP sensor will show up any little misfocus.

Forget fast action with manual lens. That is why they made dfa 70-200.

2. Ok, if you are at god speed and eye accuracy with K M lens, are they really the best among K M A F FA DFA lines.

Just for sake of K series and M series, the best K M lens are already replaced by A lens in film age, which no need green button already.

So get those A * lens instead of the cheaper K M version, they are best pentax manual focus lens.

K50 f1.2 replaced by A 50 f1.2, M* 300 f4 replaced by A300 f4 and A*300 f2.8 and so on.

So, for those asking for aperture coupler,

Naming a K series or M series lens that worth the effort.


3. Of course, someone would say, "all my k m lens are best pentax lens, like M 200mm f4, i like the render, and i care that that 1 sec green button click after focusing for 1min, because i am perfectionist."


Ok, same as I do, I use k m series all the way to the best with matte focus screen, and tired of inaccurate green button meter,

So my solution is shoot all manual mode, forget those metering process, if you already a hardcore pentax user,

You should learn shooting with manual aperture, manual shutter, iso fixed like those no-battery k1000 or mx slrs.

People old days shoot all day long without meter, and still get perfect photo with manual focus sunny 16 rules.

So shoot all manual and remember ev number of commom lighting condition. You dont have to green button if you confident your setting is all right.

4. ok, so relax, K M series are good memory of past, even the slightly more modern film lens, like F lens, FA lens, may not good enough on the coming Full Frame pentax DSLR, because of purple fringes, maybe except FA* lineups

Manual lens are good for sunny afternoon walk, but they are too old to try to do things today's young people doing,

let them enjoy retirement, let the young carry it on. use the green button, it is just like wheel chairs that help the elderly move around, or don't use it and just walk if you can manage move around without.

Last edited by sunnycamera; 02-16-2015 at 03:58 AM.
02-16-2015, 04:02 AM   #67
Junior Member




Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Hämeenlinna, Finland
Posts: 43
QuoteOriginally posted by sunnycamera Quote
..
Naming a K series or M series lens that worth the effort.
..
Not necessary here. Just read the appropriate lens reviews in the forum. Browse the "K" and "M" club etc pictures too. Not worth the effort? Who can say that? How do you value it?

Another thing, you can get 3-5 legacy lenses at roughly the same price and quality than 1 of the newer offers. Not to mention often better metal construction. I'm not saying that there are not high quality high end (and expensive) new lenses too.

Funny how there are many people who think to know better what other people need than themselves.
02-16-2015, 07:26 AM   #68
Pentaxian
thibs's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Belgium
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,161
QuoteOriginally posted by drawbar Quote
Not necessary here. Just read the appropriate lens reviews in the forum. Browse the "K" and "M" club etc pictures too. Not worth the effort? Who can say that? How do you value it?

Another thing, you can get 3-5 legacy lenses at roughly the same price and quality than 1 of the newer offers. Not to mention often better metal construction. I'm not saying that there are not high quality high end (and expensive) new lenses too.

Funny how there are many people who think to know better what other people need than themselves.
Worth the effort?
K30/2.8
K35/3.5
K55/1.8
...
Just to name a few...

02-16-2015, 07:59 AM   #69
Veteran Member
blende8's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Bremen, Germany
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,484
Original Poster
I have read somewhere that the majority of Sony A7 cameras is NOT used with new Sony lenses, at least not exclusively.
Many bought theses cameras to use their old lenses on it.
Sony actually was quite surprised to learn this.

It may be similar with the new Pentax FF.
Pentax may not like it, but it may be that a majority of buyers will use old lenses on it, not exclusively, but often.
02-16-2015, 08:11 AM   #70
Senior Member




Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: walking in the air
Posts: 227
IMHO, if Ricoh increases compatibility of Pentax DSLR bodies with M and K lenses, they would sell more bodies and the selling of the new lenses would be the same.
02-16-2015, 08:38 AM   #71
Marketplace Reseller
dcshooter's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Washington DC
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,118
I'll take it a step further: They are all worth the effort. Among the Pentax K and M manual lenses, there is not a single bad lens, and even the merely mediocre lenses (which include only some of the zooms, and none of the primes) will have their functionality improved by a manual aperture linkage, thus making themeffectively better lenses.

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Worth the effort?
K30/2.8
K35/3.5
K55/1.8
...
Just to name a few...
02-16-2015, 08:42 AM   #72
Pentaxian




Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Hoek van Holland
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,245
QuoteOriginally posted by sunnycamera Quote
Ok, after reading 5 pages of opinions,

Here are what I get,

1. People want aperture level coupler, because they want "fast action shootig with their K M series lens", without need use of green button.

My thought is that How fast can you go with a manual focus lens, and How fast you can get accurate focus with manual focus lens, a button click not making any addition to already slow pace of manual focus lens.

Since dslr viewfinder are not good for fast accurate focusing, even u are fast at manual focus, today 24MP sensor will show up any little misfocus.

Forget fast action with manual lens. That is why they made dfa 70-200.

2. Ok, if you are at god speed and eye accuracy with K M lens, are they really the best among K M A F FA DFA lines.

Just for sake of K series and M series, the best K M lens are already replaced by A lens in film age, which no need green button already.

So get those A * lens instead of the cheaper K M version, they are best pentax manual focus lens.

K50 f1.2 replaced by A 50 f1.2, M* 300 f4 replaced by A300 f4 and A*300 f2.8 and so on.

So, for those asking for aperture coupler,

Naming a K series or M series lens that worth the effort.


3. Of course, someone would say, "all my k m lens are best pentax lens, like M 200mm f4, i like the render, and i care that that 1 sec green button click after focusing for 1min, because i am perfectionist."


Ok, same as I do, I use k m series all the way to the best with matte focus screen, and tired of inaccurate green button meter,

So my solution is shoot all manual mode, forget those metering process, if you already a hardcore pentax user,

You should learn shooting with manual aperture, manual shutter, iso fixed like those no-battery k1000 or mx slrs.

People old days shoot all day long without meter, and still get perfect photo with manual focus sunny 16 rules.

So shoot all manual and remember ev number of commom lighting condition. You dont have to green button if you confident your setting is all right.

4. ok, so relax, K M series are good memory of past, even the slightly more modern film lens, like F lens, FA lens, may not good enough on the coming Full Frame pentax DSLR, because of purple fringes, maybe except FA* lineups

Manual lens are good for sunny afternoon walk, but they are too old to try to do things today's young people doing,

let them enjoy retirement, let the young carry it on. use the green button, it is just like wheel chairs that help the elderly move around, or don't use it and just walk if you can manage move around without.

actually, you can focus pretty quick, even with sport if you know what you are doing. I used to do sports with manual focus lenses. It does take practice, but you can track subjects manually
02-16-2015, 08:43 AM   #73
Marketplace Reseller
dcshooter's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Washington DC
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,118
The question is whether the Ricoh business analysts forecast whether the increased sales of bodies (a low margin item) outweigh the projected decreased sales in lenses (high margin) and added engineering/production costs. Of course, there is the harder to quantify coattails effect: if they sell more bodies at the high end because of this added feature, does it increase brand visibility and goodwill to the point that it increases sales of lower-end models and intro lenses (where the real profit is)?

This seems to be Nikon's reason for keeping a mechanical coupling in their high end bodies - they want people to see as many pros and serious photographers using their gear as possible, so they can sell more of their uncoupled low and mid-range bodies to people who haven't invested in a lens collection yet and will more likely be buying new when they do.

QuoteOriginally posted by edri Quote
IMHO, if Ricoh increases compatibility of Pentax DSLR bodies with M and K lenses, they would sell more bodies and the selling of the new lenses would be the same.
02-16-2015, 08:43 AM   #74
Site Supporter
boriscleto's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Liverpool, NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 12,302
QuoteOriginally posted by sunnycamera Quote
Ok, after reading 5 pages of opinions,

Here are what I get,

1. People want aperture level coupler, because they want "fast action shootig with their K M series lens", without need use of green button.


My thought is that How fast can you go with a manual focus lens, and How fast you can get accurate focus with manual focus lens, a button click not making any addition to already slow pace of manual focus lens.

Since dslr viewfinder are not good for fast accurate focusing, even u are fast at manual focus, today 24MP sensor will show up any little misfocus.

Forget fast action with manual lens. That is why they made dfa 70-200.
You can shoot action with a manual lens, the same way it was done for decades before Minolta stole phase detect autofocus from Honeywell. Hyperfocal focusing and Sunny 16...no need for the green button at all.
02-16-2015, 09:13 AM   #75
Site Supporter
geomez's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Preskit Arizona
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,561
QuoteOriginally posted by sunnycamera Quote
Ok, after reading 5 pages of opinions, Here are what I get, ...

By this logic, A series replaced K and M series, F replaced A, FA replaced F, and so on. So any lens that has been that has been replaced by a lens with AF, more modern engineering and coatings is not worth the effort...
If so than why has Pentax continued to market 40 years of lens compatibility with their DSLRs? To continue the support and the marketing claim for a decade, Pentax and it's users must think it is worth the effort to some extent.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
aperture, apertures, button, camera, coupler, glass, lens, lenses, lever, names, nb, niche, pentax, pentax news, pentax rumors, population, post, ricoh, space, stop, user, zx-5n
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What will the FF be like? Na Horuk Pentax Full Frame 52 02-06-2015 09:42 AM
Odd behaviour from Super A - aperture doesn't stop down Jonathan Mac Pentax Film SLR Discussion 15 10-21-2014 11:07 PM
Stop with the FF sensors will be the same price nonsense. normhead Pentax Full Frame 196 01-11-2014 12:21 AM
stop down coupler and t mount converter not meshing blackest Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 0 07-08-2013 07:22 PM
if there will be a FF pentax - will pentax enforce a reduced image from DA40 ? deejjjaaaa Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 7 08-20-2008 05:19 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:12 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top