Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-16-2015, 09:34 AM   #76
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sunnycamera Quote
My thought is that How fast can you go with a manual focus lens, and How fast you can get accurate focus with manual focus lens, a button click not making any addition to already slow pace of manual focus lens.
A valid opinion, except I'm not one who wishes for more speed. What I'd like is better accuracy and losing what appears to be an unnecessary step in the photographic process. My NEX-6, using a dumb adapter, will provide realtime exposure with histogram in changing light at all apertures and Auto-ISO at my command without having to hit special buttons. This is the functionality I'd like to have with a Pentax camera. [edit] Let me also add that the mirrorless will provide automatic flash metering which current Pentax cameras do not.

I understand these lenses are several generations behind the most current and modern lenses available now, but they're so much fun to use, that I don't feel a need to get newer lenses. I'm just a hobbyist, and probably not a very good one... but I don't care so much about the aperture coupler, since in my opinion and in practice, one is not necessary to gain the functions already available in mirrorless cameras.

Last edited by jcdoss; 02-16-2015 at 09:44 AM.
02-16-2015, 10:22 AM   #77
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
A valid opinion, except I'm not one who wishes for more speed. What I'd like is better accuracy and losing what appears to be an unnecessary step in the photographic process. My NEX-6, using a dumb adapter, will provide realtime exposure with histogram in changing light at all apertures and Auto-ISO at my command without having to hit special buttons. This is the functionality I'd like to have with a Pentax camera. [edit] Let me also add that the mirrorless will provide automatic flash metering which current Pentax cameras do not.

I understand these lenses are several generations behind the most current and modern lenses available now, but they're so much fun to use, that I don't feel a need to get newer lenses. I'm just a hobbyist, and probably not a very good one... but I don't care so much about the aperture coupler, since in my opinion and in practice, one is not necessary to gain the functions already available in mirrorless cameras.
I don't think it's that simple. The reason it works for your mirrorless camera is because it's essentially constantly stuck in live view. Its one of the benefits of mirrorless technology that you can see what your exposure is in real time.
02-16-2015, 10:32 AM   #78
Site Supporter

Even if it worked only in live view, that'd be enough for me.
02-16-2015, 10:42 AM   #79
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Perhaps they should drop the screw drive to make room for the aperture coupler?

02-16-2015, 10:55 AM   #80
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mohb Quote
So no more Holy Trinity...nice.
02-16-2015, 11:02 AM - 1 Like   #81
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mohb Quote
deathwish you have.
02-16-2015, 01:59 PM   #82
Pentaxian

Realistically what is in it for Ricoh? Why spend the R&D and manufacturing time and money on this? Will it sell more cameras? No - how many people don't by Pentax because of lack of the coupler. Will it sell more lenses for Ricoh? Once again, no. It may even slow sales of new lenses Ricoh makes their money selling cameras and lenses and they aren't the ones selling old K and M series lenses.

Would you rather Ricoh spend time and money on retro fitting this feature into their designs (and firmware) or spend it on improving AF, video SR, mirrorless, pixel shifting or whatever?
02-16-2015, 02:08 PM   #83
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Realistically what is in it for Ricoh? Why spend the R&D and manufacturing time and money on this? Will it sell more cameras? No - how many people don't by Pentax because of lack of the coupler. Will it sell more lenses for Ricoh? Once again, no. It may even slow sales of new lenses Ricoh makes their money selling cameras and lenses and they aren't the ones selling old K and M series lenses.

Would you rather Ricoh spend time and money on retro fitting this feature into their designs (and firmware) or spend it on improving AF, video SR, mirrorless, pixel shifting or whatever?
Vinegar.... I hear it's going to be the latest trend in the photography market place....

02-17-2015, 03:38 PM   #84
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
... Will it sell more cameras? No ...
You have no way of knowing this. I would happily spend an extra $250 on the FF camera if it had the coupler. How can you know that the addition of an extra feature would not sway a single person on the camera, especially given just how much vintage K-mount glass there is out there?

I understand the orthodox argument that means they will in all certainly not include the coupler, but they would make more money from me if they included it.
02-17-2015, 03:57 PM   #85
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by krazykat Quote
You have no way of knowing this. I would happily spend an extra $250 on the FF camera if it had the coupler. How can you know that the addition of an extra feature would not sway a single person on the camera, especially given just how much vintage K-mount glass there is out there?

I understand the orthodox argument that means they will in all certainly not include the coupler, but they would make more money from me if they included it.
Not me.....
02-17-2015, 06:08 PM   #86
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Not me.....
Yes, nor for the vast majority of users I suspect, but this doesn't prove Not a Number's assertion.
02-17-2015, 06:28 PM   #87
mee
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by krazykat Quote

I'm surprised (not really) that this thread is still active.

In any case, you would happily spend an extra $250 on the FF if it had this coupler. But I, and I suspect many others not using glass from the stone age, would not. $250 more for a feature I'll never use? No thanks! I suspect the minority want this part. A very niche group.
02-17-2015, 07:19 PM   #88
Site Supporter

What about a pool ?
02-17-2015, 07:27 PM   #89
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
I'm surprised (not really) that this thread is still active.

In any case, you would happily spend an extra $250 on the FF if it had this coupler. But I, and I suspect many others not using glass from the stone age, would not. $250 more for a feature I'll never use? No thanks! I suspect the minority want this part. A very niche group.
Yes, I suspect you feel the same as the vast majority of users, however I was simply attempting to point out that it would be a valuable feature to some (perhaps very few) users.

I was definitely not suggesting that Pentax should in reality include it and charge $250 extra (although I would buy it )
02-17-2015, 11:11 PM   #90
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I believe they could easily improve the handling of manual lenses without any change in the hardware.

1. Add a database of manual lenses in the camera so you select which lens you are using instead of only selecting focal length, and the user can add compensation for the in-linearity of the metering system to each aperture on each lens.

2. If using Av-mode the camera do a stop down metering before the image is captured, and compares it to open aperture metering to know how much the lens has been stopped down to be able to set correct shutter speed.