Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 23 Likes Search this Thread
02-16-2015, 01:21 AM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
What surprises me is that the answer was: "I think it is important". Because there's never been a DSLR with an aperture coupler since the *ist D.
Even more reason to keep my *ist D - it also works with my AF080C TTL ring flash and AF400FTZ TTL flash.

02-16-2015, 01:24 AM   #62
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
Even more reason to keep my *ist D - it also works with my AF080C TTL ring flash and AF400FTZ TTL flash.
This reminds me to find a DS again because I also have that TTL ring flash
02-16-2015, 02:24 AM   #63
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote

So it worries me not only that same question comes over again, but what worries me truly is the lack of any sense of reality in those request, especially after so many years. And also, it is the matter of delicate respect towards the manufacturer. It's like children nagging over and over again about the think they know they are not going to get. Why? Perhaps Pentax has better ideas than that? I, for sure, welcome lack of aperture coupler if it meant coming of the new line of DA Limited lenses! But with that damn coupler, more people would be using old glass not designed for digital, and there would be less incentive to deliver new, better lenses. Pentax needed smaller lenses, old lenses were not matching the need Pentax wanted to achieve and niche to conquer, and coupler would throw Pentax further back in time. To me, it's the end of story.
"But with that damn coupler, more people would be using old glass.."

With that logic it would be recommendable for Pentax to cut off all compatibility of older lenses in digital cameras. First, away with the damned "green button", right?

Backward compatibility with all K-mount lenses has been one of the wisest decisions by Pentax during digital age. Along with in-body SR.

The speak about "crippled K-mount", without aperture coupler is quite legitimate and will not vanish.
02-16-2015, 03:02 AM   #64
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by .a.t. Quote
Yes, right, that was it.
Thanks!

02-16-2015, 03:22 AM   #65

Ok, after reading 5 pages of opinions,

Here are what I get,

1. People want aperture level coupler, because they want "fast action shootig with their K M series lens", without need use of green button.

My thought is that How fast can you go with a manual focus lens, and How fast you can get accurate focus with manual focus lens, a button click not making any addition to already slow pace of manual focus lens.

Since dslr viewfinder are not good for fast accurate focusing, even u are fast at manual focus, today 24MP sensor will show up any little misfocus.

Forget fast action with manual lens. That is why they made dfa 70-200.

2. Ok, if you are at god speed and eye accuracy with K M lens, are they really the best among K M A F FA DFA lines.

Just for sake of K series and M series, the best K M lens are already replaced by A lens in film age, which no need green button already.

So get those A * lens instead of the cheaper K M version, they are best pentax manual focus lens.

K50 f1.2 replaced by A 50 f1.2, M* 300 f4 replaced by A300 f4 and A*300 f2.8 and so on.

So, for those asking for aperture coupler,

Naming a K series or M series lens that worth the effort.

3. Of course, someone would say, "all my k m lens are best pentax lens, like M 200mm f4, i like the render, and i care that that 1 sec green button click after focusing for 1min, because i am perfectionist."

Ok, same as I do, I use k m series all the way to the best with matte focus screen, and tired of inaccurate green button meter,

So my solution is shoot all manual mode, forget those metering process, if you already a hardcore pentax user,

You should learn shooting with manual aperture, manual shutter, iso fixed like those no-battery k1000 or mx slrs.

People old days shoot all day long without meter, and still get perfect photo with manual focus sunny 16 rules.

So shoot all manual and remember ev number of commom lighting condition. You dont have to green button if you confident your setting is all right.

4. ok, so relax, K M series are good memory of past, even the slightly more modern film lens, like F lens, FA lens, may not good enough on the coming Full Frame pentax DSLR, because of purple fringes, maybe except FA* lineups

Manual lens are good for sunny afternoon walk, but they are too old to try to do things today's young people doing,

let them enjoy retirement, let the young carry it on. use the green button, it is just like wheel chairs that help the elderly move around, or don't use it and just walk if you can manage move around without.

Last edited by sunnycamera; 02-16-2015 at 03:58 AM.
02-16-2015, 04:02 AM   #66
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sunnycamera Quote
Not necessary here. Just read the appropriate lens reviews in the forum. Browse the "K" and "M" club etc pictures too. Not worth the effort? Who can say that? How do you value it?

Another thing, you can get 3-5 legacy lenses at roughly the same price and quality than 1 of the newer offers. Not to mention often better metal construction. I'm not saying that there are not high quality high end (and expensive) new lenses too.

Funny how there are many people who think to know better what other people need than themselves.
02-16-2015, 07:26 AM   #67
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by drawbar Quote
Not necessary here. Just read the appropriate lens reviews in the forum. Browse the "K" and "M" club etc pictures too. Not worth the effort? Who can say that? How do you value it?

Another thing, you can get 3-5 legacy lenses at roughly the same price and quality than 1 of the newer offers. Not to mention often better metal construction. I'm not saying that there are not high quality high end (and expensive) new lenses too.

Funny how there are many people who think to know better what other people need than themselves.
Worth the effort?
K30/2.8
K35/3.5
K55/1.8
Just to name a few...

02-16-2015, 07:59 AM   #68
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have read somewhere that the majority of Sony A7 cameras is NOT used with new Sony lenses, at least not exclusively.
Many bought theses cameras to use their old lenses on it.
Sony actually was quite surprised to learn this.

It may be similar with the new Pentax FF.
Pentax may not like it, but it may be that a majority of buyers will use old lenses on it, not exclusively, but often.
02-16-2015, 08:11 AM   #69
Veteran Member

IMHO, if Ricoh increases compatibility of Pentax DSLR bodies with M and K lenses, they would sell more bodies and the selling of the new lenses would be the same.
02-16-2015, 08:42 AM   #70
Pentaxian

Here are what I get,

1. People want aperture level coupler, because they want "fast action shootig with their K M series lens", without need use of green button.

My thought is that How fast can you go with a manual focus lens, and How fast you can get accurate focus with manual focus lens, a button click not making any addition to already slow pace of manual focus lens.

Since dslr viewfinder are not good for fast accurate focusing, even u are fast at manual focus, today 24MP sensor will show up any little misfocus.

2. Ok, if you are at god speed and eye accuracy with K M lens, are they really the best among K M A F FA DFA lines.

Just for sake of K series and M series, the best K M lens are already replaced by A lens in film age, which no need green button already.

So get those A * lens instead of the cheaper K M version, they are best pentax manual focus lens.

K50 f1.2 replaced by A 50 f1.2, M* 300 f4 replaced by A300 f4 and A*300 f2.8 and so on.

So, for those asking for aperture coupler,

3. Of course, someone would say, "all my k m lens are best pentax lens, like M 200mm f4, i like the render, and i care that that 1 sec green button click after focusing for 1min, because i am perfectionist."

Ok, same as I do, I use k m series all the way to the best with matte focus screen, and tired of inaccurate green button meter,

So my solution is shoot all manual mode, forget those metering process, if you already a hardcore pentax user,

You should learn shooting with manual aperture, manual shutter, iso fixed like those no-battery k1000 or mx slrs.

People old days shoot all day long without meter, and still get perfect photo with manual focus sunny 16 rules.

So shoot all manual and remember ev number of commom lighting condition. You dont have to green button if you confident your setting is all right.

4. ok, so relax, K M series are good memory of past, even the slightly more modern film lens, like F lens, FA lens, may not good enough on the coming Full Frame pentax DSLR, because of purple fringes, maybe except FA* lineups

Manual lens are good for sunny afternoon walk, but they are too old to try to do things today's young people doing,

let them enjoy retirement, let the young carry it on. use the green button, it is just like wheel chairs that help the elderly move around, or don't use it and just walk if you can manage move around without.

actually, you can focus pretty quick, even with sport if you know what you are doing. I used to do sports with manual focus lenses. It does take practice, but you can track subjects manually
02-16-2015, 08:43 AM   #71
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Here are what I get,

You can shoot action with a manual lens, the same way it was done for decades before Minolta stole phase detect autofocus from Honeywell. Hyperfocal focusing and Sunny 16...no need for the green button at all.
02-16-2015, 09:13 AM   #72
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ok, after reading 5 pages of opinions, Here are what I get, ...

By this logic, A series replaced K and M series, F replaced A, FA replaced F, and so on. So any lens that has been that has been replaced by a lens with AF, more modern engineering and coatings is not worth the effort...
If so than why has Pentax continued to market 40 years of lens compatibility with their DSLRs? To continue the support and the marketing claim for a decade, Pentax and it's users must think it is worth the effort to some extent.
02-16-2015, 09:34 AM   #73
Pentaxian

A valid opinion, except I'm not one who wishes for more speed. What I'd like is better accuracy and losing what appears to be an unnecessary step in the photographic process. My NEX-6, using a dumb adapter, will provide realtime exposure with histogram in changing light at all apertures and Auto-ISO at my command without having to hit special buttons. This is the functionality I'd like to have with a Pentax camera. [edit] Let me also add that the mirrorless will provide automatic flash metering which current Pentax cameras do not.

I understand these lenses are several generations behind the most current and modern lenses available now, but they're so much fun to use, that I don't feel a need to get newer lenses. I'm just a hobbyist, and probably not a very good one... but I don't care so much about the aperture coupler, since in my opinion and in practice, one is not necessary to gain the functions already available in mirrorless cameras.

Last edited by jcdoss; 02-16-2015 at 09:44 AM.
02-16-2015, 10:22 AM   #74
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
A valid opinion, except I'm not one who wishes for more speed. What I'd like is better accuracy and losing what appears to be an unnecessary step in the photographic process. My NEX-6, using a dumb adapter, will provide realtime exposure with histogram in changing light at all apertures and Auto-ISO at my command without having to hit special buttons. This is the functionality I'd like to have with a Pentax camera. [edit] Let me also add that the mirrorless will provide automatic flash metering which current Pentax cameras do not.

I understand these lenses are several generations behind the most current and modern lenses available now, but they're so much fun to use, that I don't feel a need to get newer lenses. I'm just a hobbyist, and probably not a very good one... but I don't care so much about the aperture coupler, since in my opinion and in practice, one is not necessary to gain the functions already available in mirrorless cameras.
I don't think it's that simple. The reason it works for your mirrorless camera is because it's essentially constantly stuck in live view. Its one of the benefits of mirrorless technology that you can see what your exposure is in real time.
02-16-2015, 10:32 AM   #75
Pentaxian

Even if it worked only in live view, that'd be enough for me.