Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-16-2015, 10:42 AM   #76
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Perhaps they should drop the screw drive to make room for the aperture coupler?

02-16-2015, 10:55 AM   #77
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mohb Quote
So no more Holy Trinity...nice.
02-16-2015, 11:02 AM - 1 Like   #78
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mohb Quote
deathwish you have.
02-16-2015, 01:59 PM   #79

Realistically what is in it for Ricoh? Why spend the R&D and manufacturing time and money on this? Will it sell more cameras? No - how many people don't by Pentax because of lack of the coupler. Will it sell more lenses for Ricoh? Once again, no. It may even slow sales of new lenses Ricoh makes their money selling cameras and lenses and they aren't the ones selling old K and M series lenses.

Would you rather Ricoh spend time and money on retro fitting this feature into their designs (and firmware) or spend it on improving AF, video SR, mirrorless, pixel shifting or whatever?

02-16-2015, 02:08 PM   #80
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Realistically what is in it for Ricoh? Why spend the R&D and manufacturing time and money on this? Will it sell more cameras? No - how many people don't by Pentax because of lack of the coupler. Will it sell more lenses for Ricoh? Once again, no. It may even slow sales of new lenses Ricoh makes their money selling cameras and lenses and they aren't the ones selling old K and M series lenses.

Would you rather Ricoh spend time and money on retro fitting this feature into their designs (and firmware) or spend it on improving AF, video SR, mirrorless, pixel shifting or whatever?
Vinegar.... I hear it's going to be the latest trend in the photography market place....
02-17-2015, 03:38 PM   #81
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
... Will it sell more cameras? No ...
You have no way of knowing this. I would happily spend an extra $250 on the FF camera if it had the coupler. How can you know that the addition of an extra feature would not sway a single person on the camera, especially given just how much vintage K-mount glass there is out there?

I understand the orthodox argument that means they will in all certainly not include the coupler, but they would make more money from me if they included it.
02-17-2015, 03:57 PM   #82
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by krazykat Quote
You have no way of knowing this. I would happily spend an extra $250 on the FF camera if it had the coupler. How can you know that the addition of an extra feature would not sway a single person on the camera, especially given just how much vintage K-mount glass there is out there?

I understand the orthodox argument that means they will in all certainly not include the coupler, but they would make more money from me if they included it.
Not me.....

02-17-2015, 06:08 PM   #83
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Not me.....
Yes, nor for the vast majority of users I suspect, but this doesn't prove Not a Number's assertion.
02-17-2015, 06:28 PM   #84
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by krazykat Quote

I'm surprised (not really) that this thread is still active.

In any case, you would happily spend an extra $250 on the FF if it had this coupler. But I, and I suspect many others not using glass from the stone age, would not. $250 more for a feature I'll never use? No thanks! I suspect the minority want this part. A very niche group.
02-17-2015, 07:19 PM   #85
Pentaxian

What about a pool ?
02-17-2015, 07:27 PM   #86
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
I'm surprised (not really) that this thread is still active.

In any case, you would happily spend an extra $250 on the FF if it had this coupler. But I, and I suspect many others not using glass from the stone age, would not. $250 more for a feature I'll never use? No thanks! I suspect the minority want this part. A very niche group.
Yes, I suspect you feel the same as the vast majority of users, however I was simply attempting to point out that it would be a valuable feature to some (perhaps very few) users.

I was definitely not suggesting that Pentax should in reality include it and charge $250 extra (although I would buy it )
02-17-2015, 11:11 PM   #87
Pentaxian

I believe they could easily improve the handling of manual lenses without any change in the hardware.

1. Add a database of manual lenses in the camera so you select which lens you are using instead of only selecting focal length, and the user can add compensation for the in-linearity of the metering system to each aperture on each lens.

2. If using Av-mode the camera do a stop down metering before the image is captured, and compares it to open aperture metering to know how much the lens has been stopped down to be able to set correct shutter speed.
02-18-2015, 12:02 AM   #88
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
I'm surprised (not really) that this thread is still active... A very niche group.
All Pentax users are by definition ... a very niche group.

---------- Post added 02-18-2015 at 09:15 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
I believe they could easily improve the handling of manual lenses without any change in the hardware.

1. Add a database of manual lenses in the camera so you select which lens you are using instead of only selecting focal length, and the user can add compensation for the in-linearity of the metering system to each aperture on each lens.

Very good idea, but I would prefer that I might enter the names of the lenses. I use third-party K lenses, and M42 lenses besides the Pentax M, K lenses as well. It would be helpful if the user can enter names for a number of lenses, say at least 20

Also, would be useful the opportunity to "trap focus" for lenses that do not realize a short-circuit to the mount of the camera.
02-18-2015, 12:44 AM   #89
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
This would be a work-around.
Either Pentax stores the exposure characteristics of every Pentax lens in a list, or it allows users to create such a characteristic on their own.
For this you have to measure the exposure for every aperture set on the lens.

The main reason why the behaviour is not linear is probably that the focussing screens transmission is not linear, but depends on the lens opening.
02-18-2015, 12:52 AM - 1 Like   #90
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
This would be a work-around.
Either Pentax stores the exposure characteristics of every Pentax lens in a list, or it allows users to create such a characteristic on their own.
For this you have to measure the exposure for every aperture set on the lens.

The main reason why the behaviour is not linear is probably that the focussing screens transmission is not linear, but depends on the lens opening.
Don't forget the aperture lever functioning is NOT linear with K/M lenses.
It became linear with A and further lenses.