Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-16-2015, 01:23 PM - 1 Like   #31
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Tesla Quote
Wow! A lot of exciting tech! Does anyone know how you get higher resolution images without increasing pixels? I don't understand how that is possible.
Better color depth, is what I'm guessing. Foveon sensors record differently from Bayer sensors and end up with better color depth and resolution even with equal megapixels.

02-16-2015, 04:20 PM   #32
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
Fortunately, I can understand spoken Japanese much better than I can read it. Hereís a summary of Kitazawa-sanís answers to some of the main points and I understand it. The first five minutes or so are just introduction.

Clarity Enhancement
- Creates a clearer image from one captured image. It sounds like two copies of the image are processed in different ways and the results blended back into one image (not sure about that)
- The difference can be seen in the detail in the clouds and the buildings in the sample picture
- There is no real downside to this, except for the penalty in terms of processing time and the fact that it might not be to some usersí tastes

High Resolution using SR mechanism
- Creates a Foveon-like image from four captures by moving the sensor around by a few microns
- The resulting image uses four times the image data, but outputs an image with the same number of pixels as the sensor with better clarity
- It sounds like it will not be very usable for handheld photography or moving subjects
- It will be introduced on upcoming models, and Kitazawa hopes in time for the full frame camera

The future of the GR
- The GR is a camera that hasnít had major changes, instead getting incremental improvements in response to user feedback
- The four key concepts that define the GR are optical quality, portability, speed, handling
- The three main user requests are for a zoom GR, different focal lengths (21mm, 35mm, 50mm) and a full frame sensor
- Kitazawa does not give any hint about which route they will take, but mentions that they want to keep it compact

The full frame camera
- The reason why they decided to make a full frame was requests from users that wanted a way to step up from APS-C but couldnít afford the jump to 645
- They had a lot of discussions in the company about whether to make it mirrorless or not, but in the end they decided they couldnít ask their customers to move to a new mount
- There is a whole almost comical exchange where Tanaka tries to put words into his mouth about the specs and features, but he says he canít confirm anything. Some of the speculations that Tanaka makes are: the height of the camera and big prism are hiding some special feature; there must be SR because of the square on the front and because Kitazawa had said he hopes to include the new resolution function; there must be a screw drive motor because the FA31 is mounted; there is something special about the oversized monitor, such as it being completely detachable. Kitazawa laughs all of this off basically. But you have to ask yourself why Ricoh would allow this discussion to take place on their stage if it was too misleading.
- The price wonít be much different from competitorsí models of the same grade
- Sensor resolution will be in proportion to the other specs of the camera, maintaining a balance.

FF lenses
- They are currently testing DA lenses to see how to deal with the crop
- The lenses on the roadmap may not all come this year - he emphasises ďor laterĒ
- There are also prime lenses in the works that are not shown on the roadmap
- Basically FA lenses will work, but they may not all work well with the SR

Please feel free to correct me if you can see I've got any of this wrong.
Thanks for your detailed version!
02-16-2015, 10:36 PM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dr Orloff Quote

This one has me puzzled though:

"Big vinegar full size of not different."
Decades ago my sister spent her junior year in Sapporo. During that time, to earn some spending cash she taught English to Japanese business men. In an answer to one of her quizzes she got this answer "Boston is full of small fried turkeys" I feel fairly certain that the big vinegar mentioned above is seasoning for those turkeys.

NaCl( and a good time was had by all)H2O
02-18-2015, 02:45 AM   #34

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
The point of this video is to give advice to photographers and showcase Pentax features and K-mount lenses. The camera shown is the GXR with the A16 zoom module, hood and EVF. It is only shown as the subject of two sample photographs. He says, "You might recognise this camera. It's out of production now but . . ." and then he shows how the position of the light source affects the images.
Unfortunately, you are right. I'm not so familiar with Ricoh cameras except (latest) GR.

02-20-2015, 08:29 PM - 1 Like   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tesla Quote
Does anyone know how you get higher resolution images without increasing pixels? I don't understand how that is possible.
The vast majority of sensors use a Bayer-filter array that only records one of Red, Green, or Blue at one particular sensel position. This reduces colour resolution in particular for Red and Blue which are featured with only half as many sensels compared to Green.

Demosaicing algorithms attempt to recreate the lost colour information and have become very smart, but obviously cannot guess the true RGB values for each pixels due to the prior information loss.

The sensel-shifting approach presented by Ricoh allows to capture full RGB information for each pixel, albeit for still subjects only, for the time being.

More on this here: "Super resolution by pixel shifting in future Pentax cameras".