Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-16-2015, 04:33 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I don't know if anyone is familiar with the classic volume "English as She is Spoke," but it strikes me that Pentax has moved from the age decrepit to the decayedness.

02-16-2015, 06:16 AM   #17
JPT
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by banep Quote
There is a camera in this video (@17:50) that looks like a new GR? CP+2015 藤城一朗氏ワークショップ Kマウントレンズの楽しみ方 - YouTube
The point of this video is to give advice to photographers and showcase Pentax features and K-mount lenses. The camera shown is the GXR with the A16 zoom module, hood and EVF. It is only shown as the subject of two sample photographs. He says, "You might recognise this camera. It's out of production now but . . ." and then he shows how the position of the light source affects the images.
02-16-2015, 06:16 AM   #18
Pentaxian

@Rondec:
I guess you're talking about their usage of "English" words.
For a Japanese, the English pronunciation is very difficult; and I'm unsure how many people around here could pronounce Japanese reasonably well. The languages are simply too different.
Of course, as a Romanian I would have no issues pronouncing the Japanese syllabary (except for the native accent).
02-16-2015, 06:20 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Barry Pearson Quote
What I would like them to do is have an in-camera table that identifies the image circle at each (key) focal length. Not only does one lens differ from another, but zoom lenses sometimes (not always) differ from one focal length to another.

I've tested that myself. And so have others, see the links on that page.

Consider lenses like the DA 10-17mm Fisheye and the DA 12-24mm f/4. Both of these are fairly closely cropped to APS-C at the wide end, but probably usable at FF at the long end.

Yes, they have to know exactly what the image circle is like at the wide end. But as long as they knew that the image circle gets bigger at longer focal lengths, they don't need to be as concerned.
Usability of those lenses on a FF camera WITH SR needs to be tested.
I dunno where Uluru finds this to be surprising, nor where he found any Belgian schoolgirl btw.

02-16-2015, 07:10 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
@Rondec:
For a Japanese, the English pronunciation is very difficult; and I'm unsure how many people around here could pronounce Japanese reasonably well. The languages are simply too different.
Of course, as a Romanian I would have no issues pronouncing the Japanese syllabary (except for the native accent).
No, sorry. "English as She is Spoke" was a book published in the mid 1800s which purports to be a Portuguese to English phrase book. The authors apparently had an Portuguese to French phrase book and a French to English dictionary. The end result ended up being sold more for its silliness than because it was useful. It is also filled with odd insults: "He has spit in my coat, he has me take out my hairs."

Anyway, it was meant to be a subtle dig at Google translate, but I guess it didn't work.
02-16-2015, 07:14 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
@Rondec:
The Japanese sound system is one of the simplest there is. Unlike Chinese, for instance, there are no sounds that are not in English (except for the r/l blend) nor any tones. I'd say it's even easier to pronounce than Spanish. Learning to read the characters is different, of course, but I think anyone could learn to pronounce Japanese transliterated into Roman characters in less than an hour.

For a Japanese native, English is a real challenge because there's a ton of sounds that do not appear in Japanese. For one, every consonant in Japanese (except for the ts and the glottal stop n) must be followed by a vowel, while English allows for unlimited strings of consonant combinations.

But I'd say the reason most Japanese speakers pronounce English words with extra vowels is because
1) Non-Chinese loan words are overwhelmingly from English and they equate the English word with its Japanese borrowed word
2) It's only recent to get native English speakers into classrooms to teach English. For many years, English was taught by Japanese, many of whom had never been overseas (and in rural areas, never met an English native).

---------------

Any other parts of the text that need a better translation? I'll take requests!
02-16-2015, 07:58 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Anyway, it was meant to be a subtle dig at Google translate, but I guess it didn't work.
Sorry, I completely misunderstood your intention. But it was your fault! Subtle dig at Google translate? Their mistakes are anything but subtle! ("scorpion mustache" @co...)

MadMathMind: hmm... for a Romanian, learning should take 5 minutes, 10 tops; because except for a few differences, you'd just read it. For a native English speaker, well... I've heard so many people mispronouncing "Nikon"
What I'm saying - it's not about being difficult, because it really isn't; it's indeed much simpler. You'd just have to learn to pronounce differently, and yes, it won't take long. (I'm not even trying to touch the other writing systems, or grammar).
It's different and difficult the other way around, from Japanese to English, for the reasons you stated.

I guess this means we're in agreement on this subject - for what it's worth, as your knowledge of Japanese is superior to mine; same for English

02-16-2015, 08:19 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by banep Quote
Good find., looks like a new Ricoh Model allright and a Ricoh lens combination.
02-16-2015, 08:23 AM - 11 Likes   #24
JPT
Pentaxian

Fortunately, I can understand spoken Japanese much better than I can read it. Here’s a summary of Kitazawa-san’s answers to some of the main points and I understand it. The first five minutes or so are just introduction.

Clarity Enhancement
- Creates a clearer image from one captured image. It sounds like two copies of the image are processed in different ways and the results blended back into one image (not sure about that)
- The difference can be seen in the detail in the clouds and the buildings in the sample picture
- There is no real downside to this, except for the penalty in terms of processing time and the fact that it might not be to some users’ tastes

High Resolution using SR mechanism
- Creates a Foveon-like image from four captures by moving the sensor around by a few microns
- The resulting image uses four times the image data, but outputs an image with the same number of pixels as the sensor with better clarity
- It sounds like it will not be very usable for handheld photography or moving subjects
- It will be introduced on upcoming models, and Kitazawa hopes in time for the full frame camera

The future of the GR
- The GR is a camera that hasn’t had major changes, instead getting incremental improvements in response to user feedback
- The four key concepts that define the GR are optical quality, portability, speed, handling
- The three main user requests are for a zoom GR, different focal lengths (21mm, 35mm, 50mm) and a full frame sensor
- Kitazawa does not give any hint about which route they will take, but mentions that they want to keep it compact

The full frame camera
- The reason why they decided to make a full frame was requests from users that wanted a way to step up from APS-C but couldn’t afford the jump to 645
- They had a lot of discussions in the company about whether to make it mirrorless or not, but in the end they decided they couldn’t ask their customers to move to a new mount
- There is a whole almost comical exchange where Tanaka tries to put words into his mouth about the specs and features, but he says he can’t confirm anything. Some of the speculations that Tanaka makes are: the height of the camera and big prism are hiding some special feature; there must be SR because of the square on the front and because Kitazawa had said he hopes to include the new resolution function; there must be a screw drive motor because the FA31 is mounted; there is something special about the oversized monitor, such as it being completely detachable. Kitazawa laughs all of this off basically. But you have to ask yourself why Ricoh would allow this discussion to take place on their stage if it was too misleading.
- The price won’t be much different from competitors’ models of the same grade
- Sensor resolution will be in proportion to the other specs of the camera, maintaining a balance.

FF lenses
- They are currently testing DA lenses to see how to deal with the crop
- The lenses on the roadmap may not all come this year - he emphasises “or later”
- There are also prime lenses in the works that are not shown on the roadmap
- Basically FA lenses will work, but they may not all work well with the SR

Please feel free to correct me if you can see I've got any of this wrong.
02-16-2015, 08:40 AM   #25
Pentaxian

very interesting reading. 2 world fist could be:
detachable monitor
high reaoltion option.

nice things ahead!
02-16-2015, 08:59 AM   #26
Pentaxian

A detachable monitor would be great. You could leave it at home and save batteries , Loose it down a drain. Drop it and break it. Very useful for macro and covert shooting.

People were already fantasizing about it when the d800 had yet to come out:

http://petapixel.com/2011/04/11/nikon-d800-concept-features-detachable-lcd-s...wiveling-grip/

Last edited by D1N0; 02-16-2015 at 09:05 AM. Reason: addition
02-16-2015, 10:13 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
The point of this video is to give advice to photographers and showcase Pentax features and K-mount lenses. The camera shown is the GXR with the A16 zoom module, hood and EVF. It is only shown as the subject of two sample photographs. He says, "You might recognise this camera. It's out of production now but . . ." and then he shows how the position of the light source affects the images.
Yes i agree about its GXR, but it stand 70mm f2,4 at 22, thats more like DA70 limited...
02-16-2015, 10:37 AM - 1 Like   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bophoto Quote
Yes i agree about its GXR, but it stand 70mm f2,4 at 22, thats more like DA70 limited...
That's from the Pentax camera actually taking the shot. The GXR A16 in the pic is just the object being photographed as an example of how lighting affects a subject.

PS. It's at the 18 minute mark in the video to save time viewing the whole thing.

---------- Post added 2015-02-17 at 04:42 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
A detachable monitor would be great. You could leave it at home and save batteries , Loose it down a drain. Drop it and break it. Very useful for macro and covert shooting.

People were already fantasizing about it when the d800 had yet to come out:
A remote LCD is pretty much a standard feature with all new cameras now with WiFi and a phone app.

Last edited by anthony mazzeri; 02-16-2015 at 10:43 AM.
02-16-2015, 01:02 PM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by anthony mazzeri Quote
That's from the Pentax camera actually taking the shot. The GXR A16 in the pic is just the object being photographed as an example of how lighting affects a subject.

PS. It's at the 18 minute mark in the video to save time viewing the whole thing.

---------- Post added 2015-02-17 at 04:42 AM ----------

A remote LCD is pretty much a standard feature with all new cameras now with WiFi and a phone app.
A dedicated remote screen would probably work better than a phone.
02-16-2015, 01:16 PM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
High Resolution using SR mechanism
- Creates a Foveon-like image from four captures by moving the sensor around by a few microns
- The resulting image uses four times the image data, but outputs an image with the same number of pixels as the sensor with better clarity
- It sounds like it will not be very usable for handheld photography or moving subjects
- It will be introduced on upcoming models, and Kitazawa hopes in time for the full frame camera
Wow! A lot of exciting tech! Does anyone know how you get higher resolution images without increasing pixels? I don't understand how that is possible.