Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2015, 04:39 AM   #151
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
I don't object to your analysis but it doesn't seem to reflect what large corporations really do.
Phew - I will be happy with that - I have been a reader of your camera analysis, and have a high respect your logic and insights

I am sure, they did it more for business ethics (Ricoh is a long time user of the K mount and admirer of Pentax as a brand) than anything else. Interestingly, none of the big players tried to aquire Pentax.
Maybe - I actually have no specific idea what Ricoh are actually thinking or doing apart from what is publicly available, which is bland and sanitised. I was just speculating some scenarios about what they might be doing. They have an on-going need for optics and related development for their business machines, so adding Pentax makes some sense as a add-on acquisition. They also have an ongoing need to keep up with or get ahead of Canon and Xerox with their business machines, and again the Pentax acquisition seems likely to assist with that business imperative. Of course, you could also be right and the Pentax acquisition is just a business ethics/vanity project. Only time will tell on that.

But at the end of the day and this is my conviction, a company does best in bad times if it has to survive on its own. It leverages their best head's capabilities rather than shifting them to more profitable divisions. And it is all about heads, isn't it?
I agree that statement is true where there is capital and reserves to stay alive. German Mittelstand companies certainly provide some very good case studies in that regard. Perhaps if we look at Leica Camera for a moment - they are now progressing well enough in some very small market niches. Their survival and then growth have however been dependent on the fresh injections of capital that new owners and shareholders brought.

Moving back to Pentax, the advantage they have now being part of a much larger company is access to capital and reserves, with the associated discipline around the allocation of that capital. The disadvantage is that large companies can often quite conservative and slow moving in their decision making, which has potential to stymie innovation and rapid progress. Whether Pentax was even able to keep their 'best heads' through all the ownership changes is open to conjecture.

The question with Ricoh and Pentax is - do Ricoh see Pentax as a strategic value adding bolt-on. If yes then we will see sustained investment in Pentax for the strategic benefits it brings. If no, then probably it will carry on with very limited product releases. Again, time will tell the story.

Ross

03-01-2015, 04:41 AM   #152
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Uluru: Please stop spamming the News section with nonsense.

(Adam, a Fiction section please?)

---------- Post added 01-03-15 at 01:34 PM ----------

Unfortunately (for them, and less for us), this strategy is hurting the market; fewer people would buy new models at MSRP when an almost-the-same, older model is available for so much less. Even more unfortunately, it's not just Canon and Nikon doing that, pretty much all MILC makers but Leica and perhaps Fuji are doing it too.
It just feels like a lot of people are treating the market like the American auto makers did right before most of them went bankrupt -- you have to do whatever you need to to maintain market share, even if it means selling product for a loss. That is a losing proposition, though. Detroit eventually had a significant contraction (there were a lot of other changes too) and they seem to be doing better. Pentax doesn't need 20 percent of the market to make a profit -- particularly if that would mean selling fifty percent more entry level cameras with deep discounts.

But I'm not a stock analyst, so I will leave deeper reading of the tea leaves to others.
03-01-2015, 03:48 PM   #153
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
No, I think it's only Video and Sound they announced those plans for, Falconeye.
You are right, I stand corrected.

I was wrongly remembering Sony Global - News Releases - Sony Mid-Term Corporate Strategy for FY2015 - FY2017

In that press release, Sony mentioned to keep cameras. But did NOT include them as part of their future driving forces which are Imaging sensors, Playstation and Motion Pictures. So, I'd say they keep cameras for the time being ...
03-02-2015, 09:02 AM   #154
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
You are right, I stand corrected.

I was wrongly remembering Sony Global - News Releases - Sony Mid-Term Corporate Strategy for FY2015 - FY2017

In that press release, Sony mentioned to keep cameras. But did NOT include them as part of their future driving forces which are Imaging sensors, Playstation and Motion Pictures. So, I'd say they keep cameras for the time being ...
Indeed, that isnhow I understood it. That way they can decide whatever without eating their own words.

03-02-2015, 03:46 PM   #155
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I guess. But a camera like the 645z is probably a big money maker, even though in absolute numbers, the sales probably don't make a blip in the overall market. Cameras like the Canon T5 on the other hand, are probably big sellers, but are not big money makers at all. Low end APS-C is a big market with little actual revenue. Pentax's goal is not to out sell entry level APS-C cameras from other makers, but rather to grow their base in such a way that they sell more higher end gear, where real money can be made.
For that Canon has the Cinema EOS. APS-C cameras with a couple of modifications and without mirror sold at > 645z prices. Now THAT is profitable...

It also explains why Canon DSLRs suck at video these days. They don't want anyone even remotely professional shooting on a DSLR.