Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 44 Likes Search this Thread
02-23-2015, 04:22 AM   #76
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So we can agree that Pentax is doing okay, but still has a lot of room for growth.
What I find odd is that Sony's share is so low compared to Canikon. You'd think with Sony investing so much into making so many cameras, with different sensors (and even mounts), they would hold more than Pentax. Having a big lineup is expensive. But I guess Sony has deep pockets and can afford to wait

02-23-2015, 04:38 AM - 1 Like   #77
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
this thread sure brought the trolls out from under their bridges.
Well something had to, it must be cold and lonely under there.
02-23-2015, 04:40 AM   #78
Pentaxian

Sony can afford to wait... until they can't. For example, their mobile division isn't doing well and might be axed - and I'm a fan (and buyer!) of their smartphones. I don't see any such danger for their camera division, however if their long term plans won't be realized... who knows.

Flooding the market with countless models, making sure you'd mostly sell yesterday's models at a huge discount, is not exactly a "winning" strategy.
02-23-2015, 05:12 AM   #79
Veteran Member

Sony is the leader in mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras, and this market is growing so that is why they loose grounds on the DSLR-market. They focus (!) on mirrorless because it is there they can get the most exposure (!). I believe Olympus and Panasonic is easier to compete with than Canon and Nikon. Fortunately for Sony, both Canon and Nikon has - currently - a low profile in the mirrorless market.

Pentax should be able to do more in the DSLR-market, but I believe that most of the entry-level interchangeable lens cameras are mirrorless today. New models from Pentax in the mid and advanced DSLR-category will help them, and also the news of the 24x36 DSLR. But perhaps it is time for Pentax to start releasing something new for the mirrorless market - like a mirrorless APS-C camera. Not another K-01, but a mirrorless with a new mount and with a fully functional adapter for existing K-mount lenses, like Olympus did when they changed from 4/3 to micro 4/3. Having a mirrorless micro K-mount for entry level cameras and a few micro K-mount lenses. Perhaps P-mount. We have K)ing, Q)ueen so a P)rince / Princess / Page should be ok. And Pentax P-01 camera, just add a few basic lenses, like zooms for wide to tele, and a nice pancake prime and you're all set.

02-23-2015, 05:26 AM   #80
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RMabo Quote
Sony is the leader in mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras, and this market is growing
It isn't. It just managed to stay almost constant, at 99.5% of what it was an year before, while the DSLRs are declining.
(yeah, I'm ignoring Samsung...)
02-23-2015, 05:41 AM   #81
Forum Member

So far Sony managed to trash a mount, they failed with slt. Propably getting customers who adapt lenses only like with their full frame miroless makes you popular with internet aficionados but in the long term they should focus on making lenses for their mirrorless if they want to stay in buissness.
02-23-2015, 06:37 AM   #82
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
But I'm curious, how did you get the 8.59%? I don't see any sale numbers, just the positions.
I don't know if it shows sales numbers or something else, but I was talking about the bar (and pie) chart way down on http://kakaku.com/camera/digital-slr-camera/

02-23-2015, 06:50 AM - 1 Like   #83
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pacu Quote
So far Sony managed to trash a mount, they failed with slt. Propably getting customers who adapt lenses only like with their full frame miroless makes you popular with internet aficionados but in the long term they should focus on making lenses for their mirrorless if they want to stay in buissness.
Isn't that exactly what they're doing right now? Look at what they announced recently, and look at their roadmap.
02-23-2015, 07:10 AM   #84
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RMabo Quote
Sony is the leader in mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras, and this market is growing so that is why they loose grounds on the DSLR-market. They focus (!) on mirrorless because it is there they can get the most exposure (!). I believe Olympus and Panasonic is easier to compete with than Canon and Nikon. Fortunately for Sony, both Canon and Nikon has - currently - a low profile in the mirrorless market.

Pentax should be able to do more in the DSLR-market, but I believe that most of the entry-level interchangeable lens cameras are mirrorless today. New models from Pentax in the mid and advanced DSLR-category will help them, and also the news of the 24x36 DSLR. But perhaps it is time for Pentax to start releasing something new for the mirrorless market - like a mirrorless APS-C camera. Not another K-01, but a mirrorless with a new mount and with a fully functional adapter for existing K-mount lenses, like Olympus did when they changed from 4/3 to micro 4/3. Having a mirrorless micro K-mount for entry level cameras and a few micro K-mount lenses. Perhaps P-mount. We have K)ing, Q)ueen so a P)rince / Princess / Page should be ok. And Pentax P-01 camera, just add a few basic lenses, like zooms for wide to tele, and a nice pancake prime and you're all set.
Richo/Pentax has a lot to do now. They have Q, APS, coming 35mm and 645, so to start developing a mirrorless APS now isnīt a option.
They need more lenses for 645 (and perhaps a 645V (for video). Pentax are occupied of developing the 35mm system so we get a fine camera and lenses. Pentax also updating lenses (HD) for APS and hopefully they came with fast and WR primes as 18/2 or 28/1,4. Q system needs a more advanced camera like a Q5 with 2 batteries or a bigger one, GPS option, Flucard/Wi-Fi and a faster processor. To use the sensor in Q optimally, Pentax need a new series of fast primes that can operate in a aperture range of f 1,0 to 2,8. With these lenses that are big and weight a lot vs existing lenses, a Q camera can operate in low light with much lower iso than an APS camera. With this camera and lenses Q can be popular outside Japan.
02-23-2015, 07:20 AM - 2 Likes   #85
JPT
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
I don't know if it shows sales numbers or something else, but I was talking about the bar (and pie) chart way down on http://kakaku.com/camera/digital-slr-camera/
It is indeed a breakdown of sales by maker. But remember that Kakaku.com has MILC and DSLR in the same category, so that percentage includes K and Q.

In any case, I think it would be more useful for us to quit worrying about Ricoh's finances and worry about our own. Ricoh is set to release lot of pricy, high-end gear and pretty soon it's going to be time to open wallets.
02-23-2015, 07:41 AM   #86
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
In any case, I think it would be more useful for us to quit worrying about Ricoh's finances and worry about our own. Ricoh is set to release lot of pricy, high-end gear and pretty soon it's going to be time to open wallets.
Yes, that's the problem...
02-23-2015, 07:50 AM   #87
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
Thank you, I missed that.
02-23-2015, 10:15 AM   #88
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Pentax could also expand Q mount to different type cameras.
Something more "expert" with fast glass should get new users to the Q.
Wifi NFC GPs would be nice too.
02-23-2015, 10:38 AM   #89
Veteran Member

I just spent a long weekend tromping around a U.S. west coast tourist city. Many of the tourists were from Asia. I noted all the cameras I saw.

Phones: Zillions. Everywhere.

DSLRs:
15 Nikons (one with a 24-70/2.8, one D810 used by a pro, the rest were Dx0 with kit lenses)
7 Canons (one with what looked like a 15mm FE on a pro body, two guys with 70Ds and telephoto zooms, the rest with kit lenses)
1 Pentax (me)
0 Sony

MILC:
2 Fuji X-E2s. (One was me)
1 Panasonic m4/3
1 Sony NEX with a big silver lens

Compacts:
About 9. One looked like a Sony RX100 (?) and two were Sony superzooms. One Panasonic bridge camera, one Nikon high end. The rest were unidentifiable, but I think several were Sony and at least one Olympus.

Tablets: One idiot.

So I was surprised how many more Nikons there were. And how few compacts. Still only one Pentax, yours truly.
02-23-2015, 12:21 PM   #90
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by carpents Quote
Tablets: One idiot.
That's rather rude...