Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 44 Likes Search this Thread
02-23-2015, 12:26 PM   #91
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
That's rather rude...
I suppose. Apologies to the tabletographers out there, it was just a knee jerk reaction.

02-23-2015, 01:09 PM - 1 Like   #92
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Everyone that throws their lot in with an underdog, for whatever reason, usually has a backup strategy. Or should. I've been using every brand there is and can confidently pick up any of my DSLRs from any brand and make images I enjoy. The only brand I won't buy nor use again is the Sony SLT series.

Ricoh will certainly stop making cameras if they cease to be profitable. Until then, if ever, enjoy the ride - and if you enjoy photography you'll adapt to a new company or keep shooting what you have until it dies. It's all good.
02-23-2015, 01:14 PM   #93
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wolfeye Quote
or keep shooting what you have until it dies. It's all good
Like those weirdsmobiles in the Film SLR Discussion Forum?
02-23-2015, 01:32 PM   #94
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Oh I almost forgot! I saw one film SLR too - a Canon FD.

02-23-2015, 01:40 PM   #95
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Yes, Pentax was known for above excellent value for money. In that respect, what do you expect from the new FF Pentax? Do you think it's going to competitively priced vs CaNikon offerings? I have my doubts about that.
Actually knowing Pentax I think it will probably cost a great deal less. Look at their other cameras and how well they compare price-wise to Nikon and Canon. They have a habit of giving more for less $$$. Some of the Pentax entry level cameras are a wonderful deal for the money. I mean look at the K-30/K-50. Look at what you get compared to similar entry level Canon and Nikon cams.
02-23-2015, 01:47 PM   #96
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Exactly! How weird they are!

*hiding LX behind back...*
02-23-2015, 02:12 PM   #97
Forum Member

Isn't that exactly what they're doing right now? Look at what they announced recently, and look at their roadmap.
Sony many years and no consumer ultra wide zoom for their aps-c mirrorless, well even eos m got one... People seem to forget that a camera is a box needed to use lenses. Seeing Sony E 10-18mm f/4 OSS i guess, a man should just shutup and pay throw the nose.

02-24-2015, 01:17 AM   #98
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
Actually knowing Pentax I think it will probably cost a great deal less. Look at their other cameras and how well they compare price-wise to Nikon and Canon. They have a habit of giving more for less $$$. Some of the Pentax entry level cameras are a wonderful deal for the money. I mean look at the K-30/K-50. Look at what you get compared to similar entry level Canon and Nikon cams.
Without discriminating, it will be impossible for Pentax to compete with the price of all competing FF models out there. It may be affordable... for its type. It may be compact... in its own class.
02-24-2015, 03:20 PM   #99
osv
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pacu Quote
Sony many years and no consumer ultra wide zoom for their aps-c mirrorless, well even eos m got one...
the sony sel10-18 ultra wide zoom was released in 2012, and the nex3, the first camera in the emount series, was released in 2010... that is hardly "many years"

Last edited by Parallax; 02-24-2015 at 04:15 PM.
02-24-2015, 05:32 PM   #100
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For whatever it is worth Tom Hogan lists Pentax as 5.7 percent of the ilc market so that includes the Q. Fuji is in the 3 range btw.
02-24-2015, 06:16 PM   #101
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Without discriminating, it will be impossible for Pentax to compete with the price of all competing FF models out there. It may be affordable... for its type. It may be compact... in its own class.
They did promise it would be different...

How different remains to be seen, but the design study shown already doesn't lead us to think that it's going to be externally all that unusual, so price and feature remain the areas of possible differentiation.
02-24-2015, 08:25 PM   #102
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote
the sony sel10-18 ultra wide zoom was released in 2012, and the nex3, the first camera in the emount series, was released in 2010... that is hardly "many years"
I've got that lens, Osv - it's a favourite of mine amongst some pretty poor Sony lenses - but it's not 'consumer' grade. It's expensive.

02-25-2015, 09:12 AM   #103
osv
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I've got that lens, Osv - it's a favourite of mine amongst some pretty poor Sony lenses - but it's not 'consumer' grade. It's expensive.
cool pic

some guys are even using that lens on ff, in the middle of the zoom range, with decent results
02-25-2015, 09:16 AM   #104
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote
cool pic

some guys are even using that lens on ff, in the middle of the zoom range, with decent results
Yeah, Trey Ratcliff advised this could be done. If the Pentax FF is unaffordable for me for a while, I haven't ruled out a 2nd hand A7 in the meantime.
02-25-2015, 09:22 AM   #105
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I've got that lens, Osv - it's a favorite of mine amongst some pretty poor Sony lenses - but it's not 'consumer' grade. It's expensive.
Wide angle zoom seem to be amongst the most difficult to do "right". The most expensive lens for the Pentax Q-family is the 08 lens, which is essentially comparable to a 10-18mm lens.