Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 36 Likes Search this Thread
02-25-2015, 07:52 AM   #106
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by asahi man Quote
Yes,thatīs right and the new fullframe body will be available at first in japan and europe,approx. October.
Best regards
So - a 645Z-style product release then? We North Americans will have to get down on our knees and beg?*

* How does it feel, Americans, to NOT be the most important market in the developed world any more?

02-25-2015, 08:10 AM   #107
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
you lost that years ago
look at the market share, EU is more important and higher prices then the US. Even the upcoming markets (Asia/India) have more potential for growth then the US (with Canikon dump prices)
02-25-2015, 08:35 AM   #108
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
85% of Pentax's sales are domestic. They really are a Japanese camera company. Doesn't stop me buying a good product, but they don't play the Canikon international game - it's not worth it.

Last edited by clackers; 02-25-2015 at 09:25 AM.
02-25-2015, 09:06 AM   #109
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
So - a 645Z-style product release then? We North Americans will have to get down on our knees and beg?*

* How does it feel, Americans, to NOT be the most important market in the developed world any more?
For years (a couple decades at least), some technology products - cell phones, computer components, heck even some cameras - have been available in other markets for a while before coming to the USA... and sometimes said items never arrived here, at all.

If anything, its better now, as Japan-centric products are now available to purchase in foreign markets thanks to online storefronts like Amazon and Ebay.

02-25-2015, 09:16 AM   #110
Pentaxian

When I bought the 01 lens for my Q-7, I bought it from a Japanese dealer via Amazon. I'm fine with that. If I want it enough, I'm willing to wait for a slow boat from Japan and diffident west coast longshoreman to get it to me eventually. Otherwise, I'll find a roughly equivalent product from someone who wants to sell it to me.
02-25-2015, 09:19 AM   #111
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Franc Quote
you lost that years ago
look at the market share, EU is more important and higher prices then the US. Even the upcoming markets (Asia/India) have more potential for growth then the US (with Canikon dump prices)
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
85% of Pentax's sales are domestic. They really are a Japanese camera company. Doesn't stop me buying a good product, but they don't play the Canikon game - it's not worth it.
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
For years (a couple decades at least), some technology products - cell phones, computer components, heck even some cameras - have been available in other markets for a while before coming to the USA... and sometimes said items never arrived here, at all.

If anything, its better now, as Japan-centric products are now available to purchase in foreign markets thanks to online storefronts like Amazon and Ebay.
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
When I bought the 01 lens for my Q-7, I bought it from a Japanese dealer via Amazon. I'm fine with that. If I want it enough, I'm willing to wait for a slow boat from Japan and diffident west coast longshoreman to get it to me eventually. Otherwise, I'll find a roughly equivalent product from someone who wants to sell it to me.
Thank you for arguing my case.

Perhaps we can now stop hammering Denver for their supposed failures.
02-25-2015, 09:19 AM   #112
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robthebloke Quote
Do you throw your camera away every year?
Nope...so...your point?

02-25-2015, 04:49 PM   #113
Veteran Member

85% of Pentax's sales are domestic. They really are a Japanese camera company. Doesn't stop me buying a good product, but they don't play the Canikon international game - it's not worth it.
I keep reading this 85% figure.

However, it applies to a business segment comprising much more than Pentax. The domestic Pentax share is much less. Unfortinately, Ricoh business reports don't allow to draw conclusions about Pentax, their numbers are obfuscated by larger divisions.

So please, stop quoting this 85% figure. Thanks. I recommend to turn to CIPA to guesstimate stuff.
02-25-2015, 05:25 PM   #114
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote

However, it applies to a business segment comprising much more than Pentax. .

Does it, Falconeye?

What is your proof?

Here's mine - the division breakdown from p102 of Ricoh's own report at http://www.ricoh.com/about/sustainability/report/pdf2014/all.pdf

Imaging and Solutions

• Office Imaging

MFPs (multifunctional printers), copiers, laser printers, digital

duplicators, facsimiles, scanners, related parts and supplies,

services, support and software

• Production Printing

Cut sheet printer, continuous feed printer, related parts and

supplies, services, support and software

• Network System Solutions

Personal computers, servers, network equipment, related services,

support and software

Industrial Products

Thermal media, optical equipment, semiconductor devices and

electronic components

Other

Digital cameras

02-26-2015, 12:48 AM   #115
Pentaxian

However, it applies to a business segment comprising much more than Pentax. The domestic Pentax share is much less. Unfortinately, Ricoh business reports don't allow to draw conclusions about Pentax, their numbers are obfuscated by larger divisions.

So please, stop quoting this 85% figure. Thanks. I recommend to turn to CIPA to guesstimate stuff.
I agree. It contains leasing and financing as well, which I'd guess they are quite Japan-centric.

In another post I made some very rough estimations starting from the BCN Ranking's sales data; the result was a far cry from the Other's total sales in Japan. Cameras are a significant part, but I'd be surprised if it's more than 1/3rd (which would explain why it's "Other" and not "Ricoh Imaging and some extras" )
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/16-pentax-news-rumors/289212-japan-has-sp...ml#post3167542
02-26-2015, 05:43 AM   #116
Veteran Member

What is your proof?
Applying reasoning.

Just use absolute figures (rather than percentages) and you immediately see it can't be true. Well, except you assume Pentax pawns the Japanese camera market ...

I am a bit concerned how easily this community accepted an unlikely figure from a difficult to interpret business report.
02-26-2015, 06:28 AM   #117
Veteran Member

Applying reasoning.

Just use absolute figures (rather than percentages) and you immediately see it can't be true. Well, except you assume Pentax pawns the Japanese camera market ...

I am a bit concerned how easily this community accepted an unlikely figure from a difficult to interpret business report.
The 85 per cent figure certainly sounds a bit unlikely. If I remember, Europe used to take a far higher proportion of cameras than allowed for here. Bear in mind that Pentax is pretty popular in France, for example. My impression is that now is a good time for Japanese companies to export all they can, because exchange rates are in their favour.
02-26-2015, 06:39 AM   #118

QuoteOriginally posted by Rico Quote
How did Pentax mess up with the K-01 and K-S1?

I own the K-01 and it has been a great asset for me. It is a shame Pentax hasn't developed the concept further.

And the K-S1 in my opinion is brilliant move on Pentax's part to appeal to the target audience it was intended for primarily the "Selfie" generation.

I say Pentax keep up the excellent work.

Cant wait to see the full frame.
Agree
02-26-2015, 08:24 AM   #119
Veteran Member

I think we need another good dose of kenspo.
Haha..thank you! Will load my guns soon!
02-26-2015, 08:39 PM   #120
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I agree. It contains leasing and financing as well

Stop guessing, Kunzite, where is your proof?

There is a Ricoh Leasing Co Ltd, listed separately on the stock exchange.

Again, Ricoh give this breakdown of their divisions in their Q3 financial report:

*Each category includes the following product line:

Office Imaging MFPs (multifunctional printers), copiers, laser printers, digital duplicators, facsimile, scanners,

related parts & supplies, services, support and software

Production Printing Cut sheet printer, continuous feed printer, related parts & supplies, services, support and software

Network System Solutions Personal computers, servers, network equipment, related services, support and software

Industrial Products Thermal media, optical equipment, electronic components, semiconductor devices and inkjet head

Other Digital cameras

Remember it will include lens sales.