Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2015, 02:48 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

DPReview gives a nod to the Pentax FF

Big kudos to Richard Butler who mentioned the upcoming Pentax FF model at the "Gear Day" feature at CreativeLive!

During this 1h feature, no Pentax/Ricoh was ever in sight (the table was filled with Canon, Nikon, Sony, Samsung, Fujifilm, and Olympus models), but at the very end -- when reviewers were asked which upcoming model they are most excited about -- Richard Butler gave a big nod to the Pentax FF model. He mentioned Pentax as a manufacturer of "photographer's cameras" with "well-positioned controls".

DPReview receives a lot of flak from us, so this may be an opportunity to say "thanks" and drive up the popularity rating of their "CP+ 2015: Up close and personal with Ricoh's full-frame Pentax mockup" article by visiting it and leaving a positive comment.

02-21-2015, 03:38 AM - 1 Like   #2
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
When Ricoh comes with more than a pile of plastic, and more accurate date than "late 2015", we can thank everyone, starting from Abraham onwards and that includes Richard Butler and DPR.

But before that happens, we must only pray Ricoh does not screw up this time like they did with K-01 and K-S1 and endless FF wait, endless TC wait, endless long zoom wait, etc. Which has cost them a lot, including significant drop in DSLR market share in the last 2 years.

Despite Sony visibly getting out of the DSLR market n the last 2+ years, which gives more room for expansion there, Ricoh has even managed to lower the Pentax DSLR share by 2% in that same time ... can anyone guess why?!

This FF and thinking straight for a year is their last chance. That they are last DSLR manufacturer to be mentioned on DPR or elsewhere ... no bloody wonder!

Last edited by Uluru; 02-21-2015 at 03:48 AM.
02-21-2015, 03:47 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Despite Sony visibly getting out of the DSLR market n the last 2 years, which gives more room for expansion, Ricoh has even managed to lower the Pentax DSLR share by 2% in that same time ... can anyone guess why?!
*in Japan.
02-21-2015, 05:27 AM - 4 Likes   #4
Pentaxian

But before that happens, we must only pray Ricoh does not screw up this time like they did with K-01 and K-S1 and endless FF wait, endless TC wait, endless long zoom wait, etc. Which has cost them a lot, including significant drop in DSLR market share in the last 2 years.
Nonsense.
K-01 was a Pentax-Hoya project; launched in February 2012, Ricoh Imaging had no option than to either launch it, or cancel it and lose all the R&D effort. It was too early for them to have any real input.
K-S1 is actually a nice camera, and the BS about LEDs is uncalled for. Yes, it is expensive and its grip is not at the usual Pentax level.

But what makes least sense is when you're accusing them of things which they're doing right:
Ricoh Imaging is actually the company who gave us the RC - which was previously canceled by Hoya. They launched the long lens (560mm) too.
Ricoh Imaging is actually the company who gave us the two new D FA lenses, including a long zoom.
Ricoh Imaging is actually the company who will give us the "full frame".

Of course they can't do things instantly; Samsung said they were working for about 3 years on the NX1.

02-21-2015, 05:59 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Ricoh has even managed to lower the Pentax DSLR share by 2% in that same time ... can anyone guess why?!
Please provide a link to your source for this statement. I would like to know if the decline is 2 percent or 2 percentage points. There is a HUGE difference between the two.

Edit: answered my own question. In another thread, Pentax is shown with a 7.5% share in 2012 (in Japan). Ricoh had a 4.5% share in 2015. That's a 3 percentage point drop, which is a 40% decline.

Last edited by MPrince; 02-21-2015 at 06:41 AM.
02-21-2015, 06:24 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I think every consumer and reviewer wants more competition. It is good for the market.
02-21-2015, 06:58 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
*in Japan.
In Japan indeed but Ricoh representatives said at CP+ that they are selling more ILCs in Japan than in the rest of the world.

02-21-2015, 07:59 AM - 2 Likes   #8
Veteran Member

How did Pentax mess up with the K-01 and K-S1?

I own the K-01 and it has been a great asset for me. It is a shame Pentax hasn't developed the concept further.

And the K-S1 in my opinion is brilliant move on Pentax's part to appeal to the target audience it was intended for primarily the "Selfie" generation.

I say Pentax keep up the excellent work.

Cant wait to see the full frame.
02-21-2015, 08:10 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by Rico Quote
And the K-S1 in my opinion is brilliant move on Pentax's part to appeal to the target audience it was intended for primarily the "Selfie" generation.
Agree about this except for the "selfie" notion. I can't imagine trying that with any DSLR.

And the way people bleat on about LEDs you'd think the thing lights up like a christmas tree. I've had my K-S1 for a month now and some lights come on when you power it on. Otherwise, I don't see them.
02-21-2015, 08:30 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
But what makes least sense is when you're accusing them of things which they're doing right:
Ricoh Imaging is actually the company who gave us the RC - which was previously canceled by Hoya. They launched the long lens (560mm) too.
Ricoh Imaging is actually the company who gave us the two new D FA lenses, including a long zoom.
Ricoh Imaging is actually the company who will give us the "full frame".
My view of Ricoh (about Pentax) is: so far they are delivering on their promises and the lens roadmap; and they like to spring the occasional surprise that people didn't see coming. (For example, new and updated lenses that weren't on the roadmap, or WR flash units).

I guess we'll know by the end of the year how much confidence we can have in them in future.
02-21-2015, 08:40 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Well, they do seem a bit slow in delivering, but then we're not aware of all the problems they have to solve. Good thing - we know they mean business (unlike Hoya); they wouldn't be launching the FF otherwise.
02-21-2015, 08:45 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clothears Quote
Agree about this except for the "selfie" notion. I can't imagine trying that with any DSLR.

And the way people bleat on about LEDs you'd think the thing lights up like a christmas tree. I've had my K-S1 for a month now and some lights come on when you power it on. Otherwise, I don't see them.
No offense intended.

What I meant was people moving from "selfie" to something more. The LED's can be used to see the count down when the shutter is going to fire. So if you are taking a group photo including yourself it gives a visual clue for everyone to show their best side at the right moment.
02-21-2015, 08:47 AM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

I own the K-01 and it has been a great asset for me. It is a shame Pentax hasn't developed the concept further.

I say Pentax keep up the excellent work.

Cant wait to see the full frame.

Agree with you there. A camera for the most part Is about image output. So to others. they think that the K-01 and the K-S1 are failures because they don't look as others might think is good, but they take good pics. At the end of the day, that is what is most important.
02-21-2015, 08:47 AM   #14
Pentaxian

The K-S2 is made for selfies
Not exactly, but its WiFi button can act as a selfie-mode shutter release.
02-21-2015, 08:51 AM   #15
Veteran Member

No offense intended.

What I meant was people moving from "selfie" to something more. The LED's can be used to see the count down when the shutter is going to fire. So if you are taking a group photo including yourself it gives a visual clue for everyone to show their best side at the right moment.

I have not been a selfie guy myself but others like it. I have had the WG-1 and it would show you by the number of leds around the lens ring and I actually thought that was a novel idea to make sure how many people showed in the picture. That the S1 did that is not that bad at all in my mind.