Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-05-2015, 11:36 AM - 1 Like   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
I think he is just saying he knew all along Pentax wasn't being flushed away and wanted to show everyone he was right.
It isn't so much "see - TOLD 'YA." credit-taking (though I admit the thought does cross my mind when reading these interviews) as it is hoping to deflect just a bit of the perpetual PiD knee-jerk reactions. You'll not likely recall how lonely it was to be an optimist in 2012 and early 2013. I bot a K-01 pre-order and the derision was bad enough that I went away for six months - no visits and no posts whatsoever.

I think it is particularly revealing to hear that B2B engineers and technologies are integrated into Imaging products and corporate considers B2C a real growth area long term. So here we are at the core of future Ricoh growth - first step on the long journey and maybe there was some real business logic to the order of doing things - bringing the FF after the MF, etc. IMHO that calls for Good Cheer and I don't care who gets credit.

Last edited by monochrome; 03-05-2015 at 12:12 PM.
03-05-2015, 12:09 PM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
It isn't so much "see - TOLD 'YA." credit-taking (though I admit the thought does cross my mind when reading these interviews) as it is hoping to deflect just a bit of the perpetual PiD knee-jerk reactions. You'll not likely recall how lonely it was to be an optimist in 2012 and early 2013. I bot a K-01 pre-order and the derision was bad enough that I went away for six months - no visits and no posts whatsoever.

I think it is particularly revealing to hear that B2B engineers and technologies are integrated into Imaging products and corporate considers B2C a real growth area long term. So here we are at the core of future Ricoh growth - fist step on the long journey and maybe there was some real business logic to the order of doing things - bringing the FF after the MF, etc. IMHO that calls for Good Cheer and I don't care who gets credit.
To be honest about it, I have been thinking about it all along years ago, it would not have been a good thing if Pentax came out with a FF ahead of 6D, D610, D800 and D750. It would have been a so-so product, just like years ago when Sony came out with their FF model like the A900 or A800 series. Fast forward a few years now, all the Pentax technologies (sensor, ergonomics, focussing system and features) have been improved (at least closer to the competition), a k-3 (or better) like FF would be a welcome sign. I would not buy a Pentax FF had it come out years ago. Now, most of the chips (missing before) are in place, plus a more mature sensor technology resulting in better and less costly buy which will likely rekindling our interest in FF. Nonetheless, I still think that APS-C has its place...and not likely to be replaced by FF.
03-05-2015, 12:30 PM   #18
ogl
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote
interesting, thx

"To be frank, the number of 645Z sales is much more than our expectations, so our output capacity could not meet the demand, even today, on a worldwide basis."

nice!
It will be the same with FF. IMO

Last edited by ogl; 03-05-2015 at 12:46 PM.
03-05-2015, 12:31 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
It will the same with FF. IMO
Note initial distribution markets do not include USA.

03-05-2015, 01:19 PM   #20
Site Supporter

Are you sure they just didn't forget to mention north America ?
I doubt there never was any Pentax product not straight available in USA, do i ?
03-05-2015, 01:36 PM   #21
Veteran Member

this is the best interview.645z is doing well and i think the new full frame will do the same if the price is well ballanced! for Ricoh and customers!!
03-05-2015, 01:37 PM   #22
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have thought for awhile that Ricoh definitely had a plan. The first year to year and a half was definitely a time of consolidation of forces and development of that plan and then last year turned into the year of the 645z -- a very good year from Ricoh's standpoint, but just not what the majority of Pentax faithful were looking for.

Ricoh is releasing nice products, well designed and targeted to good points of the market. I have seen very little of the common Canon/Nikon habit of releasing a second or third version of a product that is almost exactly the same, but with minor changes to a screen or to frame rate or buffer. Makes more sense to keep products on the market till there is some real upgrade available and then release that.
03-05-2015, 01:50 PM   #23
Pentaxian

A really interesting interview (apart from the 'Yeah' count which must be in the hundreds). I like the openness, the good news (such as the 645Z's popularity) - maybe next time we'll even see something like DPReview's recent interview with Sigma CEO Kazuto Yamaki.

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I have seen very little of the common Canon/Nikon habit of releasing a second or third version of a product that is almost exactly the same, but with minor changes to a screen or to frame rate or buffer.
Pentax has been doing the same, quite extensively actually. Think about the K-x/K-r, the K30/K50 and the K5/K5 II. Some of that might be Hoya legacy (like the K-r), other things not, like the K50 and K5 II.

Last edited by FantasticMrFox; 03-05-2015 at 01:56 PM.
03-05-2015, 01:59 PM   #24
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I've read a rumor that the FF will start shipping in October...
03-05-2015, 02:09 PM   #25
Pentaxian

for some reasons, the Ricoh guy seem to open up more with these guys, compare to with our own Pentaxforum interviewers....

Did Dave take them out for a drink before the interview?
03-05-2015, 02:37 PM   #26
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
A good interview.
03-05-2015, 03:04 PM   #27
Site Supporter

I'm surprised no one has commented on "That's why in the DSLR area, we still have a slight increase [in sales] instead of a decrease." This in a market segment that is in the third year of double digit decreases. Not having a FF camera and not updating the K-01 hasn't hindered Pentax sales one bit.

The other point I wanted to make is that there wasn't a single mention of targeting anyone but current Pentaxians with the upcoming FF camera. Nowhere was pursuing greater market share mentioned. As others has stated, the plan is to incrementally grow profitably, regardless of what the rest of the industry is doing.
03-05-2015, 03:12 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter

I imagine courting current Pentax owners (and those who have recently jumped ship) is intermediate term tactics - one of the early steps of the Plan.

I believe eventually Ricoh wants to be a significant imaging industry leader but you start with what you have and build from there. What they have is a group of patents, a tradition, some engineers and access to more engineers - and a group of rabidly loyal users
03-05-2015, 03:41 PM   #29
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
What they have is a group of patents, a tradition, some engineers and access to more engineers - and a group of rabidly loyal users
plus, as said a couple of times during the interview, some 20 million (FF) K-mount lenses out there:

"We have accumulated about 20 million lenses sold for the K-mount, so this is one of the big groups we wanted to respect."
03-05-2015, 04:06 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter

What's the one and only thing that's irrefutably different about a Pentax camera? The K-mount!

Jim Malcolm once said it comes down to increasing the 'installed base' of K-mounts in the market. They don't really care what is wrapped around the K-mount - just get more K-mounts out there. So if colors sells a second camera in a household or sells the first Pentax to a household, make cameras in colors. If the K-S series sells more K-mounts - make K-S series cameras.

But sell more K-mounts!!!

Then all those 20,000,000 lenses have more cameras to use them with.

It's actually brilliant - instead of forcing your loyal users to buy new lenses, make cameras that can mount what your loyal users already have; make new lenses that are BETTER than what your loyal users already have - they might buy a new lens, too. Your loyal users will sell cameras for you because they're loyal users!

And treat the whole community like some great big family that has it's own secret handshake.