Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-06-2015, 09:41 AM - 1 Like   #1

Interview with Jim Malcom

Pentax President on Medium Format, Full Frame Future

03-06-2015, 10:24 AM   #2

Calling that "brief" would be an overstatement.
03-06-2015, 11:24 AM   #3

Original Poster
It is brief but at least now I understand that interchangeable cameras will have Pentax name in the future. And that Pentax aim at the proffesionals. Honestly until now I thought that Pentax don't even think about pros. If I understood correctly (betwen the lines) new FF will aim at pros and I think it's a good news. They have a strategy how to grow system and make it appealing and "whole". Maybe in years to come we'll see new fast primes and advanced flash system. That would really be hard to beat-great APSC lineup,deacent FF lineup,645 with new leaf shutter lenses, thethering support....no system have all that. Pentax would really be mature and competetive system that would be hard to ignore...
03-06-2015, 12:17 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Quote: "but I will say that our full frame camera will incorporate what we've learned from our medium format experience and our APS-C experience. Some features will trickle up and others will trickle down."

So What will Trickle Up and What will Trickle Down?

03-06-2015, 01:53 PM   #5
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by psychdoc Quote
Quote: "but I will say that our full frame camera will incorporate what we've learned from our medium format experience and our APS-C experience. Some features will trickle up and others will trickle down."

So What will Trickle Up and What will Trickle Down?
From 645Z: Tilting screen from the 645Z. Big, big viewfinder inspired by 67 and 645.
From K-3: Then lots of ergonomics, AF, other good food and solutions.

Then, the K-3 update will have some FF-inspired tweaks. And so o.
03-06-2015, 09:31 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Some things will need to trickle from 'elsewhere' if they want the FF to attract people who don't currently use Pentax. I'm thinking, specifically, another major leap in AF performance, and flash-synch.

I'm not saying they won't do that (I really hope they do make another big tech step, and think they most likely will). But, if the FF is solely cobbled together using tech from the K-3 and 645Z, it'll be slated against the Canikon competition.
03-06-2015, 09:42 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Poit Quote
Some things will need to trickle from 'elsewhere' if they want the FF to attract people who don't currently use Pentax.
This release is aimed at APS-C Pentaxians who've waited for more than a decade now, Poit. A ready made market.

Trying to undercut a Big Two duopoly requires a lot of risky investment, as Sony have found to their detriment. :-(
03-06-2015, 10:19 PM   #8
Veteran Member

//We have worked hard to recapture the top end and re-establish our credibility with the professional. I can't reveal much about future products but I will say that our full frame camera will incorporate what we've learned from our medium format experience and our APS-C experience. Some features will trickle up and others will trickle down." -
I think they will sell it at more affordable price as they did with 645z. they have succeded at this trend! the ks2 is priced very well.so this will be the trend/affordable price for camera and high price for lenses/.

03-06-2015, 11:59 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
They could discount heavily with the 645Z, Zmoie, because the existing players had enormous markups on small production runs.

The rivals in the FF race are Canon, Nikon and Sony, who go for high volume and less profit than Phase One and Hassy.

There won't be the same margin to play with.

They've indicated no bargains or gouging the captive Pentaxian audience, so it'll be interesting to see the launch price (with its inbuilt early adopters tax) and the price one or two years later. :-)
03-07-2015, 02:56 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Clackers, I would not call that 'discounting', but 'normal pricing' (unlike their competitors)
Indeed, it can't be done on the 35mm-format market - which is similar to the APS-C one, and very different from medium format. We can expect good value products (think MSRP here, I doubt Ricoh would want to drop prices too fast on a longer-lived product), but no bargains.
And that's fine. I would hate a product designed to be a bargain.

Some things will need to trickle from 'elsewhere' if they want the FF to attract people who don't currently use Pentax. I'm thinking, specifically, another major leap in AF performance, and flash-synch.
They already made such a leap IMO, with the introduction of the new fast focusing D FA lenses. I would like to see how they work on a K-3... too bad I don't have a K-3, nor the lenses.
03-07-2015, 10:23 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

What they learned from the 645Z? Extraordinary IQ sells bodies, and minor nits are overlooked or forgotten. Luscious files. Poorly implemented movie mode is unused. Tethering is really important, even a deal breaker.

What they learned from the K3. Broad feature offering at a good price. Noise matters. Movie people don't want it done for them. Incomplete tethering is cute but almost unused. Better AF is lens dependent.

Bright viewfinders sell bodies. Weather resistance is a Pentax brand identifier and sells bodies.

A full frame with luscious files, nice handling with no waiting for processing, WR and bright viewfinder will sell.
03-07-2015, 07:25 PM   #12
Banned

Some things will need to trickle from 'elsewhere' if they want the FF to attract people who don't currently use Pentax. I'm thinking, specifically, another major leap in AF performance, and flash-synch..
If they have invested in top quality and fast glass, there is little sense in forgetting about flash sync.
I expect an update in the FF, once and for all.

Then all things considered, they will fix major K-3 flaw (if we could call it a flaw). Only a perceptual point.
But instead of 1/250 se. K-3 brought 200,000 cycle shutter. Hey, I'd rather have that than 1/250.

But FF can fix that problem, as it must be more pro oriented than the K-3.
03-07-2015, 10:11 PM   #13

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Then all things considered, they will fix major K-3 flaw (if we could call it a flaw). Only a perceptual point.
But instead of 1/250 se. K-3 brought 200,000 cycle shutter. Hey, I'd rather have that than 1/250.

But FF can fix that problem, as it must be more pro oriented than the K-3.
While I don't disagree, I think that I've heard that on Canon 5Dmk2's that sync @ 1/250th, some users report poor sync (dark band) at 1/250 with some hardware combos. So 1/180th could be a case where the historical decision has been to 'protect the user from themselves' by limiting sync and avoiding any issues at 1/250th.

In that case I'd suggest that on a pro body they let the pro decide what works or not - if the shutter timing is deterministic enough.