Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-08-2015, 12:57 PM   #16
Pentaxian

New mount or protruding lenses (which IMO are a kludge rather than a long-term solution), they would have to break compatibility. IMHO the new mount is the way to do it... but, as you say, it wouldn't be good for loyal users. So they're not doing it right now.

03-08-2015, 12:59 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Couscousdelight Quote
A retractable mount could be a solution for the SLR/ML register distance. A engineer's tour de force, but feasible, i guess.
There is a reason why that design is pretty much dead today, there will always be some trade-off with parallelity in a design like that.
03-08-2015, 12:59 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Why obsess over the presence or absence of a mirror? Why would you want to use a big, heavy K-mount lens on a (relatively) small, light mirrorless body anyway? I own both the K-01 and the K3, and I sometimes carry both, but the value of the K-01 for me is as a high-IQ casual walkaround camera. With a DA40Ltd or FA20-35 mounted, I can carry the K-01 for hours handheld on a wrist strap. But if I want to take time to compose and try different exposure settings, the ergonomics of the K3 are far superior, helped by its large size. I think Pentax has appropriately focused on satisfying its loyal, existing user base, of which I will remain a member.
03-08-2015, 01:00 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jeff knight Quote
I like Mr Saiki's hair. I think Pentax spokesmen/execs have better hair than the other camera companies.
It truly is great! I need to save out my bangs just a bit more and then bleach it just right.

03-08-2015, 01:04 PM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think the only part people have said the is big on the camera is the prism housing. Based on what he said, if there is a surprise that has yet to be revealed about the camera, it's probably hiding in that housing.
03-08-2015, 02:31 PM   #21
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DPR is so annoying. First of all, if I were a representative of company that always gets worst of attention from DPR, starting from lack of reviews, deriding remarks about Pentax in write-ups and so forth, I would not give them any bit of information about anything. Rule goes, know your enemy first. And DPR is the enemy of common sense too.

Secondly, I would love DPR spare us mirrorless tirade when conversing with a representative of the company that has practically invented an SLR.

Instead, why DPR do not bother mirrorless-solution-only companies, bugging them with questions like: when will they try out SLR designs and change their mounts to ones with larger distance, in order to simplify their lens designs, introduce native distortion-free images and not images no one can swallow without butter and intense software manipulation, insist on 100% tele-centricity, considerably preserve battery life with introduction of a bright OVF to save environment too, better handling of cameras with telephoto lenses?

Mirrorless tirade is boring. Mirrorless is boring. If you want your mirrorless, buy a damn A7 or whatever and be gone.

But there are people who do not want mirrorless tradeoffs because they suck.

---------- Post added 03-09-2015 at 09:21 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
It truly is great! I need to save out my bangs just a bit more and then bleach it just right.
I think it is vitiligo. (Losing skin pigmentation.)

Last edited by Uluru; 03-08-2015 at 03:46 PM.
03-08-2015, 03:25 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
I know what it is since I got it myself.
Still looks really great, natural highlights then.

03-08-2015, 04:53 PM - 1 Like   #23
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
DPR is so annoying. First of all, if I were a representative of company that always gets worst of attention from DPR, starting from lack of reviews, deriding remarks about Pentax in write-ups and so forth, I would not give them any bit of information about anything. Rule goes, know your enemy first. And DPR is the enemy of common sense too.

Secondly, I would love DPR spare us mirrorless tirade when conversing with a representative of the company that has practically invented an SLR.

Instead, why DPR do not bother mirrorless-solution-only companies, bugging them with questions like: when will they try out SLR designs and change their mounts to ones with larger distance, in order to simplify their lens designs, introduce native distortion-free images and not images no one can swallow without butter and intense software manipulation, insist on 100% tele-centricity, considerably preserve battery life with introduction of a bright OVF to save environment too, better handling of cameras with telephoto lenses?

Mirrorless tirade is boring. Mirrorless is boring. If you want your mirrorless, buy a damn A7 or whatever and be gone.

But there are people who do not want mirrorless tradeoffs because they suck.

---------- Post added 03-09-2015 at 09:21 AM ----------

Just saying, there was 1 question on mirrorless out of the 15 questions they asked. I do not think this is an overkill to ask whether there would be another k-01 coming. I did not read anything that was overly biased against Pentax either, so hammering them is groundless.

Showerthought: If DPR made a review for the K-mount, it would end up as DPRK...
03-08-2015, 05:07 PM   #24
Veteran Member

We got multiple threads here discussing Pentax going mirrorless and the future of the K-mount, I find the question warranted.
03-08-2015, 05:25 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Anthen Quote
Showerthought: If DPR made a review for the K-mount, it would end up as DPRK...
Democratic People's Republic of Korea?
03-08-2015, 05:28 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
They have really forgotten K-01 concept : too bad....
When we talk Mirrorless we understand "compact" what the K-01 wasn't !!!

---------- Post added 08-03-15 at 17:36 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Or the lens could protrude inside the mount, like that prototype which never made into production.
In any case, it doesn't make sense (on the long term) to have a mirrorless line while keeping the empty space now required for the OVF's mirror.
What lenses are you referring to that could protrude inside the mount ??? And why is that ?? Unless it is a new design you have to keep register space!
03-08-2015, 05:46 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RuiC Quote
What lenses are you referring to that could protrude inside the mount ??? And why is that ?? Unless it is a new design you have to keep register space!
DA40/2.8 XS protrudes quite far and they had concepts for mirrorless cameras as the K-01 that protruded all the way to the shutter. I think you have misunderstood flange distance. It only says that the mount distance need to be the same as the lens was designed for, the lenses though can be designed to almost hit the sensors.
03-08-2015, 06:25 PM   #28
Pentaxian

I'm not talking about the DA 40mm XS, which can be used on DSLRs and doesn't actually protrude into the mount.
At CP+ 2012, they had a prototype K-mount lens designed to protrude into the mount enough to make it incompatible with a DSLR, you can see pictures of it here:
CP+ 2012 In Photos: Pentax Products - Giveaways and Events | PentaxForums.com
Direct link and a comparison with the DA 40mm XS:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/content/uploads/files/1/p408/CPPPentax08.jpg
Close-up:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/content/uploads/files/1/p408/CPPPentax09.jpg
03-08-2015, 06:36 PM   #29
Veteran Member

With a huge prism hump like that, I pray it'll have:
0.99x magnification with 100% coverage.

That would be a darn sweet body to mount my MF lenses. LoL!!
03-08-2015, 06:41 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I'm not talking about the DA 40mm XS, which can be used on DSLRs and doesn't actually protrude into the mount.
It was the careful first stem towards that design and the "XS" series, though not a full-fledged one.