Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-08-2015, 06:48 PM - 1 Like   #31
Lens Buying Addict

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It sounds like a fair interview, a well-written summary of the responses to the questions that matter to DPR and a good tactical move by Pentax. You certainly don't give DPR the first interview - that goes to Imaging Resource. But if you want them to take you seriously in the future, if you want to clarify their understanding of your brand strategy and how that differentiates you from other brands - if you want to control your message - you do exactly what Ricoh did. You answer the questions precisely the way you want them communicated, reveal what you want revealed, withhold what you don't want revealed, and see how they treat the information.

Of particular interest is the green-text commenting at the end. The writer clearly states information was given off-the-record and the write-up was edited and crafted to be informative without revealing privileged comments. That's a great way to test your interviewer - give something that isn't public but also isn't important and see what they do. Next time, if they behave, give a bit more. At the same time you make it clear DPR isn't getting any of the good stuff (the writer acknowledges Ricoh gave noting new). In the future, DPR, your access will depend on how you behave today!! Over time Ricoh can build a limited relationship with DPR, but Ricoh holds the cards, not DPR. The strong position is Ricoh's, not yours.

Ideally DPR will evaluate and comment on Ricoh and Pentax cameras without the typical qualifying statements, simply stating the strengths and weaknesses and letting buyers decide what to do. It will take time, but that's part of the long-term plan to develop Pentax. I am optimistic - frankly highly confident - Pentax will succeed as the alternative to Canon and Nikon.

Instead of lamenting Pentax is a camera for Pentax loyalists (or as DPR has done, say it's a nice camera for those weirdsmobiles but not for us) celebrate your loyal users - imply that they are discerning buyers who didn't fall into the trap of conformity. Feature the Pentax DNA - promise it will stay there!! Makes others think, "Hmmm. What is this special sauce those Pentaxians are so addicted to? What's the mystique?"

Can you see the hints of being a photographer's camera company? It's the image quality, not the gimmicky features, It's the images, stupid!! It's a mini-645Z!!

At the same time you attract consumers with your S lines - play off the mystique but give them their features!!

I can't wait to watch this develop - this is a great job of brand management.

DPR fell right into the trap.

Last edited by monochrome; 03-08-2015 at 06:56 PM.
03-08-2015, 08:15 PM   #32
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SyncGuy Quote
With a huge prism hump like that, I pray it'll have:
0.99x magnification with 100% coverage.

That would be a darn sweet body to mount my MF lenses. LoL!!
0.99x magnification would be such an amazing feature....
03-08-2015, 08:21 PM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SyncGuy Quote
With a huge prism hump like that, I pray it'll have: 0.99x magnification with 100% coverage.
that really isn't physically possible, unless they gave up the high eye point. And in any case with AF being such an established technology High magnification viewfinders aren't really needed as few people use manual focus enough to warrant the extra bulk of the larger prism needed for higher magnifications. Look at the viewfinder spects for the Canon 1 series cameras 100% at 0.76X magnification, that isn't much compared to a manual focus camera like the ME super which had a massive viewfinder.
03-08-2015, 08:25 PM   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
DPR fell right into the trap.
What trap is this?

03-08-2015, 09:40 PM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
What trap is this?
Being forced to say good things about Pentax. Being forced to communicate what Pentax was actually saying.
03-08-2015, 10:05 PM   #36
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
Being forced to say good things about Pentax. Being forced to communicate what Pentax was actually saying.
Thanks for the explanation. Doesn't DPR usually say good things about Pentax (other than they used to whine about JPG settings)? I see they gave the K-3 a "Gold Award" and ditto for all three of the K-5 permutations. I know the K-3 review took forever to come 'round, but sh*t happens...

Or is there some sort of animosity between DPR and Pentax that I'm not aware of? I admit that I sometimes go months without going beyond the front page there.
03-08-2015, 10:32 PM   #37
Pentaxian

Wow, this is the kind of communication that was missing from the old Pentax. It helps to build up an understanding of what the goals and decision process for its potential customers. Congratulations to Mr. Saiki.

I didn't particularly like Pentax's decision on mirrorless, but at least now we all know the company's future course, to some degree, and can make decisions accordingly. Oddly enough, I think we know more about Pentax's approach to mirrorless than we know of Canikon's approach. Canon had a lot of brave words about mirrorless for large sensors in 2015, but so far, no further information has materialized. These are tough decisions for these companies - no question.

One gets a sense that Ricoh has a plan for Pentax, and i find that reassuring.
03-09-2015, 01:04 AM   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Or is there some sort of animosity between DPR and Pentax that I'm not aware of? I admit that I sometimes go months without going beyond the front page there.
Lately, DPReview is seeing blinking LEDs everywhere, even in unrelated news. They're often mocking Pentax, something they won't dare to do with the more popular brands.

03-09-2015, 01:43 AM   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Instead of lamenting Pentax is a camera for Pentax loyalists (or as DPR has done, say it's a nice camera for those weirdsmobiles but not for us) celebrate your loyal users - imply that they are discerning buyers who didn't fall into the trap of conformity. Feature the Pentax DNA - promise it will stay there!! Makes others think, "Hmmm. What is this special sauce those Pentaxians are so addicted to? What's the mystique?"
Yes, but there has to be something real that differentiates them. To add to your analogy, not just plain mayonaise with a colour additive. Because then new enthusiasts that were attracted to the mystique would be disappointed. DPR is hard enough on Pentax already, they shouldn't be given a reason to get worse.
03-09-2015, 02:14 AM   #40
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by geomez Quote
I think the only part people have said the is big on the camera is the prism housing. Based on what he said, if there is a surprise that has yet to be revealed about the camera, it's probably hiding in that housing.
What if it's the hybrid EVF/OVF viewfinder then patented long ago and that has been discussed here every now and then? That would *really* be cool.
03-09-2015, 02:55 AM   #41
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
What if it's the hybrid EVF/OVF viewfinder then patented long ago and that has been discussed here every now and then? That would *really* be cool.
When I was writing that bit you quoted me on, that's exactly what I was thinking.
03-09-2015, 03:15 AM   #42
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
What would be the advantages of such a feature?
03-09-2015, 03:50 AM   #43
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
What would be the advantages of such a feature?
Use EVF whenever it is better (for instance EVF for video, and magnified with focus peaking for manual lenses), use OVF else.
03-09-2015, 07:07 AM   #44
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Lately, DPReview is seeing blinking LEDs everywhere, even in unrelated news. They're often mocking Pentax, something they won't dare to do with the more popular brands.
Sounds an awful lot like Pentax Forums. K-S1 and K-01 and Pentax offering a multitude of colors has drawn the ire and mockery of many members here.
03-09-2015, 07:14 AM   #45

Or EVF for information overlay semi-transparently (like the LED focus points) on top of the OVF. Things like over/under exposure areas (zebras) and focus peaking (with zoom to focus?), histograms/video scopes, crop area display & tuning, general shooting info, VF brightness boost, video playback... anything Google Glass could do...

I guess you could do traditional focus points too, except I'd make it tunable, so the actual area sensitive could be moved around a bit. Peaking makes it kind of pointless maybe.

I don't see why it couldn't be done right now, unless it throws metering off.

Of course some of these assume there is a high resolution RGB white balance/exposure sensor from which to get a live-view style image; sort of like having a mirrorless body but with the advantages of OVF. The secondary imaging sensor wouldn't need a resolution higher than the EVF display (or would it be 2x, thx to Nyquist?).

Anyway, sky (or battery) is the limit...

That's the main reason I'm not a big EVF fan today. In some settings I'm using the camera for hours on end, usually 12-18 hours. If I'm shooting a lot I do need to switch from the grip battery to the body battery. I leave the LCD off, except for the rare chimp. Now... a nice OLED might change my opinion, if it can run for hours and hours.

(edit: I see Gazonk beat me to it)