Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-08-2015, 09:18 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DPR Interview With Ricoh

CP+ 2015 Ricoh Imaging interview - full-frame DSLR may have 'something extra built-in': Digital Photography Review

QuoteQuote:
To be frank, we cannot disclose any more information. We've had a lot of enquiries after revealing the mockup, and the majority of people are saying that it looks small, but some are saying that it looks a little big. This might imply that there's something extra built-in. We haven't mentioned anything. Needless to say, our Pentax users know our DNA - they know what the core elements of Pentax technology are. We believe that this new product will meet the expectations of our loyal users.

Last edited by luftfluss; 03-08-2015 at 09:28 AM.
03-08-2015, 09:42 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Looks like Ricoh-Pentax has been doing the interview rounds with different people. I guess this is one way to keep the 'build-up' to the FF to keep going until its release
03-08-2015, 10:09 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The smth extra might well be the large sensor pixel shift tech. Looking at the K3 AF performance with F/FA (long)telephoto,lenses it's clear to me that SDM was never designed to keep up with the Safox XI, I'm glad they're finally designing telephoto lenses with AF performance in mind

Props for not giving Dpreview any scoops, suck it Dpreview and your late coverage of Pentax products ( you demand a free K3 for your reviews because you're established? I don't think so, you have to cough up the dough and buy your own like everyone else)

Last edited by Stavri; 03-08-2015 at 12:15 PM.
03-08-2015, 10:32 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Stavri Quote
The smth extra might well be the large sensor pixel shift tech.
I think Ricoh said in one of their interviews that that's something they had been working on but then abandoned because it didn't deliver the results they were expecting, at least in terms of increasing the resolution like Olympus does.

03-08-2015, 11:12 AM - 4 Likes   #5

I like Mr Saiki's hair. I think Pentax spokesmen/execs have better hair than the other camera companies.
03-08-2015, 11:33 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jeff knight Quote
I like Mr Saiki's hair. I think Pentax spokesmen/execs have better hair than the other camera companies.
Good call, this is the only new thing I learned from the interview.

Bravo to Pentax for reaching out to their loyal fans with this FF release.
03-08-2015, 11:55 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
I think Ricoh said in one of their interviews that that's something they had been working on but then abandoned because it didn't deliver the results they were expecting, at least in terms of increasing the resolution like Olympus does.
With a one pixel shift, they don't increase resolution - frankly, 24 Mpix on an APS-C is already so high that trying a 4 * 24 = 96 Mpix super resolution seems meaningless : the lens itself will limit resolution.
Their idea is to simulate a foveon-like sensor with a bayer matrix sensor. This may improve color accuracy and suppress moiré.

03-08-2015, 11:59 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I do not understand about mirroless.

"Mirrorless has an advantage in terms of compactness, but a mirrorless K-mount camera could not use existing lenses. The mount could be the same but the lens designs should be different. So that's not good for existing Pentax users."

I understand that the flange focal distance for K mount is too large for a compact camera. But why do it need another design?
Others use the old Pentax lenses on another brand mirrorless cameras without problems.
03-08-2015, 12:02 PM   #9
Pentaxian

A couple of things I picked up from that interview.

I think eventually a dedicated crop camera (IE the K3) will be replaced by the FF. I am pretty sure that Pentax will continue to make crop cameras too but for "high end" performance the new FF will be it. In other words the line up is evolving and the K3 will probably be out of the line up within the next year or two.

I am glad that Mr. Saiki not only acknowledged the existing base of loyal Pentax users but he also went to great lengths to say that what they make will have us in mind. I took away that they are going to try and be loyal back to us. That answers a whole lot of questions if you ask me.

I liked the interview quite a lot actually.
03-08-2015, 12:03 PM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

They have really forgotten K-01 concept : too bad....
03-08-2015, 12:14 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by edri Quote
I do not understand about mirroless.

"Mirrorless has an advantage in terms of compactness, but a mirrorless K-mount camera could not use existing lenses. The mount could be the same but the lens designs should be different. So that's not good for existing Pentax users."

I understand that the flange focal distance for K mount is too large for a compact camera. But why do it need another design?
Possibly he means that the existing mount itself - the ring and contacts, if you will - could stay the same, but the flange focal distance itself would need to change, so existing lenses would need an adapter or extender to work.
QuoteOriginally posted by edri Quote
Others use the old Pentax lenses on another brand mirrorless cameras without problems.
03-08-2015, 12:19 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think they can make a mirrorless system work, same K-mount, new flange to sensor distance, a good AF adapter for legacy glass like the one Sony uses on older Konica glass so they can make these mirrorless people happy. I personally am of the camp who thinks the K3 is not big enough (I still love my k10D/20D bodies) that's why I carry mine with a grip everywhere I go. Do i need the grip, of course not, does it look manly absolutely.

Last edited by Stavri; 03-08-2015 at 12:38 PM.
03-08-2015, 12:19 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Or the lens could protrude inside the mount, like that prototype which never made into production.
In any case, it doesn't make sense (on the long term) to have a mirrorless line while keeping the empty space now required for the OVF's mirror.
03-08-2015, 12:29 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A retractable mount could be a solution for the SLR/ML register distance. A engineer's tour de force, but feasible, i guess.
03-08-2015, 12:31 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Or the lens could protrude inside the mount, like that prototype which never made into production.
In any case, it doesn't make sense (on the long term) to have a mirrorless line while keeping the empty space now required for the OVF's mirror.
That of course doesn't address the 20,000,000 lenses they talk about in the interview. It wouldn't be good for loyal users . . . . .