Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2015, 07:25 AM   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
DA40/2.8 XS protrudes quite far and they had concepts for mirrorless cameras as the K-01 that protruded all the way to the shutter. I think you have misunderstood flange distance. It only says that the mount distance need to be the same as the lens was designed for, the lenses though can be designed to almost hit the sensors.
Do you mean this protruding ??

Attached Images

03-09-2015, 07:32 AM   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RuiC Quote
Do you mean this protruding ??
No, Rui. That one:
03-09-2015, 07:37 AM   #48
Veteran Member

Ricoh has to do something to improve the OVF. There are too many advantages of the EVF and the technology of the EVF has become very good. I really don't notice the EVF on the A7m2 once I start shooting. My focus is on my subject and composition and I don't even think about EVF/OVF.

Ricoh needs to develop a body that can automatically calibrate the lens or perform micro-AF adjustments automatically. Back/front focusing shouldn't be an issue with today's technology. They need to really improve the integration of the body and lenses which will drive people to buy more Pentax glass.
03-09-2015, 07:48 AM - 2 Likes   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Why are we giving so much airtime to a interview that feels loaded with bias against Ricoh / Pentax? The Image-Resource is a better more complete interview full stop!

03-09-2015, 08:02 AM   #50
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Ricoh has to do something to improve the OVF. There are too many advantages of the EVF and the technology of the EVF has become very good. I really don't notice the EVF on the A7m2 once I start shooting. My focus is on my subject and composition and I don't even think about EVF/OVF.

Ricoh needs to develop a body that can automatically calibrate the lens or perform micro-AF adjustments automatically. Back/front focusing shouldn't be an issue with today's technology. They need to really improve the integration of the body and lenses which will drive people to buy more Pentax glass.
Ricoh has a ways to go before the breadth of their technology (in all major areas) is on par with their major competition, but given the advances they've made the last two years it seems they are aware and working toward that goal.

EVF/OVF seems to be a preference, not a necessity. Personally, when I try one of the Sony EVF's in a store I'm not able to ignore the sense that I'm looking at a tiny television. There are just too many disadvantages to EVF to make them acceptable to me. If I need all the overlay information I'm quite comfortable using LiveView, but I really don't need all the info very often. Given that the supposed advantages of EVF aren't useful to me and the disadvantages are so readily annoying I still prefer a passive viewfinder experience.

Just me, I know, but then I'm the one buying the camera I want.
03-09-2015, 08:08 AM   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If I'm to read between the line of Mr. Saiki is saying it seems that the energy demands of the EVF do not justify the size benefits. According to CIPA (50% flash use) rules Sony A7r battery life through EVF use is between 270-340, while the K3 seem to be 560 (Samsung NX1 has a rating of 500 but that not a small dslr) I know the mirrorless is a new tech, but when you factor heat generation and its complexity I'd doubt it would have the ruggedness and longevity of a good old fashion pentaprism camera. If I'm coughing up upwards of 2 grand I'd like my camera to last me longer than 2-3 years.
03-09-2015, 08:15 AM   #52
Pentaxian

And what about durability and/or planned obsolescence with EVFs ?

03-09-2015, 08:16 AM   #53
Pentaxian

To be fair, I'm not sure the A7r has a battery of comparable capacity next to the K-3.
In real world though, your argument is still valid.

---------- Post added 09-03-15 at 16:18 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
And what about durability and/or planned obsolescence with EVFs ?
C'mon, stop the provocative argument.
My SLR mirror is busted too although... that may be an old MV from a flee market and really not taken care of (I was pursuing the M50/1.7)

03-09-2015, 08:27 AM   #54
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by robbiec Quote
Why are we giving so much airtime to a interview that feels loaded with bias against Ricoh / Pentax? The Image-Resource is a better more complete interview full stop!
I think it is a fine interview. Doesn't seem to be particularly anti-Pentax, but it doesn't have any information we don't already know, either.

Weird thing is that everyone seems to focus on mirrorless. Pentax has made it clear that they aren't going mirrorless any time soon. They think the point of mirrorless is to have tiny cameras and so Q-ish type cameras are the way to go, while when you get a big enough sensor (APS-C/full frame) there really isn't that much space savings. I think that made that point pretty effectively with the K-S1 which has, by all accounts, a very nice OVF but isn't significantly bigger than a lot of current mirrorless options, particularly once you start factoring in lenses.

Maybe mirrorless and EVFs are the way of the future, but they haven't captured the imaginations of photographers the way I think folks thought they would have by now.
03-09-2015, 09:10 AM   #55
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The main advantage of EVF as far as I can make out is to have instant information while viewing composition, i.e show a live histogram as an overlay or show exposure clipping. FF mirrorless for size and weight advantage is lunacy as as you correctly stated, a comparable lens will dwarf the body and degrade ergonomics for effective hand holding of camera and lens combo. I don't think EVF is quite there yet as a replacement for an Optical Viewfinder from a resolution and energy use perspective but what do I know , I use a crop sensor camera so that means I am only a complete amateur, my lenses are too noisy or don't have the maximum sharpness expected in 2015, my favoured system is so left field that we have a thread discussing how rare we are!
03-09-2015, 09:17 AM   #56
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
No, Rui. That one:
thibs, but that's not the DA40/2.8 XS (it's a completely unrelated lens).
03-09-2015, 09:20 AM   #57
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

People complain about HSM draining the power of their Dslrs, the K-01 screw drive not being powerful enough etc. Those who shoot mirrorless know the shortcomings of using SLR/DSLR lenses on their system. The tech hasn't mature yet, perhaps a whole different ecosystem is needed to make them perform better, we'll have to wait and see.
03-09-2015, 09:26 AM   #58
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I'm the one buying the camera I want.
And everyone that buys a camera is an individual as well. Mirrorless cameras have one benefit that DSLRs don't and that's extreme compactness, able to fit in a pocket. Putting an interchangeable lens on most mirrorless cameras negates that compactness benefit. The most useful compact mirrorless cameras are being given away for free with phones. That market is going strong. DSLRs have one benefit that mirrorless cameras don't and that's an optical viewfinder. So, if an individual buying a camera can accept one that is at least as large as the smallest DSLR on the market, and would like to use an optical viewfinder at least once in a while, then that individual will probably be happiest with a DSLR. Unfortunately for the manufacturers of DSLRs, most individuals in the first world who want a DSLR already have one, so the market for DSLRs isn't going strong.

Those are the only two exclusive features of DSLRs and mirrorless cameras; sensor and lens technology is interchangeable, although there isn't a pocketable MILC that can offer the IQ capability of DSLRs, so the compactness benefit of MILCs comes with a big caveat. Perhaps at some point in the future there will be a sensor compact enough to use lenses small enough for the whole assembly to fit in the pocket of tight jeans, while still offering the shallow depth of field and IQ that camera enthusiasts want; and if a manufacturer can somehow fit a free phone into that compact MILC, they might have a hit. But in the meantime, the MILC market is going to consist primarily of photography enthusiasts who will give up the benefit of an optical viewfinder in order to have something different from the existing base of DSLR owners. There were 3 million MILCs sold in 2014, so there is a market for them, but once that market is sated, it is highly unlikely that sales will remain at that level. Sony has already decided that it isn't worth their while to invest in growing their MILC business, so while a smaller player might differentiate itself enough to maintain a profitable business in MILCs, the war is over.
03-09-2015, 09:53 AM   #59
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

Luckily for Pentax there's a bunch of us still out there that get motionsickness from most EVFs.
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
thibs, but that's not the DA40/2.8 XS (it's a completely unrelated lens).
Though the XS was the one supposed to kickstart the new lineup.
03-09-2015, 09:59 AM   #60
Veteran Member

As to Sony battery life, discussed below, Sony's been using the same small battery in all their e-mount cameras, Nex and A7's alike. There's a 3rd party brand that works well and they're as available as popcorn. Been using them since 2011 and haven't had any failures, I would hope that if Pentax went to an EVF model, they would keep their much larger battery.

As to evfs and milcs, they are only 1/4 to 1/3 the market size in units of DSLRs. But i'll bet Canikon really wish they could have those sales back in their arena. It would mean a lot less contraction for their operations. In 2014, the currency value of those MILCs went up a lot faster than unit sales. That can only mean that Sony's high priced FF milc are selling really really well - since their aps sized cameras are selling cheap.

Pentax doesn't want to compete in the MILC market (except for Q)? I don't know if that is the right thing for Pentax as a company or not- the retail market is too hard for me to figure out My opinion is that Sony was going nowhere when they were in the DSLR business - now in the MILC market - they own the biggest share.