Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2015, 12:23 PM   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
So about the DFAs: (keep in mind I could only play for 5 minutes)

* AF is... well, if you're used to Pentax AF, you can say hello to Star Trek era. It almost feels science fiction lol. Faaaaast. Really.

* Did I say those things were fast?
Hello!

Nice review!

You own a 50-135mm. Me too :-)
Will you say the new 70-200 focus faster than the 50-135 on a K_3? did you try with moving subject?

03-09-2015, 01:49 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JanG Quote
Did you try the Sigma 150-600 (BTW: which, Sport or Contempory?) on a Sigma body? That would not be a fair comparison as Sigma cams are well known for their slow focussing speed.

Nevertheless, thanks for the very interesting report.
He said he used it on a nikon.
03-09-2015, 01:54 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
Yep, Nikon body. I dunno about contemporary or otherwise but it was as big and thick as the DFAs. Just appeared quite slower.

---------- Post added 09-03-15 at 21:55 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Black_Wizards Quote
Hello!

Nice review!

You own a 50-135mm. Me too :-)
Will you say the new 70-200 focus faster than the 50-135 on a K_3? did you try with moving subject?
No suitable way to test a moving subject but it focussed WAY faster than a 50-135 on a K-5. That I can say.

---------- Post added 09-03-15 at 21:58 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by aoeu Quote
If FA or F lenses turn out to suck at Pentax Full Frame Pentax is Doomed.
No way. If Ricoh pulls out primes the same way they did with DFAs, they'll be just fine.
We won't though 'cos we'll be broke.
03-09-2015, 02:39 PM   #19

Photos: Gallery
* those were working samples (but definitely looked finalized)
* I'm not used to big lenses but... those are HUGE piece of glass. And heavy of course. Guys with little hands, you will suffer
* as for mechanical feeling/construction, my 50-135 really feels almost cheap. No way comparable.
* balance is alright on a K-3 without grip (expected). With grip, it should be perfect.
* the tripod attachment looked VERY sturdy to me. I handled the combo just with the attachment moving it a bit and I could not create some play.
* AF is... well, if you're used to Pentax AF, you can say hello to Star Trek era. It almost feels science fiction lol. Faaaaast. Really.
I also tried Sigma 150-600 (I think it was a Nikon D800) @ 600 (not fair I know) and it felt pedestrian in comparison.
* Manual focus seemed to me demultiplied so it was a bit difficult to focus (couldn't do it very fast because demultiplied) but precise it certainly was. Of course this is without the limiter.
* 150-450 buttons were not usable.

As a comparison of feeling/size/weight, the only comparison within Pentax/Ricoh is the DA645 28-45. Very close. And yes, the 645Z was available for trying with multiple lenses (all stupidly small compared to the 28-45).

FF expected oct/nov 2015.
Tried the GR which is way smaller and lighter than expected. If only it had a 35mm...

Didn't take pictures of DFAs but 645Z and 28-45 for size comparison purposes. Will update the post later.

Hope it helps.

PS: Guys, Ricoh is serious. Really. My left arm still feels it

Thanks very much.
I guess Pentax/Richo want to move up the * lenses a step higher, at lest for the DFA lenses (DFA 150-450 is probably more advanced than the DA *60-250).
Are you there tomorrow too? Can you try DFA 150-450 with Pentax 1,4X converter and see how autofocus works? that would be great.
I guess you tried Sigma 150-600 Sport, not con?
But Sigma is cheaper to(but not easier to carry).
Yes, GR is for your pocket, this DFA lenses is for your Sherpa.

03-09-2015, 02:44 PM   #20
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi all. As I said I would write what I can, mainly about Pentax (of course).
I will edit the post if I recall anything later.

I did not have any meeting or else, I don't think I would be granted on either but:

I didn't see any K-S1 (not that I looked for it). K-S2 was all over the place ans so was the K-3. K50 was shown too.
FF 3D model was there (under glass). I did not see any "serious lens" or DFAs so kindly asked. The (very nice) guy didn't expect that, it seems but asked me to get back about an hour later 'cos the lenses were used/shown by a colleague in a meeting behind closed doors. I thought that was it but.. when I came back later he apologized, told me to wait and gave me both DFAs to try ("quickly, 5 minutes, my colleague still need them").

* I'm not used to big lenses but... those are HUGE piece of glass. And heavy of course. Guys with little hands, you will suffer
* as for mechanical feeling/construction, my 50-135 really feels almost cheap. No way comparable.
* balance is alright on a K-3 without grip (expected). With grip, it should be perfect.
* the tripod attachment looked VERY sturdy to me. I handled the combo just with the attachment moving it a bit and I could not create some play.
I also tried Sigma 150-600 (I think it was a Nikon D800) @ 600 (not fair I know) and it felt pedestrian in comparison.
* Manual focus seemed to me demultiplied so it was a bit difficult to focus (couldn't do it very fast because demultiplied) but precise it certainly was. Of course this is without the limiter.

As a comparison of feeling/size/weight, the only comparison within Pentax/Ricoh is the DA645 28-45. Very close. And yes, the 645Z was available for trying with multiple lenses (all stupidly small compared to the 28-45).

Tried the GR which is way smaller and lighter than expected. If only it had a 35mm...

Didn't take pictures of DFAs but 645Z and 28-45 for size comparison purposes. Will update the post later.

Hope it helps.

EDIT: on the EVF subject, I tried Olys cams and XT1. XT1 was annoying but usable. Olys felt to me like old screens from VHS camcorders from 30 years ago: flickering and half a second late. XT1 is very usable for 2 minutes. After it gets annoying. Slowly... maybe in 2-3 years time EVF will become really usable. Maybe.
Does it work with LEGACY lenses? Focussing motor onboard?

Cheers,
Cameron
03-09-2015, 02:57 PM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
Heck, yeah, I knew I needed reading glasses. Now you know it, too...
03-09-2015, 03:01 PM - 4 Likes   #22
Site Supporter

Hi all. As I said I would write what I can, mainly about Pentax (of course).
I will edit the post if I recall anything later.

I did not have any meeting or else, I don't think I would be granted on either but:

I didn't see any K-S1 (not that I looked for it). K-S2 was all over the place ans so was the K-3. K50 was shown too.
FF 3D model was there (under glass). I did not see any "serious lens" or DFAs so kindly asked. The (very nice) guy didn't expect that, it seems but asked me to get back about an hour later 'cos the lenses were used/shown by a colleague in a meeting behind closed doors. I thought that was it but.. when I came back later he apologized, told me to wait and gave me both DFAs to try ("quickly, 5 minutes, my colleague still need them").

Hope it helps.

EDIT: on the EVF subject, I tried Olys cams and XT1. XT1 was annoying but usable. Olys felt to me like old screens from VHS camcorders from 30 years ago: flickering and half a second late. XT1 is very usable for 2 minutes. After it gets annoying. Slowly... maybe in 2-3 years time EVF will become really usable. Maybe.
I second your thoughts on the two lenses. I had a chance to try them at WPPI in Las Vegas last week. They are BIG and a lot faster than the 60-250 and the 50-135 I had tried before. The zoom ring was very tight on the 150-450. I guess the final production unit is going to be better or it just loosens up over time.

Couple of thoughts, off subject a little bit but worth noting. WPPI is attended by almost 13,000 photo professionals most of them working pros. Two years ago, Ricoh was in the secondary hall, in some obscure corner, barely visible. Starting last year they showed up big with 645D and some DSLR lenses and gear in the main hall. This year they showed up even bigger but only with the 645Z and the entire 645 lens line up (lenses behind glass though). The buzz of the show was the Ricoh/Pentax booth which was refreshing to see.

BTW, in previous years they send their marketing guy to manage and mingle with people at the booth. This year the head honcho, the main guy responsible for Ricoh/Pentax imaging for the US showed up and managed things. Anytime any company sends their head honcho, they mean business! It felt good to see my camera and its company booth be the buzz of the show.

Almost forgot to mention, Ricoh raffled off three 645Zs with a 55mm lens. One for each day of the show. Bummer I did not win any of them. In all my years of attending shows, no camera company or any company for that matter has given away almost $30k worth of merchandise. Now tell me they are not serious!!

Last edited by btnapa; 03-09-2015 at 03:07 PM. Reason: addition
03-09-2015, 03:29 PM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by btnapa Quote
Ricoh raffled off three 645Zs with a 55mm lens
Impressive!

03-09-2015, 07:29 PM   #24
Pentaxian

A simple word. WOW
03-09-2015, 07:34 PM   #25
Pentaxian

nah, Pentax is doomed.
03-09-2015, 08:32 PM - 1 Like   #26
Lens Buying Addict

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The capacity of certain posters to seek reasons to express pessimism is truly astonishing. It has to be brain chemistry or something.
03-09-2015, 11:12 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Cambo Quote
Does it work with LEGACY lenses? Focussing motor onboard?

Cheers,
Cameron
Didn't get it. What should work with what? Sorry.

---------- Post added 10-03-15 at 07:14 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Bophoto Quote
Thanks very much.
I guess Pentax/Richo want to move up the * lenses a step higher, at lest for the DFA lenses (DFA 150-450 is probably more advanced than the DA *60-250).
Are you there tomorrow too? Can you try DFA 150-450 with Pentax 1,4X converter and see how autofocus works? that would be great.
I guess you tried Sigma 150-600 Sport, not con?
But Sigma is cheaper to(but not easier to carry).
Yes, GR is for your pocket, this DFA lenses is for your Sherpa.
Unfortunately, the show was saturday/sunday so no, I can't. There was no converter in sight btw.
03-10-2015, 01:01 AM   #28
Pentaxian

The reported AF speed for these new lenses raises the question of what we might expect from the AF system in the forthcoming 35FF body. We'll know in due course, but if the new drive system in the lenses is significantly faster than the K-3 body is capable of delivering, the prospect of a leap forward in speed of tracking and focus finding in the new body has to be greater. That should be a drawcard for several members here, who've been wanting such a capability for some time. Each new body in the past couple of years has delivered faster and more accurate AF, so it's clearly possible in every new Pentax body, now.
03-10-2015, 02:49 AM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
The reported AF speed for these new lenses raises the question of what we might expect from the AF system in the forthcoming 35FF body. We'll know in due course, but if the new drive system in the lenses is significantly faster than the K-3 body is capable of delivering, the prospect of a leap forward in speed of tracking and focus finding in the new body has to be greater. That should be a drawcard for several members here, who've been wanting such a capability for some time. Each new body in the past couple of years has delivered faster and more accurate AF, so it's clearly possible in every new Pentax body, now.
I seem to remember Ricoh stating in a recent interview that the current AF speed bottle neck was the current lenses and not the K-3 body. And that the two new DFA lenses would be the first to exploit the full speed the K-3 is capable of. That would imply the AF improvement has already been implemented in the K-3. Which doesn't mean there won't be incremental improvements of course.

Wim
03-10-2015, 03:28 AM   #30
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
I seem to remember Ricoh stating in a recent interview that the current AF speed bottle neck was the current lenses and not the K-3 body. And that the two new DFA lenses would be the first to exploit the full speed the K-3 is capable of. That would imply the AF improvement has already been implemented in the K-3. Which doesn't mean there won't be incremental improvements of course.

Wim
I'm not sure about the interview but I can definitely say that the K-3 tracking can only be faster with DFAs than with SDM lenses (and probably screwdriven lenses). I dunno how much but the K-3 + DFAs I tried was really much more responsive than K-5 + 50-135.
Will it be sufficient for sports tracking la Canon though... I'm frankly not in position to say, either way.