Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2015, 07:02 AM - 13 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Report from Brussels Imaging Days (--> DFAs)

Hi all. As I said I would write what I can, mainly about Pentax (of course).
I will edit the post if I recall anything later.

I did not have any meeting or else, I don't think I would be granted on either but:

I didn't see any K-S1 (not that I looked for it). K-S2 was all over the place ans so was the K-3. K50 was shown too.
FF 3D model was there (under glass). I did not see any "serious lens" or DFAs so kindly asked. The (very nice) guy didn't expect that, it seems but asked me to get back about an hour later 'cos the lenses were used/shown by a colleague in a meeting behind closed doors. I thought that was it but.. when I came back later he apologized, told me to wait and gave me both DFAs to try ("quickly, 5 minutes, my colleague still need them").

So about the DFAs: (keep in mind I could only play for 5 minutes)

* those were working samples (but definitely looked finalized)
* I'm not used to big lenses but... those are HUGE piece of glass. And heavy of course. Guys with little hands, you will suffer
* as for mechanical feeling/construction, my 50-135 really feels almost cheap. No way comparable.
* balance is alright on a K-3 without grip (expected). With grip, it should be perfect.
* the tripod attachment looked VERY sturdy to me. I handled the combo just with the attachment moving it a bit and I could not create some play.
* AF is... well, if you're used to Pentax AF, you can say hello to Star Trek era. It almost feels science fiction lol. Faaaaast. Really.
I also tried Sigma 150-600 (I think it was a Nikon D800) @ 600 (not fair I know) and it felt pedestrian in comparison.
* Manual focus seemed to me demultiplied so it was a bit difficult to focus (couldn't do it very fast because demultiplied) but precise it certainly was. Of course this is without the limiter.
* 150-450 buttons were not usable.
* Did I say those things were fast?

As a comparison of feeling/size/weight, the only comparison within Pentax/Ricoh is the DA645 28-45. Very close. And yes, the 645Z was available for trying with multiple lenses (all stupidly small compared to the 28-45).

FF expected oct/nov 2015.
Tried the GR which is way smaller and lighter than expected. If only it had a 35mm...

Didn't take pictures of DFAs but 645Z and 28-45 for size comparison purposes. Will update the post later.

Hope it helps.

PS: Guys, Ricoh is serious. Really. My left arm still feels it

EDIT: on the EVF subject, I tried Olys cams and XT1. XT1 was annoying but usable. Olys felt to me like old screens from VHS camcorders from 30 years ago: flickering and half a second late. XT1 is very usable for 2 minutes. After it gets annoying. Slowly... maybe in 2-3 years time EVF will become really usable. Maybe.

03-09-2015, 07:13 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks. I'm sure many of us are eager to hear about the new long zoom, it's long overdue. I'm glad Ricoh is pushing forward, they seem to be doing most things right.
03-09-2015, 08:24 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
EDIT: on the EVF subject, I tried Olys cams and XT1. XT1 was annoying but usable. Olys felt to me like old screens from VHS camcorders from 30 years ago: flickering and half a second late. XT1 is very usable for 2 minutes. After it gets annoying. Slowly... maybe in 2-3 years time EVF will become really usable. Maybe.
I found this on all EVFs and live-view operations BUT with my K-01 during last Salon de la Photo in Paris.
EVFs and standard oled screens are just headache givers under artificial light.
03-09-2015, 08:30 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Thank you for the report.
* AF is... well, if you're used to Pentax AF, you can say hello to Star Trek era. It almost feels science fiction lol. Faaaaast. Really.
Yay!!! This is good news.
Hopefully all new Pentax glass in future will give the same experience.

03-09-2015, 08:48 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Thank you for the report.

Yay!!! This is good news.
Hopefully all new Pentax glass in future will give the same experience.
You're welcome.
I hope so but IMO we may first get those AF motors only in high end DFAs.
It will trickle down quickly hopefully.
03-09-2015, 09:08 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Tx for your report Thibs!! Much appreciated. Sorry I couldn't make it, but I decided against it after I got a mail from Ricoh that my mail inquiring whether the DFA's would be present would be deferred to the person responsible and no further answer came. Too busy I guess?

Anyway, I went out taking pictures on a beautiful Sunday (finally testing my new Samyang 16/2 and Venus 60/2.8), afterwards enjoying a Westmalle Tripel in the sun while you tested... ;-)

grtz, Wim
03-09-2015, 09:16 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
Tx for your report Thibs!! Much appreciated. Sorry I couldn't make it, but I decided against it after I got a mail from Ricoh that my mail inquiring whether the DFA's would be present would be deferred to the person responsible and no further answer came. Too busy I guess?

Anyway, I went out taking pictures on a beautiful Sunday (finally testing my new Samyang 16/2 and Venus 60/2.8), afterwards enjoying a Westmalle Tripel in the sun while you tested... ;-)

grtz, Wim
That's all fine.
Couple weeks ago I brewed my own beer for the first time. Somehow I'd do every weekend. Wonder why

03-09-2015, 09:43 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I also tried Sigma 150-600 (I think it was a Nikon D800) @ 600 (not fair I know) and it felt pedestrian in comparison.

* Did I say those things were fast?
You have made this sports photographer very happy.
03-09-2015, 10:30 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by WillWeaverRVA Quote
You have made this sports photographer very happy.
Well I hope reality will confirm my feeling.
I certainly can't compare directly with Canikon. No experience there.
03-09-2015, 10:43 AM   #10
Pentaxian

* 150-450 buttons were not usable
maybe because the firmware of the k3 wasn't updated yet for the new buttons
03-09-2015, 11:39 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Franc Quote
maybe because the firmware of the k3 wasn't updated yet for the new buttons
I'm pretty sure this is the reason but I knew some of you guys would ask about it so...
03-09-2015, 11:51 AM   #12
Veteran Member

PS: Guys, Ricoh is serious. Really. .
That is what i've been saying from day one. New times ahead! Thank you for the report. Interesting to read
03-09-2015, 12:01 PM   #13
Veteran Member

If FA or F lenses turn out to suck at Pentax Full Frame Pentax is Doomed.

Teh FF might need three crop possibilities. New lenses, FF designed lenses barely beyond shake reduction, and DA lenses.

The three cases are not the same.
03-09-2015, 12:04 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Exciting news!
03-09-2015, 12:20 PM   #15

Did you try the Sigma 150-600 (BTW: which, Sport or Contempory?) on a Sigma body? That would not be a fair comparison as Sigma cams are well known for their slow focussing speed.

Nevertheless, thanks for the very interesting report.