Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-09-2008, 03:54 AM   #16
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by BrendanPK Quote
how about a 600 that is weather sealed to matched the weather sealed bodies!
also the addition of a 5th battery would be nice, the 540 already is good on power, just needs faster recycle times
I know I would buy ONE (I have 3 540's now) if it came out with the above listed (or atleast sealing and faster recycle.
Would also love to see a wireless commander module (better/stronger than the built-in flash
Why would you need a weather sealed flash for? The only time that I use my flash outdoors is when there is too much direct sunlight (and therefore shadows).

I can imagine that there are a few more situations where you could use it, but it does not look like a big selling argument to me!

06-09-2008, 09:15 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That looks JUST RIGHT! I have heard mention of Digital Concepts, but never found one.

So -- where to get it? I'm in Canada, I've never seen RIVA or DC anywhere around.

Is there a good source nearby in the U.S.? There's Ritz Camera in Buffalo, plus indie stores like Delaware Camera.

Someone please point me to an easy retail source for a cheap P-TTL flash in Toronto or Buffalo!
06-09-2008, 10:07 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Looking around it seems that the Riva/Lexus SB3000 is found in Singapore? Hmmm.... work has an office in Singapore... maybe I can get someone over there to get me a copy and send it to me......
06-09-2008, 12:06 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by filmamigo Quote
That looks JUST RIGHT! I have heard mention of Digital Concepts, but never found one.

So -- where to get it? I'm in Canada, I've never seen RIVA or DC anywhere around.

Is there a good source nearby in the U.S.? There's Ritz Camera in Buffalo, plus indie stores like Delaware Camera.

Someone please point me to an easy retail source for a cheap P-TTL flash in Toronto or Buffalo!
It's also sold as Soligor DG-420 Z, Sakar / Digital Concepts 952AF/PEN, Dörr D-AF42, and perhaps other names too.

06-10-2008, 01:12 PM   #20
Veteran Member

First and foremost - the current prices they charge for the Pentax flash units is freaking highway robbery! No hot-shoe flash unit is worth that much money, period..

It needs to have bounce, swivel, and be weatherproof. And for crike's sake, eliminate the damn quality problems. You mean to say that Pentax can build a Grand Prix winning camera but can't build a quality flash at a good price? Give me a break!
06-10-2008, 01:17 PM   #21
Veteran Member

and.. the digital concepts goes for 200, from the search i just did on froogle. how can they mark a 70 dollar flash up to 200??
06-10-2008, 10:09 PM   #22

QuoteOriginally posted by HermanLee Quote
Will Pentax release new Flash model pretty soon?
Anybody hear rumors/new about this?

I've been debating whether I should get the 540 or wait until Photokina.
Hi Herman,

Maybe .... Pentax (Canada) has announced two(2) price drops on AF540FGZ within
the last couple of weeks and, heck, I probably would have replaced my beaten up
AF360FGZ if they hadn't dropped the price of the K200D (again) so guess where
my money went

Cheers,

Jack

06-10-2008, 10:31 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom M Quote
First and foremost - the current prices they charge for the Pentax flash units is freaking highway robbery! No hot-shoe flash unit is worth that much money, period..

It needs to have bounce, swivel, and be weatherproof. And for crike's sake, eliminate the damn quality problems. You mean to say that Pentax can build a Grand Prix winning camera but can't build a quality flash at a good price? Give me a break!
AFAIK it is priced at at about he price other main manufacturers do price their high end flashes.

I know ther's the "pin locked" hot shoe problem but apart from that, is there any significant problem?

Of course 3rd party have better value, otherwise they wouldn't exist. But that the same for Nikon/sony/Canon/Oly.
06-11-2008, 03:08 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Pentax AF-200FG

I couldn't guess if this is new or old news within this thread, so here it goes...

Pentax released their new Pentax AF-200FG flash
Pentax Imaging: AF-200FG - Flashes - Cameras by Pentax

My German mag says, selling for 130€ incl. 19% VAT in Germany.
06-11-2008, 10:28 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jack_Simpson Quote
Hi Herman,

Maybe .... Pentax (Canada) has announced two(2) price drops on AF540FGZ within
the last couple of weeks and, heck, I probably would have replaced my beaten up
AF360FGZ if they hadn't dropped the price of the K200D (again) so guess where
my money went

Cheers,

Jack
Well, that's a new thing.
I haven't seen much price drop for 540 here in US.
But maybe you're right, there might be a new replacement for this 540.
Thanks, Jack.

Anybody else has this kind of supporting info for the new Pentax flash?
06-11-2008, 11:45 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
I couldn't guess if this is new or old news within this thread, so here it goes...

Pentax released their new Pentax AF-200FG flash
Pentax Imaging: AF-200FG - Flashes - Cameras by Pentax

My German mag says, selling for 130€ incl. 19% VAT in Germany.
I have tried the 200, its ok, only ok.
If I was on a trip I may carry it as a back-up but its limited in functions. If it has an AF-assist and wireless control and more like the nikon 400 with a bounce head and more overall control.
Good enough for a start-off that only has a kit lens etc, better/stronger than the built in but not much more advantage
06-11-2008, 01:11 PM   #27
Inactive Account

Hi all

Re Tom M's comment:

QuoteQuote:
The current prices they charge for the Pentax flash units is freaking highway robbery! No hot-shoe flash unit is worth that much money, period..
....and.....

OniFactor's quandary:

QuoteQuote:
The digital concepts goes for 200.......How can they mark a 70 dollar flash up to 200 ??
Put simply, the process of 'marking-up' is generally referred to as CAPITALISM !! The rules are fairly simple, really.......set up a manufacturing plant in some g*d-forsaken country in the far east where labour-rates are dirt cheap and unions are non-existant, then knock out products for very little dough, add a nice fat juicy mark-up (say between 100% - 300% profit) and then flog your products through a network of wholesale distributors (yet more mark-up !!) until the goods eventually reach unsuspecting well-heeled westerners, who quite clearly have more money than sense.......which obviously means YOU....yes YOU sir, at the back of the room, with the bulging wallet !!!! Then having accumulated all those millions, sit back & relax on your luxurious Sunseeker Yacht, whilst the Skipper sets course for your luxury villa in the Caribbean....LOL !! Cheers.....

Best regards
Richard

Last edited by Confused; 06-11-2008 at 04:20 PM.
06-11-2008, 05:12 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Confused Quote
Put simply, the process of 'marking-up' is generally referred to as CAPITALISM !! The rules are fairly simple, really.......set up a manufacturing plant in some g*d-forsaken country in the far east where labour-rates are dirt cheap and unions are non-existant, then knock out products for very little dough, add a nice fat juicy mark-up (say between 100% - 300% profit) and then flog your products through a network of wholesale distributors (yet more mark-up !!) until the goods eventually reach unsuspecting well-heeled westerners, who quite clearly have more money than sense.......which obviously means YOU....yes YOU sir, at the back of the room, with the bulging wallet !!!! Then having accumulated all those millions, sit back & relax on your luxurious Sunseeker Yacht, whilst the Skipper sets course for your luxury villa in the Caribbean....LOL !! Cheers.....

Best regards
Richard
OT a bit. Some years ago I knew the boss of a private company who shipped a few container loads of DVD players every month. He gets them manufactured in China from an electronics OEM maker who puts his company's brand on it. Coming out from the factory, the cost of a DVD player was a mere US$25! He was a small player and was selling them for about 3X more. Extrapolate a well know brand name like say Sony and the selling price at retail and profit is far, far higher.

Just imagine the profit Pentax makes making the DA lenses in Vietnam or the flash units coming from the Philippines... Cost cutting and bigger corporate profits make a compelling case for camera equipment manufacturers to relocate production away from Japan.

Today I can buy a brand new compact PnS camera like the Nikon L12 (made in Indonesia) locally for about US$95 retail (grey set). Yes it is that cheap.
06-11-2008, 05:32 PM   #29
Inactive Account

Hi creampuff

All things being equal, the major differentiation factor of the manufacturing equation between competing countries (discounting raw material prices and transportation costs) is labour rates and land prices ! The lower these two are, the greater the opportunity for profit-making. If you disagree, simply watch what happens to the fortunes of the gas-guzzling American automobile industry over the next few decades, as it spirals uncontrollably downwards ! If the average yank thinks that paying $4.00 a gallon for gasoline is extortionate, just wait till the shock of the $10.00 a gallon reaches their forecourts......it's here right now in the U.K. !

Best regards
Richard
06-11-2008, 05:54 PM   #30
Veteran Member

The US consumer has got it good for a long time. Guess the exuberance to spend to kick start the failing economy is well and truly over.

As to fuel prices, how long will governments holdout on reducing the tax they have been collecting per litre/gallon? Here in Singapore, the govt will not budge in reducing petrol duty, so it probably it's the same elsewhere. After all it provides a tidy way of filling the state coffers.

Was planning on a driving holiday around the Lake District. Looks like it won't happen, what with the prices in the UK, eek.