Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-12-2008, 03:51 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I think you forget something, guys...

As for flashes in particuliar, go find a compatible flash which works excatly as it should, without compatibility problems or exposure problems...

Even somewhat expensive (compared to Digital concept et all) Sigma flashes have problems. May I remind you that none of those flash use licensed tech from the OEM?

It is easy to design something cheap and more or less compatible when there's not even a couple patents to pay for.

Buy your compatible flashes... but you won't whine later when something goes wrong, will you?

06-12-2008, 06:47 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well we all know third party stuff can vary compatibility wise, that's a given.

If there is any whining, it should be directed at Pentax. Pentax flash units are overpriced for the lackluster performance and build quality. The Pentax flash system doesn't even come remotely close to the Nikon flash system.

Therein lies the problem, paying a premium for a less that satisfactory product that gives less than satisfactory performance. I would gladly spend the money for the 540 FGZ if it could even come close to the easy of use of the SB-800.
06-12-2008, 07:35 AM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Well we all know third party stuff can vary compatibility wise, that's a given.
And should be reflected (pun intended) into the final price.

If there is any whining, it should be directed at Pentax. Pentax flash units are overpriced for the lackluster performance and build quality. The Pentax flash system doesn't even come remotely close to the Nikon flash system.
As for performace, what exactly? The reflexion problem? Sure, it is indeed a b drawback of current PTTL implementation. Anything else? I only heard good reports about the 540, maybe you could explain a bit?

Build quality: you didn't describe anything new either. The hotshoe pin is known, what else? It's cool to sing the same song all day long but maybe you could enlighten us on those problems? Otherwise, I don't see the point.

Therein lies the problem, paying a premium for a less that satisfactory product that gives less than satisfactory performance. I would gladly spend the money for the 540 FGZ if it could even come close to the easy of use of the SB-800.
Premium? The 200FG price is competitve compare to other OEMs, the 360 is very nicely priced (it trumps Canon/Nikon,Oly on price) and 540 is competitive with Nikon, betas Oly/Canon.

Again, would you care to explain a bit more?
06-12-2008, 08:05 AM   #34
Veteran Member

the 360 is a few generations old, and is priced comparatively to new generation flashes. how do you account for that?

06-12-2008, 08:31 AM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by OniFactor Quote
the 360 is a few generations old, and is priced comparatively to new generation flashes. how do you account for that?
Compared to what?
If you take into account the flash system, sure the Pentax flash system could be quite better. Compared to the 540, I don't see a lot of differences.

It should be less expensive just because it is older? This is non-sense.
06-12-2008, 10:27 AM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by OniFactor Quote
It may be some generations old, but the 360 FGZ has almost anything (wireless flash, strobe, manual) you could wish for. The only thing I cam come up with is ti doesn't have swivel head...

As for a new flash: there is an urgent need for a macro flash, because there is none! Now, how difficult should it be to make a flash gun that is P-TTL compatible?
06-12-2008, 01:08 PM   #37
Veteran Member

thibs, head to head comparison, the Nikon edges Pentax for on-camera bounce flash. Shooting wireless, the difference is quite obviously in favour of Nikon. There is no contest in flexibility, simplicity and ease of use. The Nikon SB-800 can be picked up at about 20% cheaper over here than the 540FGZ. It's the same for the 360 FGZ.

How about erratic zoom mechanism to add to the chancy hotshoe pin issue?
Even if one can accept the mechanical and build quality issues, as the flagship flash unit, surely the iffy underexposed results when bounced can't be accepted when Nikon can consistently get it right.

Last edited by creampuff; 06-12-2008 at 01:15 PM.
06-14-2008, 03:16 PM   #38

I asked Pentax this same question about a month or two ago and they said they had nothing planned. But I don't blame them, they have a pretty good supply of flashes; very comparable to any other brand. And the 360 and 540 are very advanced as it is. What do you think they could improve?

06-15-2008, 12:55 AM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FastPhotography Quote
I asked Pentax this same question about a month or two ago and they said they had nothing planned. But I don't blame them, they have a pretty good supply of flashes; very comparable to any other brand. And the 360 and 540 are very advanced as it is. What do you think they could improve?
All other brands (well I am not certain about Sony) have a dedicated macro flash. Just check out Nikon's offering, then you will see, there is place for yet another... I for one am waiting for a long time for a PTTL macro flash. As it stands, there is zip available for Pentax...
06-15-2008, 02:12 AM   #40
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Andreas Quote
Why would you need a weather sealed flash for? The only time that I use my flash outdoors is when there is too much direct sunlight (and therefore shadows).

I can imagine that there are a few more situations where you could use it, but it does not look like a big selling argument to me!
Well considering that the flash has a capacitor in it that can deliver a kill charge (A charge that can kill a person i mean), having it protected against humidity would be a big plus. Plus i live in a dusty environment, so having a flash that is sealed to keep the dust away from moving parts would be a great as well.

Further more, just because you don't want/need/use something doesn't mean that some one else doesn't want/need/use something.

Last edited by Cideway; 06-15-2008 at 05:04 AM.
06-15-2008, 10:12 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by FastPhotography Quote
I asked Pentax this same question about a month or two ago and they said they had nothing planned. But I don't blame them, they have a pretty good supply of flashes...
If that is the case I won't be buying them; I say that now but will most likely end up buying the AF540 for the fact they have nothing better to offer. The only selling point right now was the latest price drop but then again it's still cheaper if I order from B&H or Adorama. With known issues I'm shocked PENTAX hasn't taken action and fixed it. It's not as if they need to redesign the entire unit, just the battery door and hoe shoe lock. They have to start treating their gear like cars; build a product, find the mistakes and fix it, don't leave it out there for YEARS and hope people might buy otherwise you're just leaving someone like myself open for options to want to buy elsewhere.

The Metz 48 AF-1 on paper and reviews seems like a better slave than the AF360 and in Canada at least, it's on par with the PENTAX equivalent both coming in at $249.99... Swivel vs. Fixed, Hrmmm.

STOP dragging your heals PENTAX and build a product that everyone wants, don't give me a reason to go elsewhere!
06-15-2008, 10:41 AM   #42
Pentaxian

Why not Metz 58AF-1?
Would be even better, secondary reflector etc.
06-15-2008, 10:49 AM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Why not Metz 58AF-1?
Would be even better, secondary reflector etc.
In the US, and probably Canada as well, it's significantly more expensive than the Pentax AF540FGZ.
06-15-2008, 10:52 AM   #44
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
In the US, and probably Canada as well, it's significantly more expensive than the Pentax AF540FGZ.
Mmm a pity
06-15-2008, 12:36 PM   #45
Veteran Member

as to the re-design of the shoe/door
The shoe should be metal like the other big 2 co's now have
the battery door should be able to take a 5th battery like the sb800