Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-06-2008, 09:14 AM   #76
VAV

QuoteOriginally posted by Fl_Gulfer Quote
Another lens that leaves us K100D users weeping....
FL_Gulfer - why do you say this?

06-06-2008, 09:21 AM   #77
RaduA

I think we're getting very ahead of our selfs here. With all the hysteria about weather sealing (or lack theroff) - especially on dpreview - we don't see the obvious: the current wide to normal zooms from Pentax is arguably the most modern range of any manufacturer today:

- entry level DA18-55 II - at least very decent for its class - 2008;
- medium level DA16-45 AND DA17-70 f4 - first a very good zoom on most of the accounts the second NOT BEING TESTED YET PEOPLE! 2003 (I think 16-45) and 2008;
- top of the range DA* 16-50 - of course a controversial lens but at least mine seems to be really good for a zoom if one don't have unrealistical expectations from such a lens - 2007.

And the other part of the hysteria it is the "price thing" which again it is UNKNOWN. We only have a MSRP - in other words nothing.

I believe we are getting spoiled by Pentax. From january we have 18-55 II, DA 35 Ltd Macro, DA* 200 and 300, DA 55- 300 and now DA17-70. And we are not even at mid year. A first in many years and I start to believe that some are nostalgical about those years with roadmaps only.

Too bad.

Radu
06-06-2008, 09:23 AM   #78
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by F-Stop Quote
I guess I'm along the same lines as Heather, what's with the F/4 glass Pentax is putting out? Perhaps it's a size issue and while 17-70 is a range I find I'd use the most I can't wait to try this lens out myself.

Considering options for portrait and wedding photography I'm poised to purchase the Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 & Tamron 70-200 F2.8 due to the range and faster glass where it's needed. The DA 16-50mm F2.8 & DA 50-135mm F2.8 would have been a consideration but with less than stellar reviews and posts I'm lost what to do.

A DA* 60-250 F2.8 would have been ideal or even 60-200 F2.8. I guess it means more revenue for every other lens company besides PENTAX if this trend keeps up. I honestly haven't tested what's currently available but from what I read I don't want to shell out the money I have and be disappointed. Of course, we still have a nice range of quality prime lenses at least.

'.

Just a couple things to this:

1-I know the 16-50 * is hit or miss, but can you show me the "less than stellar" reviews of the 50-135?? Everyone I know of who has this lens, used this lens or reviewed this lens...loves this lens. The 50-135 is an awesome lens...the mixed feedback on the 16-50 put me off so I grabbed the 16-45, but there is no denying when someone gets a good 16-50, the images are amazing.

2-Are you wishing the 60-250 * would be f/2.8? Because last I saw, it had been announced as an f/4. Or did that spec change? Was not sure if that was a "I wish for" or something else type of rant.
06-06-2008, 10:43 AM   #79
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RaduA Quote
I believe we are getting spoiled by Pentax. From january we have 18-55 II, DA 35 Ltd Macro, DA* 200 and 300, DA 55- 300 and now DA17-70. And we are not even at mid year.
It's true. Guess I picked a great year to get into Pentax. Now... bring on the 15mm limited!

06-06-2008, 11:41 AM   #80
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sample pre-production images

Ned Bunnell has posted some test images from pre-production samples of the DA 17-70mm f/4 at his
blog here

Colors look good but looking at the pictures of the log cabin, the right side seems a tad blur compared to the left side of the image imo. Remember these are pre-production samples and may not be representative of the quality of the ones that show up for sale in the shops. But overall it looks very promising.
06-06-2008, 11:42 AM   #81
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom M Quote
rparmar - it has nothing to do with being a fanboy or anything, I criticize as much as I praise Pentax - This is about you being too damn ignorant to accept the fact this lens is a replacement for the 16-45 and it's priced correctly at an MSRP of $599 - considering it will sell for $400 at Adorama and B&H within weeks of being released. Combine the good price with SDM, a weather seal around the mount, better CA and PF performance as well as more useable focal length, and only some twit who wants to complain is going to argue those facts as being negative. And you sir, are that twit.
Where does this come from? Why are you insulting someone who disagrees with you?
Is this place going the same way as dpreview?

This makes me very sad...
06-06-2008, 11:46 AM   #82
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
(I will not bother replying to any further flame bait and apologise to the other readers for the bandwidth already wasted on this pointless exchange.)
That's the smartest thing you've said yet.. However, I was not flaming you. You immediately took to me with your attitude about how wrong I was in stating that the 17-70 was going to be a better, faster 16-45.. And it is and apparently you don't like being so obviously wrong. Sorry about that but, you made your bed, not me.
06-06-2008, 11:48 AM   #83
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxke Quote
Where does this come from? Why are you insulting someone who disagrees with you?
Is this place going the same way as dpreview?

This makes me very sad...
Cheer up Pentaxke - I was only defending my opinion and the facts against an onslaught of irrational statements from a grumpy rparmar..

06-06-2008, 11:52 AM   #84
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom M Quote
That's the smartest thing you've said yet.. However, I was not flaming you. You immediately took to me with your attitude about how wrong I was in stating that the 17-70 was going to be a better, faster 16-45.. And it is and apparently you don't like being so obviously wrong. Sorry about that but, you made your bed, not me.
Actually, I don't agree: the DA 16-45 prooved its' worths already, as for the DA 17-70: we simply do not know. Although, I will admit that Ned's photo's look promissing...
06-06-2008, 12:37 PM   #85
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Please people, let's not start a flame war. It serves no purpose and it would be a shame if the thread gets locked up by the mods.

The thing is there is so often a tendency of people wanting to defend or champion the stuff they own and use as if to prove that it is indeed the best or that they made the right choice in buying the said equipment.

I've noticed that some who own the similar focal length Sigma 17-70 put up a vigorous case of it's merits while some do so with other lenses they already own.

There is no right or wrong or better or worse lens, period. The issue is this lens offers another choice for Pentax users to consider in their lens selection. Surely this is a good thing. There is no need to denigrate, put down or condemn what other users use. Let's stick to objective comments and steer clear of personal slugfests.
06-06-2008, 02:13 PM   #86
Site Supporter

17-70 looks like a nice lens. Not one I am interested in. Will keep the 16-45. Like rparmar, wouldn't give up the 1mm on wide end for 25 on top end. Have the 77 for that. Do like both lens constant aperture. Really helpful for manual shooting. Not sure the 17-70 will beat 16-45 in quality. The 16-50 I shot did beat slightly (seemed less gray).
Wish Pentax would bring out TELES! Notice its still tough to buy new 55-300 and DA300. Pentaxians want teles (especially longer than 300).
Do believe Pentax is less value now than a year ago. K20D is too expensive (K200D also). It will reflect in their sales. Should never be in the market without an entry level camera.
thanks
barondla

Enter POINT & SHOOT CONTEST #7 in P&S forum. Any camera type except slr. Any brand. Any subject. 2 days left.
06-07-2008, 06:39 AM   #87
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Should never be in the market without an entry level camera.
I'm sure it will be here soon
06-07-2008, 07:53 AM   #88
Site Supporter

Nothing Pentax brings out is soon! If its announced in Sept. that means they went about 9 months without a true entry level dslr. Not very smart. My Pentax sales are down because of this. Brings to mind the old saying don't quit one job untill you have another. The people you miss now in the entry market may never be reclaimed again. Once they are locked in Canikon its to late. Most will never switch. Very poor business decision.

thanks
barondla

Enter POINT & SHOOT CONTEST #7 in P&S forum. Any camera type except slr. Any brand. Any subject. THIS IS THE LAST DAY!!! Enter now.
06-07-2008, 08:32 AM   #89
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Like rparmar, wouldn't give up the 1mm on wide end for 25 on top end. Have the 77 for that.
Don't you mean "like that grumpy irrational rparmar twit"?

06-07-2008, 09:44 AM   #90
Not Registered

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
Don't you mean "like that grumpy irrational rparmar twit"?

Dont forget "damn ignorant"