Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-04-2008, 05:55 AM   #46
Veteran Member

i'm too lazy to search for pix

is the zooming mechanism of the Pentax unit internal (like the DA*'s) or exteranl where the tube moves out of the camera?

06-04-2008, 06:06 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Gooshin, the lens barrel extends outwards when zoomed at the tele end.
06-04-2008, 08:43 AM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nakey Quote
going OT for a bit, is that even possible? I saw a discussion on another forum, and it came to the conclusion that all F2.8 constant zooms are about 3X max. the DA* 16-50 is slightly higher than 3X, but all those 70-200s, 17/18-50, Sigma's 50-150 and the like, are all around the 3X mark

17-70 is about the 4X mark.

not that i wouldn't want to see it either. 17-70 F2.8? i'm There!
If you throw in enough glass in the design, almost every imaginable zoom range is possible. Tamron had a 28-105 f/2,8 SP once (discontinued now.) The question is not if it's possible, the question is, how will the IQ be (eg. AFAIK the jury's still out if the DA* 16-50 is better than the DA 16-45) and how big the design would be (the Tamron 28-105 SP was huge (!!!) and I don't think lot of people would be in for a 17-70 f/2,8 at the same dimensions and weight as the Tammy...)

That is the cleverness of the Sigma design really: by giving it sliding apertures, they could give the lens very good IQ, while maintaining reasonable dimensions and price...
06-04-2008, 08:45 AM   #49
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Richard Day Quote
We enjoyed that position when Pentax were losing money hand over fist, now that Hoya are in charge, that situation has changed somewhat. However I suspect that the market forces will come into play and Hoya may well have to rethink their strategy regarding Pentax.
I just found out that local dealer has raised FA 50mm f/1.4 price from €200 to €260 and it's price is almost like Canon and Nikon 50mm f/1.4 lenses. According to them manufacturer has rised the price. Hoya is really pushing the limit and I don't like it at all.

06-04-2008, 09:10 AM   #50
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
I just found out that local dealer has raised FA 50mm f/1.4 price from €200 to €260 and it's price is almost like Canon and Nikon 50mm f/1.4 lenses. According to them manufacturer has rised the price. Hoya is really pushing the limit and I don't like it at all.
Oh, now that price is as the others, Pentax is pushing the limits?
06-04-2008, 09:17 AM   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Oh, now that price is as the others, Pentax is pushing the limits?
Well, many of Pentax users (myself included) have chosen Pentax because Pentax system was better value for the money. Now this is not the case and that doesn't make me happy at all. Especially when I see price increase for existing products.
06-04-2008, 09:49 AM   #52
Veteran Member

This is the DA 16-45 f4 replacement. The DA 17-70 f4 is supposedly sharper, better CA/PF control and of course has SDM focusing than that of the DA 16-45 f4 it replaces.

So, when you can no longer purchase the DA 16-45 and don't need to spend the $$ on the DA* 16-50, this will be your only choice.

Being that the DA 16-45 f4 was consistently selling at $409, the price of MSRP $599 seems completely reasonable for a better, faster, sharper DA 16-45..

06-04-2008, 09:53 AM   #53

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sell your 16-45 to me at a cheaper price! Wahahah :d
06-04-2008, 12:54 PM   #54

Re: Price

I'm befuddled by the complaints about the price. obviously, the MSRP is high - it's always much higher than "street" price.

16-45:
Adorama: $339 vs. PentaxWebstore: $550.95

the msrp (judging by the pentax site) of the 16-45 is only $49 less than the new 17-70! for those 50 bucks you get way more reach, SDM, normal zooming characteristic, and perhaps better IQ.
once prices settle i'm sure the new lens will be at a similar cost. all the pentax MSRP's are 200-300 more than actual selling prices, at least!
06-04-2008, 01:56 PM   #55
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom M Quote
This is the DA 16-45 f4 replacement. The DA 17-70 f4 is supposedly sharper, better CA/PF control and of course has SDM focusing than that of the DA 16-45 f4 it replaces.
Really? Where does this info come from? I'd be amazed if it's got better IQ than the DA16-45. There's not much room for it to be a sharper lens, corner to corner, especially since not even the DA*16-50 has been heralded as having better IQ.

QuoteOriginally posted by architorture Quote
for those 50 bucks you get way more reach, SDM, normal zooming characteristic, and perhaps better IQ.
Actually I prefer the 1mm on the wide end to 25mm on the mid-tele. That's because for applications at 16mm f/4 is fine. For applications from 45-70mm f/4 is not fast enough. Even f/2.8 is not fast enough, which is why I remain unimpressed with the DA* zoom. I guess we're all different but I know why I have the FA43 and FA77 limiteds. The speed is simply a requirement for creative work.

The DA17-70 is perhaps best seen as a kit lens replacement. But oddly a MkII of the kit came out just prior! It's an odd decision to crowd this part of the lens roadmap, though I suppose the potential buyer confusion is worth the choice in features.

Want to see me happy? Release a DA16-45 successor with identical price, speed and IQ, but make it is a DA14-35. With SDM if needs be. Now that I'd buy!
06-04-2008, 02:00 PM   #56
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Never mind, I'll sell you my DA16-45mm...
Seriously, I too had the K100D and when I saw the SDM lenses released, I made the decision to upgrade to a K100D Super because of SDM compatibility.
Me too sold a k100d+kit lens and bought a k100d super body with the money.

Sold it with this lens in mind, although it's a little more expensive that what i though i'll have to wait for the 300€ mark, that's my limit.
06-04-2008, 02:40 PM   #57
Not Registered

QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
100% with you.

Increase on prices + loosy QC = bad step from Hoya/ bad news for Pentax.

I have seen already quite a bit of people that was thinking in buying into Pentax and then backed up when they started seeing all the QC problems with some of the new lenses (and the infamous and overblown hot pixel gate).
06-04-2008, 04:03 PM   #58
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
Really? Where does this info come from? I'd be amazed if it's got better IQ than the DA16-45. There's not much room for it to be a sharper lens, corner to corner, especially since not even the DA*16-50 has been heralded as having better IQ.

Actually I prefer the 1mm on the wide end to 25mm on the mid-tele. That's because for applications at 16mm f/4 is fine. For applications from 45-70mm f/4 is not fast enough. Even f/2.8 is not fast enough, which is why I remain unimpressed with the DA* zoom. I guess we're all different but I know why I have the FA43 and FA77 limiteds. The speed is simply a requirement for creative work.

The DA17-70 is perhaps best seen as a kit lens replacement. But oddly a MkII of the kit came out just prior! It's an odd decision to crowd this part of the lens roadmap, though I suppose the potential buyer confusion is worth the choice in features.

Want to see me happy? Release a DA16-45 successor with identical price, speed and IQ, but make it is a DA14-35. With SDM if needs be. Now that I'd buy!
not to nitpick, but creativity is a requirement for creative work.

what you are looking for are tools for shallow depth of field.

and as you have said you already have your FA limiteds for that.

Havign said that i think even at F4 the depth of field at 45-70mm is more than sufficient for that "wow cool picture factor", like others have said this is lens is more orientated for the average enthusiast rather than particular artists.

and seriously if you were that concerned with depth of field you would go Canon and pick up their F0.95 lens....
06-04-2008, 04:33 PM   #59
Veteran Member

What the hell is this stupid bickering about! Why are we making such a fuss over a new lens and making claims like over priced and poor IQ when it's not even fuly tested or on the shelves as yet!

Lets see how the lens performs and the street prices before we condem it! hell this is worse than the condemnation when the K20D came out and it's just 1 new lens!
06-04-2008, 05:31 PM   #60
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Torphoto Quote
What the hell is this stupid bickering about! Why are we making such a fuss over a new lens and making claims like over priced and poor IQ when it's not even fuly tested or on the shelves as yet!

Lets see how the lens performs and the street prices before we condem it! hell this is worse than the condemnation when the K20D came out and it's just 1 new lens!
because my friend, this is how we do shit around here.

i see you only joined in march of this year, you should have been here around the time when the "upcomming" pentax K20/200 D's were being discussed, seemingly in endless waves there would be pointless arguing and predicting going on and on and on....

this current discussion is nothing in comparison.

it is the circle of forum-life