Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-29-2015, 03:32 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
It is important, because one pixel at 15mm FoV, and one pixel at 300mm FoV, correspond to wholly different amount of magnification.
I take your point, but, unlike shake reduction where the amplitude will vary with magnification (and FL, of course), a one pixel shift is a one pixel shift. From Zygonyx's reply, I take it that SR will (sometimes, if not always) be overlaid on top of pixel shift, and that's why FL becomes important. I haven't seen that in other discussions on the application of the technology, but I presume others have.

03-29-2015, 03:39 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Likely, this will be a "tripod mode" function and SR will be disabled.
03-29-2015, 03:53 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Likely, this will be a "tripod mode" function and SR will be disabled.
But then it would be interesting to see with what specs one can use this feature without much punishment. Which FoV and shutter speeds are "safe" to use without much preparation ...
From top of my head, for anything longer than classic 35mm FoV, and with shutter speeds slower than 1/320, this will be rather hard to do without support. Some software hint on the screen would be useful too, like: "Your current FoV and shutter speed may allow for Foveon-like mode without tripod."
Now that would be cute.
03-30-2015, 07:46 AM   #19
Forum Member

Clarity = local contrast enhancement

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The article also talks about the new clarity enhancement feature in the K-S2.

This is a really fancy way of saying that the camera has built-in auto shadow/highlight adjustment. I've actually implemented a similar algorithm in a programming class, it was very interesting.

In the K-S2, it works well for good out-of-camera results, but I've found it to clip the shadows a little to enthusiastically.
The clarity function is an algorithm that is able to determine areas where local contrast enhancement would improve the image.

In other words, it should improve perceived sharpness.

03-31-2015, 04:38 PM   #20
Forum Member

Clarity sample image

QuoteOriginally posted by slocant Quote
The clarity function is an algorithm that is able to determine areas where local contrast enhancement would improve the image.

In other words, it should improve perceived sharpness.
Here are two images taken from http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/review/newproduct/20150330_694901.html

The first without the clarity function and the second with it activated.

http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/img/dcw/docs/694/901/14.jpg

http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/img/dcw/docs/694/901/15.jpg
04-05-2015, 06:11 AM   #21
Site Supporter

Would pixel shift technology wind up disabling the SR.? Or, could the shifting do double duty, both increasing color accuracy and providing SR? And, for that matter, what would it do to the AA simulator function?

Last edited by Spodeworld; 04-05-2015 at 07:18 AM.
04-05-2015, 07:34 AM - 1 Like   #22
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't understand much of any of this....my only question is would it make handsome squirrels even more handsome? If so, I am all for it!

Otis too!

Regards!
04-11-2015, 02:11 AM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
I don't think this is so easy to implement. You have to be very careful to move the SR by EXACTLY one pixel or you're asking for more problems than you're trying to solve. And one pixel left or right will be potentially different for each sensor so this is very camera-specific to implement.
It may be even more of a lens specific problem. I can see it working on lenses with little distortion at the outer portion of the image circle (somewhere from 35mm onwards). Wide angle lenses might suffer quite a bit at the edges.

Edit: I see Uluru already mentioned the issue with FOV....

04-17-2015, 05:16 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Spodeworld Quote
Would pixel shift technology wind up disabling the SR.? Or, could the shifting do double duty, both increasing color accuracy and providing SR? And, for that matter, what would it do to the AA simulator function?
You don't need the AA if you capture all light components for each pixel so the AA simulation would be pointless.

For the SR, you probably wont use this multi-capture solution in a situation that could require any help of the SR, you need to be still ==> on a tripod so you'll deactivate the SR. It will probably not work together as it is complicated to do for almost no interest.
If the solution is able to take the 4 pictures in less than ~1/30s then it may become interesting to have SR but it will probably not be the case in a first release.

---------- Post added 04-17-15 at 02:20 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I don't understand much of any of this....my only question is would it make handsome squirrels even more handsome? If so, I am all for it!

Otis too!

Regards!
If you have no plan to stuff Otis (I hope you don't), I suppose this will not help in squirrels photography.