Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
04-02-2015, 07:04 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
New K-mount lens: Samyang 100mm F/2.8 Macro

It's not like k-mount users are lacking for circa 100mm 1:1 macro choices (especially if you include used options), but Samyang just announced a new 1:1, MF, 100mm F/2.8 macro lens and it will be available in k-mount (and many other mounts, notably Samsung NX and Fuji X, where long macro lenses have been lacking so far). If the price drops a little after launch (currently $549 on pre-order), this could become an interesting option for Pentax shooters, though at 710 grams, this lens is certainly not light. Color me interested...

04-02-2015, 07:08 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I wonder why Samyang decided to make this lens. There are so many other choices, Tamron 90mm, Sigma 105mm, Pentax DFA 100mm, as well as other brands. And they are all f2.8 and 1:1 macro. Just like that Samyang 50mm f1.4.. this is not that outstanding. Not as interesting as the 10mm, 14mm, 16mm.. even 24mm, 35mm and 85mm Samyang lenses.. simply because it won't be much of an improvement over the existing choices, but it will be MF (not a big deal for macro) and not that much cheaper. I'll wait for sample photos and tests
04-02-2015, 07:30 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Expensive. With the asking price of Samyang for me it seems wiser to buy Tamron 90mm macro or better Pentax 100mm macro WR for some extra money. But maybe it will have stellar performance and then who knows ....
04-02-2015, 07:34 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery
I love my two Samyang/Bower/Rokinon/whatever lenses (and may purchase a third) but...is a 100mm really needed at that price? Now if the company produced a sharp and fast 400mm, I'd consider shelling out more $.

Last edited by quant2325; 04-02-2015 at 08:00 AM.
04-02-2015, 07:36 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I think we should appreciate the fact that Samyang's default position when releasing a new lens is to support k-mount, even when that means releasing something into a crowd (100mm macro, 50mm F/1.4), as opposed to releasing it into a relatively empty space in the line-up (16mm F/2, 24mm F/1.4, 135mm F/2)... That being said, I agree that at $549, they're unlikely to sell a ton of them, unless the performance is stellar. Do Samyang lens prices typically drop a lot after launch?
04-02-2015, 08:08 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I like my autofocus lenses. The only manual focus I would consider are the super wide (10mm) or a macro lens like this one. However, I have a good 105mm macro with auto focus, though I use manual on the lens a lot. I cogitated on whether to go with the Samyang 10mm or the Pentax 12-24 and decided on the later for the extra versatility, and the fact it took 77mm filters.
04-02-2015, 08:34 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Most Samyang lenses bring something unique to k-mount. I don't see that with this lens. It's just as expensive as the Pentax DFA 100 WR ($549 fulfilled by Amazon with USA warranty) unless Samyang prices drop quickly. The Pentax lens offers autofocus, weather resistance, smaller size, less weight. The Pentax 100 macro is ultrasharp with good color and contrast so I doubt Samyang will rival it for overall image quality, but we won't know until some comparisons get posted.

The new Samyang has more aperture blades for possibly better bokeh. You have to be really addicted to thin DOF to pick the Samyang for just that compared to all the other Pentax advantages. Extreme macro shooters might need the Samyang aperture ring.

04-02-2015, 08:58 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
That being said, I agree that at $549, they're unlikely to sell a ton of them, unless the performance is stellar.
Even if it is, the Pentax DFA and Sigma 105mm and Tamron 90mm are all excellent lenses, flat field of focus, sharp, contrasty, with AF, and they don't cost much more (Tamron is most affordable, I think? But even Pentax is very fairly priced)
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
The new Samyang has more aperture blades for possibly better bokeh. You have to be really addicted to thin DOF to pick the Samyang for just that compared to all the other Pentax advantages. Extreme macro shooters might need the Samyang aperture ring.
I think the latest Pentax DFA 100mm WR already has rounded aperture blades, no? And besides, with macro you always have very creamy bokeh - too much bokeh, in fact. The aperture ring is the only argument, especially if you use bellows or tubes, but Tamron and Sigma AF macros all have aperture rings. But it is an advantage over the Pentax. I still don't know why they didn't leave the aperture ring and focus limiter on the DFA. These are the only weaknesses of the DFA 100mm. Everything else is great, I enjoy mine a lot
04-02-2015, 09:26 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
Do Samyang lens prices typically drop a lot after launch?
Yes. I think I bought my 16mm and 10mm about year after launch for at least $200 below launch price.

Funny, when I went to see what else I could find about the lens, the Nikon crowd were saying the same sort of things, even to the point that Nikkor and Zeiss lenses in that length were "better", even though the Samyang only existed on paper at that point. To some extent, I think Samyang did a 100mm just to fill a traditional space between the 85mm and 135mm, but I think you nailed it w/ regards to NX- and X-mount (plus cine FF). Samyang is filling a void there, and it's just nice that they still believe in covering all the mounts. If they hadn't done a K-mount version because that focal length + mount is already well-covered, we'd be up in arms that they are ignoring us.
04-02-2015, 11:12 AM   #10
Veteran Member

One for a crowded field indeed. However, since AF is mostly useless for macro I do see the point for a purely manual focus lens. Samyang focus rings *are* much better for manual focus then any of the AF lenses already on the market. So why not a MF macro lens? Esp if it is for use on bellows or extension tubes.

Wim
04-02-2015, 11:37 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Actually, I just realized that the Samyang has internal focusing, so the lens doesn't extend when at MFD. I think this confers to it a significant advantage in working distance at a claimed 12 inches (30cm), versus, for example, the D-FA 100mm with about 5 inches (13cm). This is a considerable advantage, as you're way less likely to scare away shy critters...

EDIT: Oops, actually, not. According to the specs, it's 30.7cm MFD. The lens is 12.2cm long and the k-mount registration distance is about 4.5cm, so working distance would be about 14cm, compared to 13cm for the D-FA 100mm. Hrmph.

Last edited by Doundounba; 04-02-2015 at 11:50 AM.
04-02-2015, 12:19 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I'm starting to wonder if Samyang is angling to jump into the DSLR market.with an actual camera.

Release all these (mostly) full frame lenses ahead of time, building up a strong set of primes, then release a camera which has all the lenses out there on the market already so people know what they'd be getting.
04-02-2015, 01:24 PM - 1 Like   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
...and Sigma AF macros all have aperture rings.
Ummmm...not in the current line-up* and FWIW, the Sigma 105 is not available in K-mount. Current macro lenses in K-mount are (I believe) limited to:
  • Pentax 35mm
  • Pentax 50mm (has aperture ring)
  • Sigma 70mm
  • Tamron 90mm (has aperture ring)
  • Pentax 100mm
With any luck, the Samyang price will fall. In which case it might be a nice option, particularly if the lens has the typical Samyang metal build. As for the value of AF, I guess it depends on choice of subject. I seldom use AF with my macro lens.

Steve

* No current model Sigma Macro has an aperture ring.

Last edited by stevebrot; 04-02-2015 at 01:41 PM.
04-02-2015, 01:29 PM   #14
Pentaxian

If they would have gone to 135mm, they would have my attention.
04-02-2015, 01:42 PM   #15

Well I am a bit disappointed with this new Samyang lens. Macro lenses from Tamron and Sigma seems already great and I don't see what is the extra value added by the Samyang lens that should make me turn from my sigma lenses (70mm f/2.8 macro and 105mm f/2.8 macro) to this new lens. Also Samyang was a cheap and good alternative to sigma lenses but it is turning more and more expensive...
Anyway, I wait for the reviews !