Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-29-2008, 04:44 AM   #61
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Antwerp, Belgium
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,030
QuoteOriginally posted by Richard Day Quote
Hi Wim, I know exactly wht you mean about the Sigmas, I've had the same issues and decided not to revisit.

Why not do what I've decided, get the 55-300? It is a surprisingly decent lens with good colour and contrast, it's only 1 stop slower at 250mm and less at the shorter FL's, plus it's also pretty decent wide open and very good indeed stopped down a bit. I know it doesn't have SDM or WS, but it's always going to be useful as a small lightweight tele-zoom. The challenge is that it's also in short supply.
Hi Richard!

I've just been talking to a sales rep here in Antwerp, Belgium, and he was extremely doubtful about the DA*60-250/4 arriving anytime soon. Contrary to my German source who told me they could sell me one by the end of July. Not sure what to make of that...

BTW, I tried both the DA*200/2.8 and DA*300/4 and was extremely impressed by the build quality of both. Focus was fast and the tripod socket on the DA*300 worked so easily!! Another reason not to get a Sigma again as the tripod socket on that one was far from easy in use...

Biggest surprise was the rear element in both lenses sitting so deep. I expect they were build that way to accommodate a TC? I liked it because this means the Sigma EX 2x TC fits (it does, I tested it) and as such selling it may become easier.

Not sure about the DA55-300. I think I would rather use the FA*300 and switch back to my DA*50-135/2.8 for wider.

Wim

06-30-2008, 03:50 AM   #62
Inactive Account




Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Gloucester UK
Posts: 441
QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
Hi Richard!

I've just been talking to a sales rep here in Antwerp, Belgium, and he was extremely doubtful about the DA*60-250/4 arriving anytime soon. Contrary to my German source who told me they could sell me one by the end of July. Not sure what to make of that...

BTW, I tried both the DA*200/2.8 and DA*300/4 and was extremely impressed by the build quality of both. Focus was fast and the tripod socket on the DA*300 worked so easily!! Another reason not to get a Sigma again as the tripod socket on that one was far from easy in use...

Biggest surprise was the rear element in both lenses sitting so deep. I expect they were build that way to accommodate a TC? I liked it because this means the Sigma EX 2x TC fits (it does, I tested it) and as such selling it may become easier.

Not sure about the DA55-300. I think I would rather use the FA*300 and switch back to my DA*50-135/2.8 for wider.

Wim
Hi Wim

I believe that November is now the current "speculated" date.

I understand your view about 50-135 + 300 instead of the DA 55-300, but it's a big difference in weight and space in the bag, even if you compare those two against a 60-250. It will depend on your requirements for the shoot in question.

I scaled the size of the DA*60-250 against a DA*300 and my "guesstimate" for the size for the 60-250 (from the large photos available, I used the shot from DPR http://a.img-dpreview.com/news/0801/pentax/pentax_60-250mm_lens.jpg) comes out at 175 x 83mm v. 184 x 83mm (without hoods), the weight will probably be similar, if not a bit less at around 1kg.

The 55-300 is diminutive in comparison at 111.5 x 71mm and 440g.

I will probably keep the DA 55-300 even if I get the 60-250. Weight is a BIG consideration to me when strolling around. I don't mind lugging heavier kit to a specific location or event, but I think twice about general walk abouts!

As far as the Sigma TC is concerned, do they have all the "through" contacts to allow SDM to function? There is currently a lot of unclear speculation about TC's and SDM compatibility, it really does need a definitive and competent examination for both compatability, AF performance and IQ considerations.

Last edited by Richard Day; 06-30-2008 at 03:52 AM. Reason: added some detail
06-30-2008, 04:08 AM   #63
Inactive Account




Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 302
I'd much rather the Sigma 100-300mm f/4 over the 60-250.
06-30-2008, 05:03 AM   #64
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Antwerp, Belgium
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,030
QuoteOriginally posted by Richard Day Quote
Hi Wim

I believe that November is now the current "speculated" date.
I'm starting to think that there must be a curse on the DA*60-250/4! I'm double checking with my German source.

QuoteOriginally posted by Richard Day Quote
I understand your view about 50-135 + 300 instead of the DA 55-300, but it's a big difference in weight and space in the bag, even if you compare those two against a 60-250. It will depend on your requirements for the shoot in question.

I scaled the size of the DA*60-250 against a DA*300 and my "guesstimate" for the size for the 60-250 (from the large photos available, I used the shot from DPR http://a.img-dpreview.com/news/0801/pentax/pentax_60-250mm_lens.jpg) comes out at 175 x 83mm v. 184 x 83mm (without hoods), the weight will probably be similar, if not a bit less at around 1kg.

The 55-300 is diminutive in comparison at 111.5 x 71mm and 440g.

I will probably keep the DA 55-300 even if I get the 60-250. Weight is a BIG consideration to me when strolling around. I don't mind lugging heavier kit to a specific location or event, but I think twice about general walk abouts!
I understand your concerns. I would normally too. But in Namibia I will have the luxury of a private car, a first for us on our trips around the world. Esp in Etosha NP, where most of the photography will be from the car anyway, the weight won't be as much of an issue... I'm more concerned about the flexibility as I won't be able to move the car much to find the exact perfect angle so having a zoom should help me a bit.

QuoteOriginally posted by Richard Day Quote
As far as the Sigma TC is concerned, do they have all the "through" contacts to allow SDM to function? There is currently a lot of unclear speculation about TC's and SDM compatibility, it really does need a definitive and competent examination for both compatability, AF performance and IQ considerations.
Well... AF may be a problem and indeed it didn't work properly in the poor lighting of the store. But that's to be expected, esp since I tried it on the DA*300/4 first. Times 2 that becomes a f/8 lens, so hardly enough for AF. The DA*200/2.8 should be different, as I know from experience that it worked fine with my Sigma EX70-200/2.8. Both reverted to traditional AF of course, since my Sigma EX 2x TC doesn't have the powerzoom contacts indeed, so no SDM.

The TC fits without any risk of damaging lens rear element of TC front element and the combination traditionally AFs according to the resulting widest aperture.

Wim

06-30-2008, 12:02 PM   #65
Inactive Account




Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Gloucester UK
Posts: 441
QuoteOriginally posted by NicholasN Quote
I'd much rather the Sigma 100-300mm f/4 over the 60-250.
I had one, had huge BF and FF problems depending on FL setting, both it and I went back and forth to Sigma UK and the lens also went to Japan and was re-done, it never was fixed. I gave up in the end and had my money back.

It's also a huge heavy lump! Just not my cuppa tea!
07-01-2008, 01:39 AM   #66
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Antwerp, Belgium
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,030
Just had confirmation from Germany too that late October - early November is now the expected date for the DA*60-250/4...

Wim
07-01-2008, 02:10 AM   #67
Veteran Member
ftpaddict's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Yurp
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,669
Come november, Pentax will introduce YET ANOTHER DELAY!
07-01-2008, 02:33 AM   #68
Veteran Member
creampuff's Avatar

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Singapore
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,955
QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
Come november, Pentax will introduce YET ANOTHER DELAY!
Aye, why so pessimistic? So many Pentaxians are waiting to stuff their Christmas stockings and looking at this lens, one will need pretty big stockings.

07-01-2008, 03:27 AM   #69
Inactive Account




Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 302
QuoteQuote:
I had one, had huge BF and FF problems depending on FL setting, both it and I went back and forth to Sigma UK and the lens also went to Japan and was re-done, it never was fixed. I gave up in the end and had my money back.

It's also a huge heavy lump! Just not my cuppa tea!
Interesting you said that because it rates highly amongst others. Possibly just one of those "lemons" amongst a lot of good ones?

It is much lighter than the Bigma which I was considering and the constant f/4 aperture is a winner for me. And the price is very good too.

On the weight side I really dont mind I am 6'4" and 300lbs its all about performance for me.

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience though its never fun!!! Especially when the problem is never ultimately fixed and you have to settle for a refund rather than be a happy user.
07-01-2008, 03:40 AM   #70
RaduA
Guest




QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Aye, why so pessimistic? So many Pentaxians are waiting to stuff their Christmas stockings and looking at this lens, one will need pretty big stockings.
Creampuff,

If I recall well when K20D was launched Chris told us that 6-250 was postponed because "Pentax wants to do something really special and never seen before". For me 2-3 more months of delay means nothing (especially since I will almost surely buy this lens - I am not that sure about our whinning little friend above though) in comparison with the possible deception that this lens could not be so "extraordinary" after all.
So, let's keep our fingers crossed and hope for the best.

Radu
07-01-2008, 05:33 AM   #71
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Antwerp, Belgium
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,030
QuoteOriginally posted by RaduA Quote
Creampuff,

If I recall well when K20D was launched Chris told us that 6-250 was postponed because "Pentax wants to do something really special and never seen before". For me 2-3 more months of delay means nothing (especially since I will almost surely buy this lens - I am not that sure about our whinning little friend above though) in comparison with the possible deception that this lens could not be so "extraordinary" after all.
So, let's keep our fingers crossed and hope for the best.

Radu
I remember that and I still wonder what he could have meant by that. I haven't seen anything from any of my sources that points to any extraordinary features since, and Chris has remained very silent on the subject since... Of course Pentax has a history of surprising us. I just wished they would surprise us sooner rather than later.

But I would be happy with just a regular DA*60-250/4 to begin with.

Wim
07-01-2008, 05:50 AM   #72
RaduA
Guest




Hi, Wim!

My bet would be a truly apochromatic design done to perfection to eliminate all traces of CA. It would be really nice if Pentax could get out a 60-250 usable from wide open across all FL (Voighlander 125/2.5 and 180/4 style).
I still have high hopes for this and I believe it will be a classic for Pentax.

Radu
07-01-2008, 08:53 AM   #73
Senior Member
DJey's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Philippines
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 286
Should I wait for this lens or get the DA* 50-135mm F2.8.. the extra lentgth is a definite plus for me..? And how much do you think guys this cost when it comes out?
07-01-2008, 09:08 AM   #74
m8o
Veteran Member
m8o's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: 40°-55'-44" N / 73°-24'-07" W [on LI]
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,102
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DJey Quote
Should I wait for this lens or get the DA* 50-135mm F2.8.. the extra lentgth is a definite plus for me..? And how much do you think guys this cost when it comes out?
did j'ya read this thread? Answers to your questions are all fairly subjective, but I was sure both those points had opinions pretty well discussed in this thread already. I'm not looking to squelch discussion (last thing I'd want); only that that discussion is there [here] already for you to see instead of waiting for it to possibly form.
07-02-2008, 04:21 PM   #75
Junior Member




Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 48
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Wim, Pentax (and others) tend to adjust their prices according to US$/€ difference these days. Look at the DA35 macro price here and in the US, it is quite interesting.

The DA60-250/4 might go for 1200 EUR but if such, I expect the US price to be more toward 1600 US$ if not higher.
Huuhhh ? Is made of gold ? In that case I'd go for the 70-200 Sigma with HSM and buy the 1.4 AF convertor. Cheaper, faster between 70-200, and just as fast but longer if you wish.

lock
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
pentax news, pentax rumors
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Which Zoom Lens? "Tamron AF 18-250mm", "Pentax-DA 18-250mm" or "Sigma 18-250mm" hoomanshb Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 4 07-30-2010 09:50 AM
Sports "Highside Exit" took 1st Place in DPReview "Missed It by THAT much, Part 1" Challenge MRRiley Post Your Photos! 27 02-21-2010 08:26 PM
K20d-Frame Count on panals..works w/"M" & "P" mode only? arbib Pentax DSLR Discussion 1 08-28-2009 05:47 PM
"Hunger for a DA*50-135?" or "The DA*50-135 as a bird lens!" or "Iron age birds?" Douglas_of_Sweden Post Your Photos! 4 08-13-2008 06:09 AM
Anyone bring "E2" fluid or the "Digital Survival Kit" on a plane? m8o Photographic Technique 2 07-31-2007 06:20 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:16 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top