Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-05-2008, 07:46 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So where's the 60-250mm f/4 "buzz"?

I can't be the only one die'n to get his hands on it! [?] It may be the "DA*" for me...

There's little to no recent talk about it over the interwebz, regardless of that tease mentioned of "something special in store" when it was 1st discussed by Pentax officials and folks w/an inside-line early this year.

If you have beans please spill them here.

06-05-2008, 08:22 AM   #2
Veteran Member

It's been rumored and promised for so long, that I think most people who want it are in "wait and see" mode. Pentax trots it out for the photo shows and promise "real soon now". When B&H shows it "In Stock", I'll get excited.

p.s. Are your GPS coordinates where your boat is? Because my GPS maps show your location 60 feet in the water of Northport Bay, just of Hobart Beach Park.
06-05-2008, 08:43 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ericc Quote
p.s. Are your GPS coordinates where your boat is? Because my GPS maps show your location 60 feet in the water of Northport Bay, just of Hobart Beach Park.
No, thats the secrete location of the new 60-250. lol
06-05-2008, 08:54 AM   #4
Veteran Member

No chance of me ever owning this lens within this decade. I do think that it would be the perfect lens for my type of work. I don't really do wideangle. Ever.

06-05-2008, 10:39 AM   #5
m8o
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ericc Quote
Lol ... Great job finding that. I didn't want to point an arrow directly to where I live so I'm pointing to the location where the back of my house overlooks instead. I thought actually I had the coordinates pointing to the parking lot of the beach. (ala... Chris Farley & "I live in a van down by the river")
QuoteOriginally posted by BrendanPK Quote
No, thats the secrete location of the new 60-250. lol
Well then that's a Geocache I'd better find!
06-05-2008, 10:48 AM   #6
Veteran Member

In the last isue of "Shutterbug", they talk of a release for summer 2008 for the 55 f:1.4 and the 60-250. I'm trying to be optimistic, since I want that lens real bad.
06-05-2008, 12:17 PM   #7
Veteran Member

This lens seems to have become Pentax's 'Duke Nukem Forever'. I just hope it doesn't languish in limbo as long as that game has ('in development' since 1997!).

I was looking at some of the earlier pictures when it was first announced, and then comparing them to the pictures of the latest 'mockups,' and I've noticed a difference in the diameter- the original (here increases in diameter right above the zoom ring and again right before the focus ring, while the latest here shows it remaining fairly constant (along with the obvious changes to the height of the focus and zoom rings and the addition of the tripod collar). Now, if the first was based purely on the idea of the 60-250 and not on any actual design, this difference means jack diddley. If however they built it on the actual design of the 60-250, this difference belies changes internally- most likely a change in optical design, it seems to me. Personally, I liked the 'look' of the old lens better.

I think I'm spending too much time and energy on this....

06-05-2008, 01:06 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I am interested but not dying for it. The versatility is nice since it overlaps some of my kit but it needs to be stellar for what I imagine is going to be Pentax's MSRP on it over what I have seen the 55-300mm do.
06-05-2008, 05:32 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I'm waiting for the Sigma 70-200/2.8 HSM!
06-06-2008, 12:25 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clawhammer Quote
This lens seems to have become Pentax's 'Duke Nukem Forever'. I just hope it doesn't languish in limbo as long as that game has ('in development' since 1997!).

I was looking at some of the earlier pictures when it was first announced, and then comparing them to the pictures of the latest 'mockups,' and I've noticed a difference in the diameter- the original (here increases in diameter right above the zoom ring and again right before the focus ring, while the latest here shows it remaining fairly constant (along with the obvious changes to the height of the focus and zoom rings and the addition of the tripod collar). Now, if the first was based purely on the idea of the 60-250 and not on any actual design, this difference means jack diddley. If however they built it on the actual design of the 60-250, this difference belies changes internally- most likely a change in optical design, it seems to me. Personally, I liked the 'look' of the old lens better.

Could it point to the fact that Pentax has decided to make it full-frame (thus bulkier and heavier)?
06-06-2008, 04:53 AM   #11

Another long wait...

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote

This lens is also in the waiting game...let's see who is coming on top in this game.
06-06-2008, 05:43 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by clawhammer Quote

Design was changed for adding tripod collar, I think.
On the roadmap there is writen 'Targeted availability: summer 2008". The same text is with the new 17-70. And from time Hoya acquired Pentax, there wasn't delays in terms that Hoya gave to public. And because of that I think 60-250 will be here this summer
06-06-2008, 06:11 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
Lol ... Great job finding that. I didn't want to point an arrow directly to where I live so I'm pointing to the location where the back of my house overlooks instead.
I figured as much. I wouldn't want Salty showing up on my front porch, either.

QuoteQuote:
Well then that's a Geocache I'd better find!
So, funny you mention that. One of the reasons I want the 60-250 is to match with the 16-50 for an upcoming trip to Sao Paulo, Brazil. While I'm there, I'm hoping to visit one of the few remaining Project Ape caches outside the city.

Ape Cache:
GCC67 - A Project APE Cache in Brazil called Mission 4: Southern Bowl created by Project APE

My Profile:
Groundspeak : Profile for User: TresOkies

Since the lens won't be out by then, I'll bite the bullet on the 50-135. I'm sure it won't be a bad choice. Besides, I'll wait for the inevitable screams of pain from the naysayers when the first models of the 60-250 have centering defects on 5 minute exposures at f2.8.
06-06-2008, 06:18 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
I'd go the Tamron route if moved to.
06-06-2008, 07:41 AM   #15
m8o
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
I'd go the Tamron route if moved to.
Both Tami and Sigi look compelling to me, having positive experiences with lenses from both mfgrs... If only they were weather sealed as well. That's the main draw for me with this lens. Hypersonic focus the next. Exceptional quality expected implicitly of course. If per chance I discover I need the extra stop of light, I may still get either the Tami or Sigi.