Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-28-2018, 11:45 AM   #61
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by northcoastgreg Quote
And since you can usually find the Pentax lenses at lower price points, they might be the better option.

Yes, I was thinking along these lines also -- I just picked up the 67 120mm soft focus lens for very little from Japan to see what this would do. I haven't had a lot of time to play with it yet but from a few test shots it's an interesting lens to use. Focus is much more difficult with it though and it really needs to be on a tripod. The focal length is a bit long also. Hopefully I'll get a bit of time this fall to experiment with it more.

08-28-2018, 11:53 AM   #62
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It seems that lot of gear in right hands generates pleasing photos.
08-28-2018, 01:02 PM   #63
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by troenaas Quote
I have both the Lensbaby Velvet 56 and SMC Pentax 85mm F2.2 Soft. The Pentax doesn't have macro capability and the out of focus blur on the Velvet 56 is much smoother.
The macro is a nice feature of the Lensbaby Velvet. I own the Pentax F 85 2.8 soft and use it most of the time with extension tubes. The Velvet seems to running around $450 nowadays. I've seen the Pentax 85/2.2 soft for as low as $150, and the Pentax F 28/2.8 as low as $260.

QuoteOriginally posted by travelswsage Quote
Focus is much more difficult with it
Yes, focus is difficult. But you'll get the hang of it through practice.
08-28-2018, 06:01 PM   #64
Pentaxian

I picked one up also and am enjoying shooting with it -- I think you'll enjoy it. It is wonderful for still lifes and for flower photography as the images at your link point out. For more examples of this and the other lensbabies on flowers check out Kathleen Clemons galleries -- home
Oh wow, she certainly knows her stuff, and completely reinforces the idea that the right lens in the right hands produces magic! Thanks for that!

This is one of my favorite flowerphotography lenses on K1. The following was shot @ f2.

Clematis jackmanii by Torstein Roenaas - Photo 269759285 / 500px
Nice.

I agree with those posters who recognize that you can get very interesting results from this lens --- although it can be tricky. My only caveat is that I don't really see much difference between what you can get from this "velvet" lens and what you can extract from some of the older Pentax soft focus lenses, such as the F/FA 85/2.8 . And since you can usually find the Pentax lenses at lower price points, they might be the better option. Plus, with the F/FA versions, you get autofocus with the K-1.
Thanks for that insight greg, how does the F/FA 85/2.8 fair in terms of sharpness? It's not a lens I am familiar with.
I think everyone sees the velvetness of the lensbabies and think this is the be all and end all quality, but I think it's only just the start of some of the creative options it has. From what I have seen when stopping down it can get insanely sharp, and it's that combination of velvet and sharpness (in a singular image) that is attractive (best have a look at that link for Kathleen Clemons work to see what I mean).

I have both the Lensbaby Velvet 56 and SMC Pentax 85mm F2.2 Soft. The Pentax doesn't have macro capability and the out of focus blur on the Velvet 56 is much smoother.
Stopping down, does the Pentax compete well in sharpness, or does the 56 leave it for dust?

Yes, I was thinking along these lines also -- I just picked up the 67 120mm soft focus lens for very little from Japan to see what this would do. I haven't had a lot of time to play with it yet but from a few test shots it's an interesting lens to use. Focus is much more difficult with it though and it really needs to be on a tripod. The focal length is a bit long also. Hopefully I'll get a bit of time this fall to experiment with it more.
Before I got the Samyang 85/1.4 I thought switching from AF to MF meant you turned the focus ring a bit more, how wrong could I be. I learned that Live View is almost always used for focusing, especially at those wide apertures, I learned that nailing focus perfectly at f1.4/1.6 even with LV is insanely tricky and can take a few attempts. I learned that a monopod is not just for auld folk, but actually a must have for those with manual glass and trying to pull off very difficult thin DoF shots. So yeah I hear ya.

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
It seems that lot of gear in right hands generates pleasing photos.
True. I do however think some lenses are easier than others to get to grips with, and I meant this in terms of this lens, I don't think it's gonna be a lens that is easy to tame at first, practice and more advanced shooting techniques and knowledge will be required to get the most out of it.
Even something like a Samyang 85/1.4 vs the new DFA 50/1.4, both can create awesome subject isolation, but I'm betting the DFA 50 is easier to manage that task solely due to having AF as well as being a really recent release (thereby hoping that the AF is optimised and working well with what gear we have). The 56/1.6 doesn't seem to want to hold you hand at all...

The macro is a nice feature of the Lensbaby Velvet. I own the Pentax F 85 2.8 soft and use it most of the time with extension tubes. The Velvet seems to running around $450 nowadays. I've seen the Pentax 85/2.2 soft for as low as $150, and the Pentax F 28/2.8 as low as $260.

Yes, focus is difficult. But you'll get the hang of it through practice.
I grabbed my velvet 56/1.6 for $399AUD new, which is why I felt safe grabbing it at that price, knowing I could resell it easier for similar price or not much less.

08-28-2018, 10:13 PM   #65
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
Stopping down, does the Pentax compete well in sharpness, or does the 56 leave it for dust?
From f5.6 it is very sharp. Much sharper than the Pentax soft lens.
08-29-2018, 01:12 PM - 1 Like   #66
Pentaxian

Oh wow, she certainly knows her stuff, and completely reinforces the idea that the right lens in the right hands produces magic! Thanks for that!

Nice.

Thanks for that insight greg, how does the F/FA 85/2.8 fair in terms of sharpness? It's not a lens I am familiar with.
I think everyone sees the velvetness of the lensbabies and think this is the be all and end all quality, but I think it's only just the start of some of the creative options.

True. I do however think some lenses are easier than others to get to grips with, and I meant this in terms of this lens, I don't think it's gonna be a lens that is easy to tame at first, practice and more advanced shooting techniques and knowledge will be required to get the most out of it.
Even something like a Samyang 85/1.4 vs the new DFA 50/1.4, both can create awesome subject isolation, but I'm betting the DFA 50 is easier to manage that task solely due to having AF as well as being a really recent release (thereby hoping that the AF is optimised and working well with what gear we have). The 56/1.6 doesn't seem to want to hold you hand at all...

I grabbed my velvet 56/1.6 for $399AUD new, which is why I felt safe grabbing it at that price, knowing I could resell it easier for similar price or not much less.
Well just a note about DFA * and any modern topgrade lenses in general. They have really optimised performing. In almost any scenario. When special lenses like this, they have personality to be tamed. You know what you will have with lenses like DFA*, and with lenses like this velvet, you can and will be in surprise. Good or bad one. Fair enough, you know it from the beginning.
08-29-2018, 05:43 PM   #67
Pentaxian

Thanks for that insight greg, how does the F/FA 85/2.8 fair in terms of sharpness?
It's reasonable sharp stopped down to f8 or so, but I suspect there are better lenses to get if you're primarily looking for sharpness.
09-02-2018, 01:42 AM - 8 Likes   #68
Pentaxian

Whose up for some Lensbaby Velvet 56 pics?!

First up the Lens on the K-1

A series of shots taken at the aperture points/clicks on the aperture ring/dial. Focus is on the bottle label.

@f1.6

@f2

@f2.8

@f4 (still misty but showing real potential. Remember this is sooc, no editing or sharpening, you could work wonders here in post with boosting clarity and sharpening to areas you want).

@f5.6 (the sweet spot)

@f8

@f11

@f16

You can shoot between the aperture clicks/points, this one taken somewhere between f2.8 and f4

A double exposure (composite average) in camera shot, f2 with f8

Same again, this time f11 with f1.6

This shot a combination of f4 and f5.6 but not done in camera instead in post. Only the label is f5.6, the rest of the image f4.

Ok some real pics now (edited properly of course);

09-02-2018, 08:51 PM   #69
Pentaxian

Great shots Bruce! And nice f-stop sequence. I've also been experimenting with double exposures on florals and have had some good results with combos of F8, F11 or F16 with F4 or 2.8. I've found though that going wider than 2.8 on the lensbaby leads to to much of a "halo" effect especially on lighter or pastel colors which I don't like to much -- you can sorta see what I mean on the upper left side of the hennessy bottle at the widest apertures.
09-02-2018, 09:01 PM - 2 Likes   #70
Pentaxian

I don't remember exactly but this is probably an F16/F2.8 combo:
Attached Images

09-02-2018, 11:10 PM   #71
Pentaxian

Great shots Bruce! And nice f-stop sequence. I've also been experimenting with double exposures on florals and have had some good results with combos of F8, F11 or F16 with F4 or 2.8. I've found though that going wider than 2.8 on the lensbaby leads to to much of a "halo" effect especially on lighter or pastel colors which I don't like to much -- you can sorta see what I mean on the upper left side of the hennessy bottle at the widest apertures.
Thanks!

I don't think I would do too many double exposures in reality, I would more likely take two shots and stack, mask and layer to reveal sharpness where I want and keep the haze elsewhere.

My best example of this would be this shot, f4 with a f5.6 mask for the label only;

Another example, this a recent edit not seen above, and is exaggerated (too much imo), but surely gives an idea (f2 with f8 masking for the label yet again);

And one more new edit, a f1.6 this time a very quick edit to attempt at punching through the haze to the label;

I don't mind the very wide apertures, you just have to decide when and where to use them, the distance to the target, subject matter etc. I actually look forward to trying it with some portrait work, the haze can be advantageous given the right lighting and circumstances I feel. Here's some examples from the web that I think illustrate that not too badly;

f1.6

Far better than tiltshift imo (aperture unknown);

I don't remember exactly but this is probably an F16/F2.8 combo:
Nice one, good job.
09-04-2018, 01:58 PM - 3 Likes   #72
Pentaxian

Some more shots. I particularly like the last shot in the set as it's comprised of two frames, an f5.6 for the centre and f2 for the remaining glow in the frame.

1.@f4 I think

2.@f4 or 5.6

3.@f2 (I think)

4.@f4

5.@f2.8 I think

6.@f5.6 or 8

7. two frames combined, f2 for the main, f5.6 for the centre, stacked, layered and masked in PS.

Last edited by BruceBanner; 09-04-2018 at 02:10 PM.
09-04-2018, 08:34 PM   #73
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm actually a big fan of the company. I even have an original lensbaby in 67 mount and I often experiment on my 645D via 67 to 645 adaptor. It certainly opened doors that I didn't know existed - that's for sure.
09-05-2018, 05:22 PM   #74
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
I'm actually a big fan of the company. I even have an original lensbaby in 67 mount and I often experiment on my 645D via 67 to 645 adaptor. It certainly opened doors that I didn't know existed - that's for sure.
Got any shots to share? Sharing is caring
10-07-2018, 01:59 AM - 2 Likes   #75
Pentaxian

Rustlings Garden;

Image 5

Image 6

Image 7

Image 8

Image 9

Last edited by BruceBanner; 01-24-2019 at 01:13 PM.