Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-09-2015, 11:59 AM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax products at Orion Telescopes store

This evening I have received an email from the well known manufacturer for astronomers, Orion Telescope and Binoculars, that now they are distributing Pentax products. Of course, only binoculars, spotting scopes, and telescope eyepieces.

http://www.telescope.com/Shop-by-Brand/Pentax-Product-Center/pc/8/1639.uts?u...aign=US-Pentax!

Edit. The first link I have posted was not working. this is the good one.

04-09-2015, 09:45 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Great news. Someone at Ricoh must have hit them up and presented a long-range plan that they are in the astronomy sphere to stay (or someone at Orion was fishing for an expanded product lineup and noticing Pentax sales at competitors like OPT, Astronomics, and even Adorama and B&H Photo).

Under Hoya, it was rumored that Pentax would give up that space but this sounds like Ricoh will continue supporting these products. There will be a nice incremental sales boost from Orion customers, who tend to be value-conscious consumers but mainly unfamiliar with Pentax astronomy products. I have the Pentax 20mm XW eyepiece and it is excellent in my spotting scope. Highly recommended. BTW, bought my eyepiece from B&H Photo at a fair price. Now if Ricoh can just get Agena Astro to sell their stuff, that would get a lot of eyeballs and attention.
04-09-2015, 11:48 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Yep, I remember all Pentax astronomy products were basically canceled/sold.
Hopefully, I remembered badly. Eyepieces are indeed much known for quality (and price).
04-10-2015, 02:45 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Maybe, If they begin to make longer lenses for photo, they will also restart the line of much appreciated refractor telescopes, with new glasses and coating technology.

04-10-2015, 06:27 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Yep, I remember all Pentax astronomy products were basically canceled/sold.
Hopefully, I remembered badly. Eyepieces are indeed much known for quality (and price).
I recall that they closed down their astronomical telescope manufacture under Hoya, presumably because telescope sales weren't suffucient to justify continuing. Heaven knows if anyone seriously looked at a plan to bring them into profitability, or whether Hoya simply shut it down to make the sale more attractive.

Eyepiece manufacture, though, remained, indicating that they constitute a profitable line, along with spotting scopes and binoculars. Perhaps Ricoh, who've now demonstrated that they're in for the long term, will look at what's needed to resume making telescopes at some point.
04-10-2015, 06:44 AM   #6
csa
Loyal Site Supporter

The Pentax XW eyepieces are most desired for those in astronomy. They are among the top & hold their value extremely well! I have two that I'd never turn loose of!
04-10-2015, 07:44 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
I recall that they closed down their astronomical telescope manufacture under Hoya, presumably because telescope sales weren't suffucient to justify continuing. Heaven knows if anyone seriously looked at a plan to bring them into profitability, or whether Hoya simply shut it down to make the sale more attractive.

Eyepiece manufacture, though, remained, indicating that they constitute a profitable line, along with spotting scopes and binoculars. Perhaps Ricoh, who've now demonstrated that they're in for the long term, will look at what's needed to resume making telescopes at some point.
So that's rather good news then.
Nice. Ricoh may resume production but that wont be priority. Hope so.
04-10-2015, 10:45 AM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by goldenarrow Quote
Great news. Someone at Ricoh must have hit them up and presented a long-range plan that they are in the astronomy sphere to stay (or someone at Orion was fishing for an expanded product lineup and noticing Pentax sales at competitors like OPT, Astronomics, and even Adorama and B&H Photo).

Under Hoya, it was rumored that Pentax would give up that space but this sounds like Ricoh will continue supporting these products. There will be a nice incremental sales boost from Orion customers, who tend to be value-conscious consumers but mainly unfamiliar with Pentax astronomy products. I have the Pentax 20mm XW eyepiece and it is excellent in my spotting scope. Highly recommended. BTW, bought my eyepiece from B&H Photo at a fair price. Now if Ricoh can just get Agena Astro to sell their stuff, that would get a lot of eyeballs and attention.
I still have some Pentax eyepieces that perform quite nicely.

04-10-2015, 03:01 PM   #9
Site Supporter

If you are near the northeast coast of the US you can see them at the Northeast Astronomy Forum and Telescope show
in a week at Rockland Community College in Suffern, NY.
04-10-2015, 07:11 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

I thought the telescope factory was destroyed in the tsunami. Guess I dreamt it.
04-11-2015, 02:51 AM   #11
Pentaxian

I looked into it before, but have no idea about things. There are thee model with different eyepieces and the optioneel to connect to our dslr.

A quote
"Other Features: Durable- shock-proof rubber housing JIS Class 6 waterproof construction* with dust-shielding glass element in the eyepiece receptacle for all-weather viewing Nitrogen-filled body to prevent fogging caused by sudden temperature changes Easy-to-access focus ring positioned at the top of the lens barrel to facilitate focusing operations through an easy reach by either hand Collet-type eyepiece receptacle for smooth installation and removal of eyepieces Extendible lens hood to shield the observer's eye from excessive light and keep the objective lens surface free of dust and rain Sight line on the lens hood for easy targeting of the subject Optional camera adapter (PF-CA35) to convert the PF-65EDII into a 1190mm super-telephoto lens for digital SLR cameras- or a 870mm super-telephoto lens for 35mm-format SLR cameras. Lens Construction: 5 elements in 3 groups- ED glass elements with 65mm effective aperture. Eyepiece Ring Diameter: 31.7mm. Dimensions: 270mm (W) x 120mm (H) x 85mm (D). Weight: 1070g. Waterproof Rating: JIS Class 6. Accessories: Objective lens cap- Eyepiece cap- Case."

Does effectieve 65mm aperture mean f6.5?

How does this relate to the 560mm/f5.6 lens in IQ?
04-11-2015, 04:52 AM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
In astronomy, aperture means the effective diameter of the light collecting element. Whether is a lens or a mirror. No relation to the F from photo. Also, in astronomy, F, or some time F/D, means the ratio between focal length and diameter, in the same way as in photo, with the difference that you can't change the F, because their is no diaphragm.

The 560mm/5,6 is a lens with a 100mm effective diameter, at least in theory. I never saw one in reality. So, the DA 560mm/5.6 must be better in IQ that this spotting scope with his 65mm diameter.

Last edited by JimmyDranox; 04-11-2015 at 05:45 AM.
04-11-2015, 05:00 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I thought the telescope factory was destroyed in the tsunami. Guess I dreamt it.
Maybe you did. Memory is an uncertain thing. However, Pentax ceased telescope production in 2009, and the tsunami struck Japan in 2011.
04-11-2015, 05:09 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Maybe you did. Memory is an uncertain thing. However, Pentax ceased telescope production in 2009, and the tsunami struck Japan in 2011.
Given the relative prominence of Pentax sport optics in the USA compared to digicams maybe Ricoh should restart telescope production just for this market.
04-11-2015, 05:19 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Given the relative prominence of Pentax sport optics in the USA compared to digicams maybe Ricoh should restart telescope production just for this market.
Yes, and probably here, too. I can imagine the asset-stripping that went on under Hoya couldn't tolerate any wait to redevelop such markets prior to sale of the other divisions.