Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-20-2015, 06:53 PM   #61
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kooks Quote
Depends of the problem could be really complex.. or really really really easy.... i think that this one is not one of the complex ones. They had it working fine, so ofcourse looks like something changed in the code for that function.

Will see how long does it take to fix a... light.
There seemed to be some indication that there would be another firmware upgrade with new features coming so maybe they are going to wait for the release.

Or maybe some register is being written somewhere in a buffet overflow or stray pointer, and the fix is not trivial.

I don't know at all.

04-20-2015, 07:31 PM   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
After testing the 1.20 for two days, mostly under low light condition, and (subjectively) feeling that it runs the battery much faster than the 1.11 does, but offers no (obvious) improvements on AF over the previous FW, made worse by the annoying backlight in artificial indoor lighting, I've decided to downgrade. For what it's worth, I'm mostly using the DA*55 in K3.
04-20-2015, 08:53 PM - 1 Like   #63
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is this bug that hard to fix?? we have several days and still no 1.20b versión... come on RICOH.. shouldnt be that hard to fix a few lines of code.
That is a silly statement, no one with any software design experience or even common sense would think that. Even if it is as simple as you think ANY change to the code has to be retested which can take weeks or more. Especially in this situation where it looks like it got through the testing process in the first place.
04-20-2015, 11:05 PM   #64
Pentaxian

... Add on this that dev. teams might have other priorities, such as K3-II and KF-1....

04-21-2015, 01:25 AM   #65
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
That is a silly statement, no one with any software design experience or even common sense would think that. Even if it is as simple as you think ANY change to the code has to be retested which can take weeks or more. Especially in this situation where it looks like it got through the testing process in the first place.

You know what is the problem.. that each day that passes by people find out about this bug, that actually is nothing too serious.. but the problem is that it takes away a little of confidence in the company in a time when it is growing with great products, they cant forget about this part and focus only in development of new the new products cuz people talk.. and what they say?? that the latest firmware have a bug ( silly bug.. but a bug ), so people start downgrading the firmware.. and that is happening and is a fact... I do write software and do know that with some will it can be fix shortly.. maybe faster than many think...

Fixing this little bug will send a message straight to the costumers saying "we know the problem.. and we fixed it fast.." THAT helps the company, and that helps to grow confidence among the costumers.

In my case the bug doesnt affect me that much.. so i can live with it until the next firmware.. but looks like for some people that is not the case.

Last edited by kooks; 04-21-2015 at 11:09 AM.
04-21-2015, 02:40 AM   #66

Photos: Gallery
You know what is the problem.. that each day that passes by people find out about this bug, that actually is nothing too serious.. but the problem is that it takes away a little of confidence in the company in a time when it is growing with great products, they cant forget about this part and focus only in development of new the new products cuz people talk.. and what they say?? that the latest firmware have a bug ( silly bug.. but a bug ), so people start downgrading the firmware.. and that is happening and is a fact... I do write software and do know that with some will it can be fix shortly.. maybe faster than many think...

Fixing this little bug will send a message straight to the costumers saying "we know the problem.. and we fixed it fast.." THAT helps the company, and that helps to grow confidence among the costumers.

In my case the bug doesnt affect me that much.. so i can leave with it until the next firmware.. but looks like for some people that is not the case.
Yes Kooks
I agree with you,

but Pentax don't say "we know the problem.. and we will fixed it fast.." they tend to ignore the problems, and then some months later come out and say we acknowledge this problem
if they came out RIGHT AWAY and acknowledged the problem then it would help there sales as people would be more confident in there purchase of all Pentax cameras.
Fuji is the only company I know that tend to do this, so Pentax should take a lesson from there after sales service.

I think after sales service is very important and companies should come clean an acknowledge this
Tom G
04-21-2015, 10:04 AM   #67
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Software has bugs. It can't be avoided.

I do not think anyone could have said it better.
It happened and is not like we cannot use our cameras because of it.

04-21-2015, 11:52 AM   #68
Pentaxian

this thread needs a pic:

04-21-2015, 12:06 PM - 2 Likes   #69
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You know what is the problem.. that each day that passes by people find out about this bug, that actually is nothing too serious.. but the problem is that it takes away a little of confidence in the company in a time when it is growing with great products,
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom777 Quote
if they came out RIGHT AWAY and acknowledged the problem then it would help there sales as people would be more confident in there purchase of all Pentax cameras. Fuji is the only company I know that tend to do this, so Pentax should take a lesson from there after sales service.
If your confidence is reduced in Ricoh because of a minor bug that is annoying but not otherwise harmful I can only think you have little confidence to start with. I really am surprised the attention this is getting and the expectations that it be acknowledged and fixed in what seems to me to be a completely unreasonably time frame. Maybe they should just not release any new firmware. That would solve the problem.

I am confident it will be corrected, in the mean time what is lost? Nothing. Go back to the old version. Nothing on the new version is of any use to anybody without the new DFA lenses and as far as I know that is only Kenspo who has one at this point.

Mountain being made out of nothing.

Last edited by jatrax; 04-21-2015 at 12:12 PM. Reason: spelling error
04-21-2015, 12:10 PM   #70
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I just noticed I haven't UPGRADED to 1.11 yet. Now what?

<sarc>
04-21-2015, 12:11 PM   #71
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I just noticed I haven't UPGRADED to 1.11 yet. Now what?
You're doomed.

Last edited by Parallax; 04-21-2015 at 12:25 PM.
04-21-2015, 12:20 PM   #72
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
If your confidence is reduced in Ricoh because of a minor bug that is annoying but not otherwise harmful I can only think you have little confidence to start with. I really am surprised the attention this is getting and the expectations that it be acknowledged and fixed in what seems to me to be a completely unreasonably time frame. Maybe they should just not release any new firmware. That would solve the problem.

I am confident it will be corrected, in the mean time what is lost? Nothing. Go back to the old version. Nothing on the new version is of any use to anybody without the new DFA lenses and as far as I know that is only Kenspo who has one at this point.

Mountain being made out of nothing.
Is not if the bug is big or as little annoying as this one.. the point is that EVERYTHING counts when a company wants to grow in the market, and little details count too... dont forget that.
04-21-2015, 12:24 PM   #73
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
this thread needs a pic:
04-21-2015, 12:30 PM   #74
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Conventional wisdom is that there is little value and often some risk in upgrading firmware (except, perhaps, once when the device is new) unless there is a specific fix or enhancement you are needing. I held off on v1.30 for the K10D for most of the time that I owned the camera and only finally upgraded when I bought an AF lens without screw drive.

Wanna brick a motherboard or one of its subsystems? Start fiddling with the firmware.

Steve
04-22-2015, 04:20 AM - 1 Like   #75
Veteran Member

Is not if the bug is big or as little annoying as this one.. the point is that EVERYTHING counts when a company wants to grow in the market, and little details count too... dont forget that.
Canon has had their share of bugs, problems, issues over the years. They continued to grow.