Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-16-2015, 11:19 AM   #136
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Stavri Quote
The SDMs are going to be phased out of production, I thought that was common knowledge at this point...
Any official source regarding SDM lenses ?

04-16-2015, 11:23 AM - 1 Like   #137
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Any official source regarding SDM lenses ?
Lenses are made in batches, not continuous run. When the existing stock runs out . . . . . which may have something to do with why we are seeing all these new lenses now.
04-16-2015, 12:02 PM   #138
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
This is the one.
How can you sleep at night??? Not fair..keeping us awake 24/7
04-16-2015, 12:10 PM   #139
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Shanti Quote
How can you sleep at night??? Not fair..keeping us awake 24/7
Ok..will shut up from now on hehe

04-16-2015, 12:17 PM   #140
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aoeu Quote
I nearly bought Hoya progressive eyeglass lenses with Pentax SMC coatings but they were too expensive. I suspect that the SMC patents were the real reason that Hoya bought a camera company.
I thought those expired in the 90s.
04-16-2015, 12:20 PM   #141
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
I thought those expired in the 90s.
No wonder Samyang is doing so well....
04-16-2015, 12:29 PM   #142
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aoeu Quote
I suspect that the SMC patents were the real reason that Hoya bought a camera company.
Hoya only wanted the medical division, the camera division was extra luggage. And they already had coating expertise, AFAIK.

04-16-2015, 12:33 PM   #143
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Hoya only wanted the medical division, the camera division was extra luggage. And they already had coating expertise, AFAIK.
But they did promote SMC on their filters, at least for a while. I have not checked recently. And no idea if the Hoya 'SMC' is the same process or if they are just using the 'SMC' brand. Also, Ricoh has moved to HD so I was curious if Hoya kept the SMC trademark or process with a license to Ricoh.
04-16-2015, 12:45 PM - 1 Like   #144
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Stavri Quote
No wonder Samyang is doing so well....
Yeah but while everybody else is catching up on the SMC process, Pentax's HD coatings are in a league of their own...
04-16-2015, 12:51 PM   #145
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
My question is, "Where's the APSc mid-range?"
It was released just recently, you forgot already? There is no profit in the entry level DLSR, "enthusiast" P&S cameras are more expensive than the K-500 was. The third new camera for 2015 is a new GR. I strongly suspect the K-3II is being released shortly to use components that any flagship APS-C camera for the next couple of years will be sharing with the FF, instead of continuing to produce K-3's with soon to be obsolete components. Changes requiring a new shell or re-positioning of internals will be saved for the true K-3 successor, probably for Fall 2016.
04-16-2015, 12:51 PM   #146
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
But they did promote SMC on their filters, at least for a while. I have not checked recently. And no idea if the Hoya 'SMC' is the same process or if they are just using the 'SMC' brand. Also, Ricoh has moved to HD so I was curious if Hoya kept the SMC trademark or process with a license to Ricoh.
As I wrote, SMC was licensed to many optical glass users.

Pentax still uses SMC coatings on the interior elements. The SMC patents were improved and extended several times. Ricoh re-marketed the HD patents because the application process and chemicals are materially different from SMC. I believe Ricoh invested $1,000,000 in new evaporators to apply the HD coating. Pentax also patented Ghostless coating (first used for security cameras in Tokyo) and AeroBright and Ricoh patented AeroBright-II - which I think are the harder coatings used for the front element.

At the time Pentax declared SMC as a 7-layer process, Nikon actually claimed Pentax was being untruthful - that 5-layers was the maximum technically feasible coating process!!! Fuji (I think) claimed they had routinely done an 11 layer coating process for many years, so they were not impressed.

source - Blue, Asahi Optical Historical Club and Ricoh Imaging

Last edited by monochrome; 04-16-2015 at 01:01 PM.
04-16-2015, 12:52 PM   #147
Veteran Member

Guessing from how the prism housing on this camera and the FF looks we should be thinking more about system redevelopment.

I'm going to guess the Digital Pentax we know from the *st to the K3/KS2 will be very different than what we will see starting with the next gen of bodies of K3II and the 35mm.

My predictions (which I have stated before) with no insider knowledge. Even the people I ping for information haven't told me squat, so this is all hypothetical....

- new flash system. I'm hoping radio based. (so expect new flashes)
- new ring focus motors replacing SDM motors
- SDM lenses will be "upgraded" with new ring motors
- GPS-1 will be built in
- NFC/WIFI will be built in
- updates to movie system

What does this mean? To take full advantage of the Ricoh innovations and changes to the platform as a whole, we will need to be spending a lot more money than we originally thought. We will also however still be able to use all of our older goodies, we will just miss out on some of the newer features if we don't upgrade other parts of system.

P.S. I really want a DA*50-135 with the ring motor of the 70-200. I don't want them to change anything else... just give me that bloody motor!
04-16-2015, 01:04 PM   #148
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
It was released just recently, you forgot already? There is no profit in the entry level DLSR, "enthusiast" P&S cameras are more expensive than the K-500 was. The third new camera for 2015 is a new GR. I strongly suspect the K-3II is being released shortly to use components that any flagship APS-C camera for the next couple of years will be sharing with the FF, instead of continuing to produce K-3's with soon to be obsolete components. Changes requiring a new shell or re-positioning of internals will be saved for the true K-3 successor, probably for Fall 2016.
I thought the 'Sx' designations were attractor cameras to bring new users into the brand. You imply the range will now be one FF, one APSc flagship and a mid-range attractor that may have a short life (K-S1). The K-500 was for USA and EU to try to get into BigBox distribution - which didn't work.
04-16-2015, 01:06 PM   #149
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For those who just bought the K3, it could be painful !
But !!! For those, like me ( ) who have been waiting to sort things out, this could very well be a great upgrade from, let's say, a K5 ?

I don't care for video, GPS, articulating rear LCD and all of that extra jazzy stuff. All that matters to me is : AF, low light performance, "grain" (i.e.: noise) and PLEASE no floppy mirror!

Sure are interesting times with Pentax/Ricoh these days.

JP
04-16-2015, 01:07 PM   #150
Veteran Member

645Z
Full Frame
High-Range aps-c
Mid-range aps-c
Entry-level aps-c
GR
Q

Future lineup as i have said before. Only thing that might change this, is what the marked demands.

Last edited by kenspo; 04-16-2015 at 01:13 PM.