Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-20-2015, 05:36 AM   #406
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I don't see them leaving off a pop up flash. I don't know of any other competitive APS-C models that don't include a pop up flash.

04-20-2015, 05:40 AM   #407
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I don't see them leaving off a pop up flash. I don't know of any other competitive APS-C models that don't include a pop up flash.
Ricoh released two (inexpensive) flashes, AF 200FG and the 201FG, why do you think that is? We know the FF won't have it, and the K3II will likely be packed with FF tech. They're not following trends anymore, they're leading by example (cocky little sh*#$%^) My analogy of a teen reaching adulthood is somewhat apropos.
04-20-2015, 05:46 AM   #408
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If you look closely at the leaked photo, you can see a part line on the new body, just where the part line for the flash is on the existing body. You can also see the flash release button is still there, too (along with another feature I can't make out) so I'd say there is a pop-up flash on the basis of the only visual evidence, and not on someone's hopes or imaginings. Nonetheless, we'll found out one way or another shortly.
04-20-2015, 05:47 AM   #409
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Stavri Quote
wondering how will they be able to outdo themselves when the K3IIs comes around. Maybe the're won't be a "S" model anymore who knows.
There is no reason for "s" version - "s" meant filterless, all new cameras are filterless anyway.

04-20-2015, 05:47 AM   #410
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jaad75 Quote
There is no reason for "s" version - "s" meant filterless, all new cameras are filterless anyway.
makes sense...
04-20-2015, 05:48 AM   #411
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I still think a pop up has a usefulness (ie...fill flash). In those instances, I would rather use a pop up than to have to carry an extra piece of equipment, especially if I am in my pockets.
04-20-2015, 05:59 AM   #412
Pentaxian

I personally don't care about popup flash but I don't think they will exclude it as statistically people own 1.1 lens and 0.1 external flash. Losing sales over lack of it would be, well, stupid.
However if they do omit it, that's bad news for me & other regular Joes, because that would imply they target pro market with this -> high price.
04-20-2015, 06:06 AM   #413
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cxdoo Quote
I personally don't care about popup flash but I don't think they will exclude it as statistically people own 1.1 lens and 0.1 external flash. Losing sales over lack of it would be, well, stupid.
However if they do omit it, that's bad news for me & other regular Joes, because that would imply they target pro market with this -> high price.
I thought most people owned some type of external flash unit? Have you seen the size of the new D-FA's, Wait till the 15-30sh f2.8 comes around it will redefine the term "lens shadow". Folks ought to get the AF 201FG, it rotates vertically (the 200FG is the "classic" version)

We're looking at it as a "glass half empty" proposition, when we should ask:

What's the tradeoff of removing the built in flash entail, bigger pentaprism, more tech and lack of space (wifi, gps etc). If they would redesign the top, are we to expect further changes on the frame accommodating a flip screen perhaps?
Would one rather have a 97-98x viewfinder magnification and no flash, or keep the 95x and the flash. If ones like shooting in low light (or their eyesight is wavering) the answer is clear.

Last edited by Stavri; 04-20-2015 at 06:32 AM.
04-20-2015, 06:21 AM   #414
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jaad75 Quote
It's good then, but are you sure? I have not seen it in specs.
Consensus? :P I don't think there is something like a "consensus" just because 2-3 persons say so... :P
From what I see, there is a pop-up flash - no "consensus" can change it.
No I'm not sure. But any rather weak flash should be able to be a controller. Does the sync speed of flash set as controller differ from the master sync speed ? I don't think so. But maybe it can change something with P-TTL, I only use manual values for flashes.

For the photo, you have the assembly line between the main box and the past flash in any option because if they remove the flash they need to add a piece to the final assembly. At least if there is a flash, it's not on two "legs" as it was, you don't have the visible junction with the "hole between the legs".

I suppose there is a GPS button where the flash release was.

Last edited by Glorfindelrb; 04-20-2015 at 06:46 AM.
04-20-2015, 06:38 AM - 1 Like   #415
Pentaxian

The wildness of speculation is inversely proportional to the number of days till the official announcement...
04-20-2015, 06:40 AM   #416
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
Maybe, maybe not

I wish i could share everything..Im just so excited But i hope everybody understand, that i put myself in a bad position if i do so I try to share snippets now and then when i can.
The good news is we now know Pentax will be watching this website ..just to keep an eye on you!
04-20-2015, 06:40 AM   #417
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Glorfindelrb Quote
No I'm not sure. But any rather weak flash should be able to be a controller. Does the sync speed of flash set as controller differ from the master sync speed ? I don't think so but maybe it can change something with P-TTL, I only use manual values for flashes.
Yeah, controlling external P-TTL flashes is quite different than just triggering manual strobes with a weak pulse. That's why I thought they would put it in specs if it could do that.
QuoteOriginally posted by Glorfindelrb Quote
For the photo, you have the assembly line between the main box and the past flash in any option because if they remove the flash they need to add a piece to the final assembly. At least if there is a flash, it's not on two "legs" as it was, you don't have the visible junction with the "hole between the legs".
I'm not sure I know what you are talking about, but I don't think you can draw conclusions from such a low resolution photo.
04-20-2015, 06:41 AM   #418
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
The good news is we now know Pentax will be watching this website ..just to keep an eye on you!
I know they are monitoring and reading this forum yes
04-20-2015, 06:43 AM   #419
Site Supporter

If Ricoh/Pentax has any intentions to built the class leading K3 Mark II APS-C camera that has no pop-up flash, what could it possibly offer in terms of upgrades over the older K3?

Last edited by Stavri; 04-20-2015 at 06:59 AM.
04-20-2015, 06:57 AM   #420
Pentaxian

Possibly :
- New sensor / frame rate
- GPS
- Wifi / NFC
- New AF tracking system

Maybe :
- Build-in Radio trigger (with P-TTL support)
- Articulated LCD
- 5 axes SR
- Physical SR during vidéo
- Better video encoding (4K ?)
- Better frame rate in HD, FHD video
- Better intervalometer (access to smaller intervals, to time lapse bulb ramp) (ok this is only software)
- Better pentaprism magnification
- Connection to lenses for firmware updates and fine tunning at home
- Ligthroom thettering
- Internal focus stacking (ok it's a dream but not impossible)
- Open API for scripting (through a connected phone) or internal python scripting

Edit : The only interest of not having a flash is the room to put new elements.

Last edited by Glorfindelrb; 04-20-2015 at 07:03 AM.