Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-20-2015, 05:13 PM   #481
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SideRaptor Quote
Nothing confirmed but it's been made pretty clear it'll be the new Sony 24mp sensor (likely in the D7200) which has very good IQ. Hopefully Milbeaut M8-M (PRIME IV?) as the processor.
Does this one have onboard PDAF sites? Ah never mind, I'll go read about the 7200 - but I expect sensor PDAF to bring great things in R.Pentax' hands

04-20-2015, 06:05 PM   #482
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Frater Quote
Yes a simple solution would to go for a pro body such as Nikon D750 or higher (or equivalent Canons). That'll bring down the failure rate to a small and reliable one-digit percentage. But it's much more money than I want to spend on the issue resolution.
It depends on subject, focus settings and the frame rate, but it is usually closer to 20% fail rate with those bodies.
Yes I saw this as well before my purchase, but attributed this to the generally less capable AF of the K-5 (original) they used.
I guess both, the subpar lens and the body are to blame.
I suspect that a main cause of the AF-C issues may be, that the AF-C may not be sensitive enough for small reductions in the object distance. I.e. the defocus threshold, which is required to recognise a distance change and trigger an adjustment, may be higher than what the shallow DoF can bear.
Sure and it's even less responsive if you use the Extended Area AF function - that's why it's good to use the back button and your thumb to make the AF re-focus more frequently than it would by itself.
QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
Does this one have onboard PDAF sites?
I don't think so - it's the older IMX210 that does.
04-20-2015, 06:52 PM - 2 Likes   #483
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
Who said anything about Tuesday?
QuoteOriginally posted by saladin Quote
Everyone!
It is rather amusing... early in the thread someone speculated that an announcement could come as early as Tuesday based on the duration between leaks and formal announcements in the past. A few pages later that had turned into "the announcement is coming Tuesday."
04-20-2015, 06:55 PM   #484
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rangercarp Quote
It is rather amusing... early in the thread someone speculated that an announcement could come as early as Tuesday based on the duration between leaks and formal announcements in the past. A few pages later that had turned into "the announcement is coming Tuesday."
It is the digital version of the Sentence Game.

04-20-2015, 07:29 PM - 2 Likes   #485
Veteran Member

I've come to the conclusion that no one knows anything.
04-20-2015, 07:34 PM   #486
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
Add "on the internet" to the end of the sentence then it's absolute truth.
04-20-2015, 08:30 PM   #487
Pentaxian

A friend just got the D7200. Works well, focus is nice, but the nef files can't be opened with his software. It won't save in dng for some reason. While he waits for a software update he edits the files in a text editor, changing D7200 to D5500 or something so it will open.

If Pentax pulled a stunt like that the Pentax is Dead chorus would be deafening.

04-20-2015, 08:35 PM   #488
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
I would suggest that a very few know quite a lot, but they don't say very much (for very good reasons).
04-20-2015, 08:37 PM   #489
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Although the d7200 will be the measuring stick for the new K3ii its too early for such comparisons, Its going to take weeks after its release to really put it through the paces. So for now let's just say the D7200 is a good camera the Pentax we don't know much about it yet.
04-20-2015, 09:39 PM   #490
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I would suggest that a very few know quite a lot, but they don't say very much (for very good reasons).
Pic very related: (an Australian WW2 poster)

04-20-2015, 09:40 PM   #491
Pentaxian

And suddenly, nothing happened!

(Will there be any news this week at all?)
04-20-2015, 09:44 PM - 1 Like   #492
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
And suddenly, nothing happened!

(Will there be any news this week at all?)

I believe so, Wednesday or Thursday (most probably the latter)
04-20-2015, 10:51 PM   #493
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
A friend just got the D7200. Works well, focus is nice, but the nef files can't be opened with his software. It won't save in dng for some reason. While he waits for a software update he edits the files in a text editor, changing D7200 to D5500 or something so it will open.

If Pentax pulled a stunt like that the Pentax is Dead chorus would be deafening.
Surely... and does D7200 have internal raw development?
04-21-2015, 03:51 AM   #494

A friend just got the D7200. Works well, focus is nice, but the nef files can't be opened with his software. It won't save in dng for some reason. While he waits for a software update he edits the files in a text editor, changing D7200 to D5500 or something so it will open. If Pentax pulled a stunt like that the Pentax is Dead chorus would be deafening.
Such happens all the time, also we had the issue in the past. When Hoya changed the company name tag in the PEF files from "PENTAX" to "HOYA", suddenly a lot of 3rd party software wasn't accepting the PEFs any longer, and similar workarounds emerged.

That's probably the reason why the company tag is still PENTAX and not RICOH (if that's still true also for the latest models).
If there are PEF recognition issues again due to a new "unknown" model, no informed person would blame Ricoh (nor Nikon), because it's Adobe's responsibility to support new models in their software.

Actually, if is was programmed properly, the RAW files should be interpreted solely based on metadata, not on model name tags.

Last edited by Frater; 04-21-2015 at 04:06 AM.
04-21-2015, 03:59 AM   #495
Pentaxian

Four work-arounds for your friend:

How to edit Nikon D7200 files in Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop | Nikon Rumors